Defective Interior Metallic Door Handle

Hey Desert Fox,

Thanks for the advice on decalFX. They're right here in my home state. I ordered a 24 x 24 piece of vinyl to cut into strips and install over the plastic pieces. The front will be an inch or so short, but it will protect most of the plastic pieces. The rear 100%. ( Since I got them replace by the dealer, I put blue painters masking tape over them until I have a full-time solution in place.)

I'll let you know how it turns out.

WOW! I cannot believe it.

I knew it had to be defective! It was just too easy to scrape off the paint. Tran1981 thanks for validating what I originally posted here all along.

Interesting that the dealer didn't admit to the TSB. Perhaps they knew and that's why I had no questions asked. Probably will still install the clear vinyel when it arrives tomorrow.

Thanks again!

This is unbelievable.

I will be addressing this as a quality defect with my Mazda service department tomorrow morning and will report back what they say.

If I get no satisfaction, I'll be contacting the Marketing VP guy who sent me a letter shortly after my purchase asking me to contact him if I have any problems or concerns. After that, its the CEO of Mazda USA.

Stay tuned.....

Update.

Received letter dated 30 October from admin to Director of Marketing I wrote to with my complaint. This is almost 30 days AFTER Mazda USA issues TSB on the defective paint (ie, their fault). They don't appear to know about the TSB.

They apologize for the defect and cannot assure me that this won't happen again.

She includes two gift cards for $50 each ($100 total) towards parts and/or service at any Mazda dealer.

Mine is doing the same on the door handles. The scrathes also appear on both sides of th center console.

Once I get them replaced, I plan to clearcoat them or even paint them glossy black.

Anyone know how to remove the trim from the center console? Is it just as easy as the doors; just pull out and back?

Our handles look like that as well. I think it is from retracting the seat belt without holding onto it. The same colored piece under the console door is lightly scratched from the seat belt as it is put into the buckle.

Ideally, I would repaint them with better paint or apply some colored vinyl.

How did you come across the marketing department for Mazda? I have a 08-GT built before the Nov 1, 2007 note and the paint is certainly scratched up, it was scratched before I bought it, they painted over it and it became worse-paint on plastic is terribly easy to scratch. I bought some vinyl off of ebay (whole roll) for 7 bucks, but why should I have to take the time on a new car to make it right.

any help would be great, thanks.

DSherwood

I just had the chrome-looking plastic trim replaced in my CX-9. The dealer said there was a TSB for these. The new ones look a little better and the paint looks a bit thicker.

Forget about the re-paint. The dealer has to replace these per the TSB if a customer complains. Since you are on record for this problem, they should not give you a hard time.

door panel and console

I just got back from dealer, they replaced the doors and ordered the console trim pieces to replace no problem (finally). I complained when it was new (a year ago) and enough people raised a rant about it, so kudos to those of us real folks for demanding a good product for a good price!

thanks everyone on here!

When they issue a TSB on things like this, is there a time limit to get the faulty part fixed? I have no scratches or damage on my door handles yet, but what if I do in a year or so?

Thanks,

Ed

When they issue a TSB on things like this, is there a time limit to get the faulty part fixed? I have no scratches or damage on my door handles yet, but what if I do in a year or so?

Thanks,

Ed

Ed,

I believe that TSBs just tell the mechanic how or what to fix. If you go within the warranty period, then it will be fixed free of charge. Otherwise, you may have to pay for it.

My 07' has the same problem. No TSB for it though. I am pretty positive that the paint did not change by year that quick.

My 08 has the same problem. Also, the airbag light keeps blinking on me. I have an appointment with the service deptartment on Saturday ofr these issues.

Thanks,

Ed

You need to confirm that your car has a VIN number in the specified range before they will replace them. If you haven't seen the problem, your car is probably not in the range. It was so obvious. The TSB has the #s.

Try putting rubbing some hand lotion on the plastic or suntan lotion (both are which Mazda say cause the problem) on the plastic and let it sit for a few days and see what happens.

Just got back form the dealer. They are ordering the SAS module(?) for the blinking airbag light and the interior trim.

Mine too. I have a 2008 and I have scratches all over those same parts. I've been very careful, but I think my wedding ring and the buckle on the seat belt make the scratches. It looks like crap.

Also, I'm having trouble with a white powdery substance that is coming out of the dash vents. The first time it happened was immediately after i turned on the AC. The stuff blew right into my eyes! Now, no matter how often I dust the dashboard, the white dust reappears within a day. I'm wondering if it's related to the airbags or if it's some type of insulation from the circulation system...?

Anyone else having a problem such as this?

Thanks!

When I took it in, the service manager said he hadn't seen that problem and would have to call Mazda. I handed him the TSB and after a quick glance, he said he'd order the parts right away. They are sitting at the dealership now. I just need to find the time to take it in.

I got mine done yesterday. For those who has this done, is the replacement part 'sturdier' than the original part? I was given a cx7 as a loaner and I tried scratching the painted plastic part but could not produce a single scratch.

Speaking of defective cheap parts, after a year of ownership my door panel has developed a divet in it where I set my arm on the window sill when I drive. I have had this happen before, but normally it takes like six years.

Back