damn squeeeeeeeeeeeeeek!

cycoutMSP03.5 said:
anybody have squeeky shocks in the back?? or is it just my fat ass?

later
ry
my upper pillow mounts seem to be noisy, sounds like the clunk but it isnt

cycoutMSP03.5 said:
anybody have squeeky shocks in the back?? or is it just my fat ass?

later
ry

I heard a squeek in the rear anytime I drove over any imperfection in the road. Mazda replaced the sway bar end links and I haven't noticed any squeek since.

The squeek is NOT the rear struts but the rear sway bar bushings. The updated parts for the clunk are polyeurothane and need to be lubed with white suspension grease or they will squeek when warmed up. (yes)

I just fixed my rear squeak this past weekend... just jack the rear end, take out the bushings holdin the rear sway bar, lube the little bitches like a virgin on prom night (i used oil, but hear silicone grease is the way to go here), reinstall, and tighten like its goin outta style.

Fixed!

kokioki said:
I just fixed my rear squeak this past weekend... just jack the rear end, take out the bushings holdin the rear sway bar, lube the little bitches like a virgin on prom night (i used oil, but hear silicone grease is the way to go here), reinstall, and tighten like its goin outta style.

Fixed!
So i guess you have to actually remove the bushings? I sprayed mine with WD-40 and the squeak came back in a couple of days. Gotta do it again...

WD-40 will NOT be permanent solution even if you take them out. ;) You need the specialized Silicone Grease that he mentioned above. You can get it at any autoparts store. (headbang)

WD-40 is a mild lubricant that will evaporate with heat and pressure. ;)

kevducridr said:
WD-40 will NOT be permanent solution even if you take them out. ;) You need the specialized Silicone Grease that he mentioned above. You can get it at any autoparts store. (headbang)

WD-40 is a mild lubricant that will evaporate with heat and pressure. ;)
Amazing, I used wd-40 as a quick fix for a few days ( ended up being more like 6 weeks so far as I don't want the dealer touching my car!) and in no way did I say it was a "fix". But, here we are.

wd-40 is really only used for cleaning purposes. It is not a lube. It will wash off, very quickly. that being said, it does kinda work on mine, and I don't have to take the bushings off to do it. I'm thinking there must be some gap or space somewhere that's just enough to let some of the wd-40 get inside.

Funny thing is. Temp has been really cold here this last month. Only on the odd really warm days does it squeak and I have to go and grease it up again. I'm guessing the dry/warmth are causing expansion. My bushings were put on in November when it was cold, so maybe when it warms up, that little extra expansion is just enough to make a squeak. All guesses though guys. Unless it clunks ( knocking on wood) or I can not get rid of the squeak, I am NOT taking it to the dealer. It's not that it happens on every warm day, just that I've only noticed it when it does squeak, and it happens to be warm. Coincidence?

I think you got lucky on the WD-40 thing. (lol2) The squeek and heat are not coincidence. Regardless of latent outside temps, if I drive the car the rear bushings will squeek when I stop and get out. (doh) I will grease mine when I get some spare time.

If you can get the rear end of the car off the ground, it takes only 5-10 minutes to remove, grease and reinstall the bushings. :)

kevducridr said:
I think you got lucky on the WD-40 thing. (lol2) The squeek and heat are not coincidence. Regardless of latent outside temps, if I drive the car the rear bushings will squeek when I stop and get out. (doh) I will grease mine when I get some spare time.

If you can get the rear end of the car off the ground, it takes only 5-10 minutes to remove, grease and reinstall the bushings. :)
This happens to me too. When I get out of the car, it squeeks and creeks. But it seems as though it's coming from the location of the wheels or shocks rather than the bushings.

Its the rear sway bar bushings. I even have the updated E bushings. I have an appointment to take the car in tomm. morning. So ill let u guys know how it goes. I also sprayed a little Amsoil Lube on them, it went away for a few days but now its back.

yeah, its the bushings. The sound does kinda throw you off and make you think it's somewhere else. But, get under the car, and grab/pull/push your rear bumper while your there and you'll hear it.

This is actually how I found out about the wd-40. I just originally wanted to find the squeak, and got under there with the can, and started spraying stuff until it went away.

The basic rule of thumb when installing eurothane bushings is that you need to use the silcone grease on them. I knew mine would starting making noise because when I had the new rears installed back in January, they didn't put any on them. (2thumbs)

Newf said:
yeah, its the bushings. The sound does kinda throw you off and make you think it's somewhere else. But, get under the car, and grab/pull/push your rear bumper while your there and you'll hear it.
I have a squeeeeeek too it happened like 2 weeks after I went autocrossing and It sounds exactly like what you are discribing at first it sounded like it was my wheels then the front of the car but I now I had someone drive my car and it sounds like it's coming from the rear. Where are the bushings located??? I thought this was a common problem on MSP's not P5's.

Subghetto said:
I have a squeeeeeek too it happened like 2 weeks after I went autocrossing and It sounds exactly like what you are discribing at first it sounded like it was my wheels then the front of the car but I now I had someone drive my car and it sounds like it's coming from the rear. Where are the bushings located??? I thought this was a common problem on MSP's not P5's.
get under car, look at big red sway bar with racing beat on it. You'll see two rubber things, with brackets around them, one on each side before the bend. ta da...bushings.

Newf said:
get under car, look at big red sway bar with racing beat on it. You'll see two rubber things, with brackets around them, one on each side before the bend. ta da...bushings.
Thanks (thumb), I thought the red racing beat sway bar was only on the MSP's I'am going to check tomorrow but I think mines black.

Last edited:
Back