Did someone overfill my tranny?

ehsande

:
2003 Mazda Protege5
2003 Protege5, purchased 10/2013 with ~83,000 miles on it.

I noticed something on the garage floor when my wife left for work yesterday morning. A quarter-sized patch of "clean" fluid.

I figured I'd check again after the car sat for 12+ hours. I discovered this moisture on the undercarriage. This is looking toward the passenger side front wheel:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/48379912@N05/12619797494/in/photostream/

Oil is full, and tranny fluid seems to be over-full. The Protege5 owner's manual suggests a tranny fluid reading for both hot (65F marking) and cold (20C marking) on the dipstick; my "cold" reading was at the hot level.

We've had the car since October. The first time at a shop all belts (including timing) were replaced, along with hoses and some other stuff. No talk or mention of anything concerning the transaxle.

The most recent oil change was done Saturday 2/15 at a drive-thru place; didn't have time to leave it at a full shop and wait for a call to pick it up. On 2/16 we drove it 600 miles round-trip to a family gathering. There was no mention of adding tranny fluid with the drive-thru oil change, and I wouldn't think (knock on wood) they would not say something about all that moisture down below. I've never tried to get my face under that part of the car so I have no idea how recent it may be.

I hope that, if something bad was going to happen, it would have taken place driving at highway speed for hours on end.

So, my question is - does it appear that it has vented excess oil?

Last edited:
I'm assuming you have an automatic tranny since you're able to check your tranny fluid level. I saw the same thing on my undercarriage this weekend for my MT. I had my clutch replaced a few months ago and I replaced the tranny fluid from what the shop put in. I filled it to the level specified in the manual, but something is definitely leaking underneath. Maybe I overfilled it as well? All of my bolts were tight. Interested to see what others chime in with. Thanks for starting the thread...you did the work for me :)

^^ What he said,..

ATF1_zps58c4c413.png

ATF12_zpsdce1fa26.png

So how do folks check the tranny fluid level for a MT? Jack up all four corners to as level as you can get it and loosen the fill bolt and see if any fluid leaks out?

So how do folks check the tranny fluid level for a MT? Jack up all four corners to as level as you can get it and loosen the fill bolt and see if any fluid leaks out?

Just lay on the ground reach up and unscrew the filler plug and the fluid should be right at the top of the threads. (stick your finger in and see how far down it goes before it touches oil.)

No need to get your level out but don't do it on a hill,...

Hmmm...car is pretty low with aftermarket suspension. Hopefully I can get enough leverage down there with a ratchet w/o jacking the car up.

For those stumbling upon this thread in the future, here are the diagrams from the service manual for the MT:

attachment.php

attachment.php

I would use ramps on a hill. So that when car was on the ramps it was level.... ;)

That sounds like fun,... cause if it rolls off the ramp you get runned over,... the danger mixed with beer is way funner.

Talk about a "Kids, please don't try this at home" scenario :)

Also, I tried to loosen the fill plug this weekend in my garage. No dice. My car's too low for me to get any kind leverage on the ratchet too loosen the plug. Oh well...

,... I tried to loosen the fill plug this weekend in my garage. No dice...

I remember reading to always remove the fill plug before the drain plug for that very reason,... they have been known to seize.

Did you have it lifted or go for the blind reach ???

No lift. I'll probably drive it up on ramps this weekend and then back it down. We'll see if any fluid comes out. Shouldn't be that tight, because I tightened them to specs a couple months back.

I'll probably drive it up on ramps this weekend and then back it down.

Good call sounds safer,... I'll do that next time,... then find the rear bumper and dig under from there,..

We'll see if any fluid comes out. Shouldn't be that tight, because I tightened them to specs a couple months back.

Just break it loose,... remove it once it's down,...

Yeah... Good idea. Didn't even occur to me that I should just break it loose.

What do u mean find the rear bumper and dig from there?

I need to make your way dangerous somehow,... so after some thought, I figured that while I was trying to dig in from the wrong end it might roll on top of me ???

These are my ramps,... their dangerous,.. I like them,...

20140225_010928_zps44a1cbf7.jpg

Last edited:
Does anyone know if there's a vent tube of some sort where the fluid from a MT would overflow out of if there's too much fluid?

Back