Deadlydave's Sane 2

deadlydave

:
'13 Mazda 2
Picked her up this August with less than 20 miles on it, to replace my '91 BMW 318is coupe. Crystal White Pearl 2013 Sport 5mt. My plans are to keep the car pretty mild: just spruce it up a bit, make it a bit louder, tighten the handling, all without crapping on the 'spirit' that mazda engineered into the car. And if my brother's kids are nice, they'll get to learn to drive stick in it.

The constraints are a $100/month max mod budget, over a 24 month period. (because my Subaru will get jealous if I overspend on things that aren't for her). Non-Tire Consumables don't count towards the budget.

The Plans:
  • Wheels 15x8 +40 Rota Slipstream, in white (Integra/Civic Type R color inspiration)
  • Hubcentric rings
  • Tires 205-50-15 (undecided summer tire)
  • Corksport Catback
  • Bilstein PSS Coilovers (The CS spring/damper combo is tempting but I feel
  • Conservative window tint
  • Optional-10mm Rear Spacer/extended studs?
  • Optional-Stiffer Engine mount?
  • Optional-camber bolts?
  • Optional-Rear torsion bar
  • Leather-wrapped steering wheel via my fumblefingers or a pro. Would consider a Touring wheel but unsure of the control's plug-and-play ability in the Sport and don't want useless buttons. They're also pricey.

Right now, just running 195-60-15 Firestone Winterforce studded snow tires in the front, with white plasti-dipped front and rear emblems. Sorry for the crappy pic. Comments, complaints, and criticisms always welcome. See you later.

mAFhzoo.jpg

And The Plan:
536858_560353077564_1093432451_n.jpg

Last edited:
That budget will go a long way with this car! Subaru's suck up money WAY quicker in mods (but then again, they are also WAY quicker). I had a wrx and 2 foresters before the 2. Have to admit though, the 2 is quite a bit more fun for daily runabout at legal speeds. You might want to consider the corksport shift plate as well, its a really nice improvement for shift feel.

is it 3/5 door?

USDM only has 5-door and 1 engine. You want to feel superior? Go to MazdaUSA and configure a 2 and see just how screwed we get here as far as options, accessories, and technology.

You might want to consider the corksport shift plate as well, its a really nice improvement for shift feel.

This is the first mod I did to the car, and it is BAR NONE my favorite. It can't even be considered shifting anymore with how little travel there is.

Hello & welcome... Nice pearl M2... more piccys....

Fair list of mods going on there.....

Shaun....

juding by your plans, it might look similar to mine :D is it 3/5 door?
After looking at your gallery, that's the look I'm going for. It's a 5 door, as others have noted, and with 5 spoke instead of 6 spoke rotas.

That budget will go a long way with this car! Subaru's suck up money WAY quicker in mods (but then again, they are also WAY quicker). I had a wrx and 2 foresters before the 2. Have to admit though, the 2 is quite a bit more fun for daily runabout at legal speeds. You might want to consider the corksport shift plate as well, its a really nice improvement for shift feel.
I hear you on that, the mods on mine are worth 3 or 4 times more than the car itself. As far as the shift plate: My subaru's got a SS kit with delrin bushings, and I'm not sure I want similar 0 travel shifts. I'm worried that when I rush I'm already shifting faster than the trans should be, and the plate will further decrease the time. The WRX has a 9lb flywheel which drops revs very fast, so I'm used to having to move very quickly. I'll look into it, maybe if the deal's good enough I'll throw it on.

The mazda feels good, like a 3/4 scale version of my friend's old 2002 civic si.

USDM only has 5-door and 1 engine. You want to feel superior? Go to MazdaUSA and configure a 2 and see just how screwed we get here as far as options, accessories, and technology. This is the first mod I did to the car, and it is BAR NONE my favorite. It can't even be considered shifting anymore with how little travel there is.
I'm probably an oddball, as that simplicity is what I was looking for. I haven't owned a car with power locks, decent a/c, remote, traction control, or ABS in over 5 years. Alright, I think you guys convinced me on the shift plate, Adding to the List as Possible mod.

Hello & welcome... Nice pearl M2... more piccys....
Fair list of mods going on there.....
Shaun....
I tossed a pic of the look I'm shooting for in my first post, I'll get new pics today of the monster snow tires and emblems.

I just started on doing my emblems white, but I have not gotten any pictures. I thought it would be unique... but it appears that great minds think alike... :)

Anyway, looks good!

I hadn't seen it done on the 2 before, and I needed to do a winter durability test of the plastidip--I plan on dipping my whole wrx in the spring. Perhaps great minds do think alike, but your 2 is a LOT more impressive than mine ;-) .

A couple more pictures:
AW8dYK6.jpg

Prepared for Winter:
LLRTnIk.jpg

434wDEE.jpg

I thought the Mazda logo put two holes in the hatch, did you fill them in?

For now I have 2 white Vinyl circles covering the holes. They are tough to see in all but direct light. Might put the Mazda logo back on in the future, or fill them.

Ordered the 15x8, +40 Rota slipstreams in white. They should be here in a week or two. Then, hubcentric rings and tires. It's ball-shriveling cold by me right now, and the dedicated winter tire setup is paying huge dividends.

Also might reshuffle the mod list and make a one-piece undertray+front splitter for the car. I'm not a fan of a lot of the lip offerings out there and figured I'd dare to be different.

Looks like you could use some mud flaps from that last photo. I bet you could use the corksport undertray, pull off the OEM skirt, and construct a splitter that bolts into the aluminum CS tray. The corksport undertray sits about even with the underside of the bumper (not including the front skirt).

Looks like you could use some mud flaps from that last photo. I bet you could use the corksport undertray, pull off the OEM skirt, and construct a splitter that bolts into the aluminum CS tray. The corksport undertray sits about even with the underside of the bumper (not including the front skirt).
I may have to, even though those were not in the original plan. I also thought about using the CS undertray as a base, since it's ready to rock with mounting hardware out of the box. While I might be able to get a one-piece undertray/splitter made, the CS base with front addition seems like the better idea. I want to order their exhaust and will probably order other things through them, so their points system will help to take the edge off.

Wheels have arrived! Weighed in at 13.8lbs per wheel. If it wasn't nut-shriveling cold I would have test fit them to check suspension and fender clearance(which shouldn't be a problem at all anyway).
1620687_563197637044_1776493475_n.jpg

My tires have arrived, and hubrings should be here tomorrow. 205-50-15 Dunlop Direzza Z102 summer rubber. They're a brand new summer tire replacing the Z101 and are supposed to have a good blend of handling and wear characteristics. A while back a friend donated a set of blue Rays 2-piece valvestems to me, I just have to decide if i'm going to use those on the summer wheels or have my TPMS sensors moved.

Test fit. I was a little concerned about suspension clearance but front and rear looked alright. Depending on how the body work goes on my other car, I might be able to lower the 2 this summer.
jtuIhMg.jpg

Rc8UdCc.jpg

Kfm55cE.jpg

Soon....
Fb1iZPu.jpg

Wheels are on. Still stock suspension, so no issues with rub. Looks and feels a million times better than my winter setup.

IIc6XI0.jpg

Back