CX9 thru aluminum garage door

tstex

Well, daughter thought car was in reverse, but it was in drive...went thru a 2-car aluminum garage door that was painted w a light beige water-based exterior paint. The car is silver w a lot of the beige paint on the front hood and some of the roof. Since there is no body damage, is there a way to remove this paint w out damaging the silver paint/clear-coat. This just happened Saturday [yesterday] around 4pm.

To replace the entire garage door, it's going to cost $750, so I am trying to see if the paint removal is a DIY or not?

Thank you very much, tstex

I can't believe you would not have scratches, but you can try washing and waxing the paint off and see what you have underneath. Some pictures might help us see what it looks like.

You can try a magic eraser. I have had good luck with them removing paint transfer from cars. Just make sure the area you are working on is well lubricated with water and soap mix.

try something that's not too abrasive first, Meguiars clay bar is what I would try first, should pick up the paint without causing more damage to surrounding clearcoat.

Make her pay for it, problem solved. That is a shame, may want to take it to a paint shop for professional paint correction.

Thanks to all.

I bought three compounds and had one of them. I had WD40, and bought Acetone, Goo Off Goo Gone. The Goo Gone is not a strong as G-Off and I used it to clean off all of the chrome areas like grill, emblem and lights. WD40 helped some, but not too much. The Acetone [only areas w paint and no plastics] worked great. WE immediately [she too] buffed it w the oil-based Goo-Gone and the finish looked great. There were obviously some light scratches and some paint scraped off in the high or elevated areas, but I am beyond amazed that the damage was as minimal as I was...

Conversely, the 2-car garage door was totaled...she/the car was actually pinned under the garage door as she was 80% in the garage and the cables were still attached and pulling down the g-door on the roof and over the doors. She just got her DL 3 weeks ago, so we had a long talk.

Thanks for everyone's help, tstex

I would have thought goof off would ruin the finish. Did you try a clay bar?

Maybe it's time to invest in a cheap beater car!

Yes, Goo Off is much stronger and could have taken off the finish....I bought it but never even opened it..its more for steel applications, but I know I can use it at my ranch eventually.

Thanks, tstex

Even if you're able to remove the paint, there will almost certainly be (at leaast) minor damage or abrasions to the clear coat.

Do you happen to have either a rotary or DA polisher, preferably the latter?
I have removed and at least slightly repaired very similar damage to my wife's CX-5, where paint wasn't missing all together. She dragged the front bumper across the painted garage wall. I used a 6" Car Pro denim buffing pad, which is the supposed equivalent to IIRC 3K grit, and a heavy cut compound. It works well and rather gently with a DA polisher. Cleaned up the abrasions left behind in the clear. And removed the superficial garage wall paint.

If these tools aren't available to you, I'd suggest having a professional buff it out. If there isn't any paint missing, chances are, it'll look good as new.

Thanks. I actually have an orbital sander, but I believe w 2-3 diff areas that need some paint, I am going to leave it up to a professional. At least by removing the paint as I did, you cannot even tell anything has happened. The paint will help cover where needed and then let him finish it.

THanks again,
tstex

Back