CX9 as a ski vehicle?

c_rex

:
2008 CX-9 GT AWD (Galaxy Grey)
I know that I have to change my tires from stock but before I go to the trouble of buying new rims/tires I'd like to know if anyone uses their CX9 successfully as a ski vehicle. Particularly in Washington state (Steven's Pass/Crystal Mtn.) but anywhere with real mountains would be great.

TIA for your input.

I am taking mine to Lake Tahoe with Yoko Spec-X on it.
I will post my experiences in four days.

I'll be heading up to Mt Hood in a couple of weeks with the Blizzaks and some chains just to be safe. Don't know if that will help you now...

I went up a week ago to Mount Hood with my GT AWD and blizzaks. I drove through downtown government camp with unplowed roads and 3-4" of snow then up to timberline on packed snow. Absolutely no problems which is what I expected.

I wish the system gave more feedback that it was doing something. I was wondering if I was actually using the AWD system at all since the car seemed to handle the conditions without any drama.

Yeah, although it would be nice to know the 4WD was working. I wish I could turn it off and see what it was like driving around with just the FWD. Or it would be cool to see some light saying it switched into 4wd snow mode or something.

So I just had my first experience with snow and ice with the Blizzaks and I have to say I'm pretty impressed. No issues whatsoever. Great stopping and starting. A little squirelly at times in the slush, but overall it was great.

I've been driving my cx9 fitted with Blizzak DMV1's over the past month in Minneapolis. Today I drove my wife's Audi A4 to work. The difference in traction was substantial. The cx9 with good winter tires is fantastic.

I've been driving my cx9 fitted with Blizzak DMV1's over the past month in Minneapolis. Today I drove my wife's Audi A4 to work. The difference in traction was substantial. The cx9 with good winter tires is fantastic.

What kind of tires on the A4?

I had a 01 S4 and it remains the most sure footed car I have ever driven in the snow. I have DMV1s on my 9 too. I still finding stopping to be touch and go.

on my AWD GT I have blizzaks on 17" cx-7 rims. I've been back and fourth to my ski house in vermont and have had no issues. Really solid traction.

My FWD with Blizzaks drives fine in any winter conditions. Not sure what the OP question is, every car I have ever owned, RWD, FWD, AWD, sedan, wagon, SUV, have all made a fine ski vehicle when shod with snow tires.

Just spent a good amount of time in VT. No huge snowfalls (a couple days with 6" or so on the ground) but plenty of snow/ice on the roads. My Touring AWD is fitted with Blizzaks and there were no problems at all. This included a steep driveway that gets icy and requires AWD (FWD even with chains often doesn't cut it). If you accelerate too quickly in a turn you get a little drama but not much. I'm coming from a Subaru and was expecting to give up a little in terms of snow performance but so far the CX-9 has impressed.

Now I'm back in NY waiting for a warm enough day to wash the salt off the car.

Just received my new wheels/tires from Tire Rack. Color me impressed at the 2 day delivery included in price. They are no longer stocking Blizzaks for the year so I was limited to the Pirelli Scorpions but reviews seem favorable.
I do have questions though as I've never run winter tires before.
1) How do I know the TPMS units are installed? I bought them but really don't know what they look like and my new stems look as normal. Are they inside the tire?

2) When using winter tires does one reduce air pressure or run them as rated on the tire?

3) Is it okay to install them and run them on the street or should I only use them when headed to snow/ice (I don't much mind doing the installation repeatedly).

Thanks again for all your wisdom.

You will know if the TPMS are working because if they are you won't see a light blinking at you on the dash every time you start up the car. They are installed inside the stem. I got the Blizzaks w/ wheels from tirerack w/out the sensors so I see this light all the time.

Unless you are really trying to save tread life on your tires I wouldn't go through the hassle of having to mount and dismount your winter set up each time you need them. Just make sure you don't run them too long after winter because they will wear tread very quickly in warm weather.

Good question about the PSI, I pumped mine up to about 39 PSI, which I think is probably a little high, but I was worried about mileage. The Blizzaks have a PSI range of 34-44 I think, so I decided to split the difference. Anyone know a good PSI to run?

You will know if the TPMS are working because if they are you won't see a light blinking at you on the dash every time you start up the car. They are installed inside the stem. I got the Blizzaks w/ wheels from tirerack w/out the sensors so I see this light all the time.

Unless you are really trying to save tread life on your tires I wouldn't go through the hassle of having to mount and dismount your winter set up each time you need them. Just make sure you don't run them too long after winter because they will wear tread very quickly in warm weather.

Good question about the PSI, I pumped mine up to about 39 PSI, which I think is probably a little high, but I was worried about mileage. The Blizzaks have a PSI range of 34-44 I think, so I decided to split the difference. Anyone know a good PSI to run?

As a rule, winter tires which are a softer rubber usually get run about 4 psi higher the what is listed on placecard...

Back