Dealership Lets me down once again!

:
2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech & i-Activesense
I just need to vent/rant about my dealer for a minute. I took my car in yesterday for it's last free oil change and to have them look at several other issues going on with the car. I also had the windshield replaced by an auto glass company at the dealership shop so the techs could look to see if anything was causing the rattle I get up near the glass on the drivers side dash. The list of things I wanted done were: Change the oil, fix the shaking hood as I found 4 spots where the sealant on the hood separated, inspect the headlights that have white clouding per the TSB I provided them, inspect the drivers side mirror for shaking, inspect the driver seat rails as my rocking has gotten worse. Considering they already did nothing about the seat 2 other times I wasn't hopeful they would fix it this time. The mirror, could have just been the road I was driving when I noticed it more "buzzy" the passenger so I wasn't overly concerned about that either. I really wanted them to fix the hood and replace my headlights. Guess what, they did neither! Dropped the car off at 8am, picked it up at 2:30pm and all that was done was an oil change (I had to fight tooth and nail to get the Mazda Moly 0W20 oil) and the windshield was replaced by a independent company.

About the hood, when I emailed and talk to the service writer I emailed him pictures of the broken sealant on my hood as I removed the panel under the hood to look at it, I also sent him the TSB about the hood shake from earlier models so he knew what sealant was need and what tool was needed for the sealant. When I picked the car up they said that when they drove the car, they didn't notice the hood shaking at all. Now the highway out by them is only speed limit 55 and I usually see the issue up around 65-70mph. I asked if the tech even removed the sound deadening panel under the hood to inspect the sealant spots and I was told no. NO!!!!! Seriously!!!! I gave them pictures with the problem clearly visible and they didn't even remove the panel to look at it them selves. I complained, they said they would order the new sealant stuff and I could bring my car back from the to do it. So another day my car has to sit at that crap service department so they can fix the hood, it takes 6+ hours for the stuff to dry before I can drive the car!!!! WTF!!!!!

My headlights, LED, have white residue showing up along the bottom edges and at the inside corners, it's clearly visible and there is a TSB about some seal being bad causing the white milky stains to form. The fix, per the TSB, is to replace the effected headlight units. The techs looked at my headlights, agreed that I was getting the white stains and saw what I was talking about. When I went to pick the car up, I was told that at this point they weren't even going to try to get replacements approved as they didn't think it was bad enough yet. What the hell!!! They told me to continue to monitor it and when it gets worse they will fix it. I don't like that all, I'm now one year into my 3 year warranty and would rather them fix it now so I have another almost 2 years incase something pops up with the new lights. I'm going to be calling Mazda today to discuss the issue and see what they say. The fact the dealer didn't even try even after they agreed their was a problem is piss poor. It's like this place just doesn't care about their customer concerns and want to do as little work as possible.

It seems like every other person goes to the dealer with an issue and the dealer fixes it, I go to the dealer and they do nothing! time to try a new dealer I guess.

SO much for the 2016's having all the foibles worked out...I somehow doubted they had.

Anyway, that really sucks, OP. You have legit complaints (as evidenced by TSB's), and the dealer ignored you. I'd go to another Mazda dealer if I were you. That one doesn't deserve your business. If you don't have another Mazda dealer near you, I would try AGAIN to calmly and politely explain what you wanted done, why, and provide the TSB's. I know you already did this, but try it again on a Tuesday or something. If you still fail to get resolution, I would contact Mazda directly. Mazda is a "small" auto maker, and seems to take driver/owner input seriously. You can get repairs authorized DIRECTLY from them, I am betting. I had something similar done on my 370Z via Nissan NA.

I've had my car in twice for regular service and each time I've been unimpressed. Everytime I ask them something they just blow me off. Couple weeks ago they tried to tell me I needed front brakes at 6,500 miles. Not likely. Turns out they stapled somebody else's check-off sheet to my invoice. I called the prior week to make an appt to bring it in and the guy says you don't need an appt. Brought it in the next Mon. at 9:00 am and there's a 2.5 hour wait. Took 3 hours for an oil change and the pipe fix. Their waiting area leaves a lot to be desired. It's about 10x12 and they share it with the collision dept. Lots of people waiting to get estimates on their cars.

Luckily there's another Mazda dealer 10 miles from my house so I think I'll give them a try next. They used to service my RX-7 and 626 and I don't remember any problems.
I wanted to stick with the dealer where I bought the car but the hell with them.

I just need to vent/rant about my dealer for a minute. I took my car in yesterday for it's last free oil change and to have them look at several other issues going on with the car. ... Dropped the car off at 8am, picked it up at 2:30pm and all that was done was an oil change (I had to fight tooth and nail to get the Mazda Moly 0W20 oil) ...
It seems like every other person goes to the dealer with an issue and the dealer fixes it, I go to the dealer and they do nothing! time to try a new dealer I guess.
Not every person go to dealer with an issue and dealer fixes it as you'd be expected. We think dealers still make money from car manufactures when they perform the warranty work, and they should be happy to do it, but lots of times they're not. Like Unobtanium said, may be it's time to try another Mazda dealer if possible!

