CX5 - various tests on track

A good video!
I love the effort Mazda has put into advertising the CX5 as a CUV that could go to a track even though 99.9998% will never do so.

I feel the truth in the advertising just from my time behind the wheel on highway and on/off ramps. There's a particular hwy merge on my morning route through a sweeping (slightly reducing radius) corner onto another hwy, posted speed limit is 45, I always enjoy using that corner to compare handling on my cars. My modified Matrix took it comfortably at 68mph with 70 being the "squeemish" point. Wife's 2012 Focus Hatch is automatic, so I used sports mode but didn't push too hard and settled for 65mph. My CX5 is quite comfortable in 4th gear doing 65mph daily on that corner, and once or twice at 70mph with just enough body lean to remind me that I should slow down.

At very low speed I pulled the e-brake in an empty portion of my parking lot last time it was raining, first time I did it the car rotated 90degrees nicely, second time I did it I made the mistake of hitting the brake pedal and abs killed the fun.

point is, this car has awesome handling.

Back