Disabling Parking Sensors

:
Mazda CX-5 2.2d SEL
Is it possible to silence the parking sensors completely? I tow a caravan and it seems that the parking sensor button on the lower dash is only a temporary silencing job. I have to silence the warning bleepers every time I change from a forward gear to reverse and back again, which can be a bit irritating when manoeuvring in a tight space to get the caravan onto a pitch.

I can now answer my own question. Mazda say that it is not possible to disable the parking sensors on the CX-5 when towing, only silence them if it gets on your nerves. I was told that on some Mazda models in the past there was an override switch wired into the system when a tow-bar was fitted so that the sensors were automatically disabled when hitched up. But this is no longer so. I guess that's progress.

I have the CX 5-- GT AWD and am not aware of parking sensors? Is that an extra that comes with the tech package??

It's not an extra, it's standard across the range. If you can't hear any bleeping when you are manouvering close any obstruction to the front, rear or side of your car then they are not working. I should see your dealer about getting this fixed. The temporary silencing button that I originally referred to is in the centre beneath the air conditioning controls.

It's not an extra, it's standard across the range. If you can't hear any bleeping when you are manouvering close any obstruction to the front, rear or side of your car then they are not working. I should see your dealer about getting this fixed. The temporary silencing button that I originally referred to is in the centre beneath the air conditioning controls.

In the US market, the parking sensor is not standard, nor is it available with the tech package. According to mazdausa.com, it is available as an accessory for the US market with an ON/OFF switch to disable it completely when towing.

My last F-150 had parking sensors. Same issues as you're having. I had to silence every time I put her into gear. No way to disable, just silence.

In the US market, the parking sensor is not standard, nor is it available with the tech package. According to mazdausa.com, it is available as an accessory for the US market with an ON/OFF switch to disable it completely when towing.

a dealer told me the parking sensor accessory was indeed listed and advertised for US, but never actually made it to the US market. Maybe MY2014...

The control button to turn them on and off doesn't just silence them, it keeps coming back on as they are automatically switched on when the car is put in to reverse.

a dealer told me the parking sensor accessory was indeed listed and advertised for US, but never actually made it to the US market. Maybe MY2014...
I guess that would explain why my dealer installed a Steel-Mate unit instead of Mazda's when I asked for the sensors, based on their appearing in the brochure. The substitution of non-genuine Mazda items on my first vehicle purchase in a dozen years rather annoyed me at first, but I'm starting to forgive them. They didn't put in a switch, unfortunately... but all you have to do is interrupt the power lead (tapped into the backup light) so it's pretty easy to do if I ever decide to open up the panel myself. For the aftermarket system, that is.

Mine came with backup sensors from factory I believe. They were listed as options on the Window Sticker along with the White paint, tech package, Bumper Guard, wheel locks. Mine has a On/off switch located next to the cargo light in left rear cargo area to disable while towing.

Last edited:
Back