Actually your dealer was willing to give you Mazda moly for free oil change is an indication that they seemed reasonable as my dealer would charge at least $10 extra for it. It could be Mazda North American Operations have tightened up LED headlights replacement policy as they're expensive, which is not dealer's fault. And the TSB for hood is not applicable to 2016 MY as I recall, hence dealer may have hard time getting paid by Mazda. Nevertheless I'd still call Customer Experience Center at Mazda North American Operations and complain.

Oh, the moly oil wasn't free, they charged a $30 upcharge for that!

I just need to vent/rant about my dealer for a minute. I took my car in yesterday for it's last free oil change and to have them look at several other issues going on with the car. I also had the windshield replaced by an auto glass company at the dealership shop so the techs could look to see if anything was causing the rattle I get up near the glass on the drivers side dash. The list of things I wanted done were: Change the oil, fix the shaking hood as I found 4 spots where the sealant on the hood separated, inspect the headlights that have white clouding per the TSB I provided them, inspect the drivers side mirror for shaking, inspect the driver seat rails as my rocking has gotten worse. Considering they already did nothing about the seat 2 other times I wasn't hopeful they would fix it this time. The mirror, could have just been the road I was driving when I noticed it more "buzzy" the passenger so I wasn't overly concerned about that either. I really wanted them to fix the hood and replace my headlights. Guess what, they did neither! Dropped the car off at 8am, picked it up at 2:30pm and all that was done was an oil change (I had to fight tooth and nail to get the Mazda Moly 0W20 oil) and the windshield was replaced by a independent company.

About the hood, when I emailed and talk to the service writer I emailed him pictures of the broken sealant on my hood as I removed the panel under the hood to look at it, I also sent him the TSB about the hood shake from earlier models so he knew what sealant was need and what tool was needed for the sealant. When I picked the car up they said that when they drove the car, they didn't notice the hood shaking at all. Now the highway out by them is only speed limit 55 and I usually see the issue up around 65-70mph. I asked if the tech even removed the sound deadening panel under the hood to inspect the sealant spots and I was told no. NO!!!!! Seriously!!!! I gave them pictures with the problem clearly visible and they didn't even remove the panel to look at it them selves. I complained, they said they would order the new sealant stuff and I could bring my car back from the to do it. So another day my car has to sit at that crap service department so they can fix the hood, it takes 6+ hours for the stuff to dry before I can drive the car!!!! WTF!!!!!

My headlights, LED, have white residue showing up along the bottom edges and at the inside corners, it's clearly visible and there is a TSB about some seal being bad causing the white milky stains to form. The fix, per the TSB, is to replace the effected headlight units. The techs looked at my headlights, agreed that I was getting the white stains and saw what I was talking about. When I went to pick the car up, I was told that at this point they weren't even going to try to get replacements approved as they didn't think it was bad enough yet. What the hell!!! They told me to continue to monitor it and when it gets worse they will fix it. I don't like that all, I'm now one year into my 3 year warranty and would rather them fix it now so I have another almost 2 years incase something pops up with the new lights. I'm going to be calling Mazda today to discuss the issue and see what they say. The fact the dealer didn't even try even after they agreed their was a problem is piss poor. It's like this place just doesn't care about their customer concerns and want to do as little work as possible.

Can you post those pics here?

Ride92- here's how it went down with my LED headlights.

Within 2 months of purchase, I was already noticing the crud on the interior housings. I went to the dealership after 8 months of ownership for my first oil change. I asked them to take a look at the lights because they shouldn't look that bad after such a short amount of time... especially considering what I paid for the Tech package. Come time to pick up my vehicle, and the service guy says "your headlights do look bad, but I suggest you come back for your next service on a weekday when the Service Manager is around, and after a bit more time they'll probably look worse too, which might help your case" (I was there on a Saturday for the oil change). I really didn't want to delay this, simply because they're only covered under the 3yr/36k warranty like you noted. If anything were to go wrong again, I wanted as much time left on the warranty as possible just to be safe. But I wasn't in the mood for a fight that day, so I just made sure I'd bring it up again at the next visit.

Fast forward 6 months, and I'm at the dealer for the fuel filler pipe fix. Again, I ask them to look at my headlights. Same Service guy checks me in, glances at the lights, and says "we'll see, but don't get your hopes up." I responded, "well, I know there's a problem as others on some car forums are stating they're getting new headlights free of charge". He goes, "yeah, there's a TSB, but not a recall". I could see where this was going, so I replied "that's fine. See what you can do and what they say, but if I need to contact corporate I will. No big deal". Off I went to work while waiting for the service to be performed. In the meantime, I found the thread on here about the headlight replacements, and printed off every page, and highlighted every instance of a member having them replaced in case I needed some ammunition for my situation. Less than 2 hours later I get a call, "Mr. XYZ, your car is all ready to go, and we have new headlights on order. They should be in within a week."

Needless to say, I was more than happy. They were replaced within the next two weeks, and so far they still look great!

Now, this dealership is also a Chevy dealer, and Mazda is definitely their smaller business. I've often read Chevy is a b**** about warranty work, and was wondering if his experience with Chevy was why he told me not to get excited about a possible authorized headlight replacement. Maybe it was my statement about contacting corporate if I was told they weren't going to be replaced. Either way, it was not nearly as painful of an experience as I was preparing for (as I didn't need to show him 30 pages of the printed thread I had in my other car all ready to go). He even said when I picked up the CX5, "yeah, your headlights definitely looked worse than the last time you were here". Funny because that was only 10 days prior when I asked for them to be looked at again during the fuel filler pipe work. Either way, they're now replaced, and I have another 22 months/25k miles left on my bumper to bumper warranty.

Lastly, I will say despite the good treatment I received over the headlights, I don't think I got Mazda Moly for my first oil change despite being assured they carry the stuff in the parts/service department inventory when speaking over the phone to set up the first oil change (I was speaking to some Admin when I asked about Mazda Moly). When I showed up for the oil change, the service guy (same one) gave me a weird look when I asked for Mazda Moly, and simply replied "we don't use cheap oil". I didn't bother saying I already called and was assured you carry it. So, since I am now due for another oil change in about 700 miles, I plan on going to the parts department and ordering/buying 5qts of Mazda Moly and the oil filter prior to scheduling the oil change. Then, when I do go and show up for it, I'm going to hand them the bottles of Mazda Moly and the filter and say "here you go. I've already purchased them". If they get annoyed, I'll show them the receipt from their own parts department. Then if they still refuse to use it, I'll ask "why, aren't you using real Mazda Moly Oil since its what I requested for my service?" If for some reason they get all weird and say they won't use the product, I'll simply cancel my appointment and leave. I have another trusted mechanic I've been using for 20 years, but I've been trying to have all of my early service work done at the dealer to help with any possible future warranty work.

Sorry for the long winded post, but I feel for ya!

cheers!

(drinks)

My dealer happens to be one of those Mazda Gold Cup dealers. Don't know if that makes a difference but they never gave me a hard time about anything. Always fixed stuff the first time no matter how small. Maybe you should look for one in your area.
http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/displayPage.action?pageParameter=accoladesGoldCup

I was thinking along the same line. My dealer is also a Gold Cup dealer and they take this award very seriously. I noticed this press release from Inside Mazda listing the 2016 Gold Cup dealers. http://insidemazda.mazdausa.com/press-release/2016-mazda-gold-cup-dealerships-announced/
Maybe Holiday Mazda in Fond du Lac is close enough to you in Monomonee Falls?

Good luck!

Sounds like a different dealership should get OP's business.

Sorry for your PITA dealer experience...

Yes, find another dealer that is willing to help, and please let Mazda know via email or by calling the 1-800 number.

That is the only way us consumers can help ourselves and others...

(drinks)

Mazda dealers can be a holes as I had a similar experience. I ended up calling Mazda USA and they sent me an $80 dollar gift card for my troubles. My mirror was fixed, but shakes again. My hood floats up and down at speeds starting at 40mph and I just don't watch it dance any more. Hood is just too thin to save weight and poorly reinforced. I am not surprised that a 2016 model suffers the same issues, as they probably won't be addressed until the next total redesign.

The only problem I think I have with mine is the indicator stalk is not quite stiff enough and if I try to nudge the 3 flash position, it clicks into full time. I've not noticed anything else although I can't say I've looked at the bonnet at 40mph!

SO much for the 2016's having all the foibles worked out...I somehow doubted they had.

Fairly certain every year car from every manufacturer has several TSBs. I've never owned a car from anyone that did not have several.

The only problem I think I have with mine is the indicator stalk is not quite stiff enough and if I try to nudge the 3 flash position, it clicks into full time. I've not noticed anything else although I can't say I've looked at the bonnet at 40mph!
Mine does that too. The difference between it and my BMW is quite pronounced in this feature.

I was thinking along the same line. My dealer is also a Gold Cup dealer and they take this award very seriously. I noticed this press release from Inside Mazda listing the 2016 Gold Cup dealers. http://insidemazda.mazdausa.com/press-release/2016-mazda-gold-cup-dealerships-announced/
Maybe Holiday Mazda in Fond du Lac is close enough to you in Monomonee Falls?

Good luck!

I see my dealer is on there

MAZDA OF EVERETT EVERETT WA

They have a sign I will take a picture of next time that basically says... if you aren't 100% happy we didn't do our job.

Back