CX5 Insurance

Jesus could live and drive in North Texas and still be forced to pay out the ass for auto insurance.

I really believe it comes down to location.

After a lot of research I switched to Gecko. I am paying $510 annually but the kicker is I dropped the uninsured motorist coverage. I did not realize that this is nothing more than medical coverage and my wife and I have very good coverage already. I do have higher limits on the liability coverage which is required to maintain my umbrella policy.
John

No, it isn't about just medical payments. And even there, what if you have friends in your car at the time of the accident?

If you suffer a long-term injury, where you will miss work, or where you suffer on-going pain, this is where you can collect damages from being hit by an uninsured or underinsured driver.

I get it because it is protecting ME! If I get hit by an uninsured driver, and there are millions of them out there, and I don't have this, then all I will receive is the medical treatment from my health insurance. But if I suffer a neck injury, which is permanent, I don't collect anything beyond my health insurance. If I have this, I might well go after $100,000 to $200,000 or more for pain and suffering. Or for someone in my family.

If my injury is very severe and I cannot return to my work, I can seek damages via this clause. Otherwise ... zip!

jtl are you sure that's Uninsured Motorist coverage or Medical PIP? some states require you to have a Medical PIP (like NJ does, even if you have medical insurance through your employer or whatever) maybe in FL it's only an option?

I thought that the uninsured motorist coverage was mandatory especially for financed vehicles. I may be wrong also as I don't know the rules and regulations outside NY,NJ, PA....

No, it isn't about just medical payments. And even there, what if you have friends in your car at the time of the accident?

If you suffer a long-term injury, where you will miss work, or where you suffer on-going pain, this is where you can collect damages from being hit by an uninsured or underinsured driver.

I get it because it is protecting ME! If I get hit by an uninsured driver, and there are millions of them out there, and I don't have this, then all I will receive is the medical treatment from my health insurance. But if I suffer a neck injury, which is permanent, I don't collect anything beyond my health insurance. If I have this, I might well go after $100,000 to $200,000 or more for pain and suffering. Or for someone in my family.

If my injury is very severe and I cannot return to my work, I can seek damages via this clause. Otherwise ... zip!

Insurance is a personal choice. Do what ever you want. I am retired so my situation may be different. I am also not concerned about getting any money for pain and suffering because the pain is still there and money is not the issue with me. Also, fortunately these cars are pretty safe. 11 years ago a guy in a big full sized SUV pulled in front of me when I was going 50 mph. I hit him broadside and never even had time to break. All front airbags inflated and both cars were totaled. No injuries. I was driving a 1995 Honda accord. I suspect if I had friends in the car they would sue my insurance company which is why I carry a million dollar umbrella.

Insurance is a personal choice. Do what ever you want.

I agree with this. My point is that uninsured (and underinsured) coverage is not just medical coverage. I carry $500K on it because I don't want to be left with no means of income should an uninsured driver hit me. Or I get hit as a pedestrian or on my bicycle by a hit & run. I carry liability to insure damage and losses I might incur upon others. But I carry uninsured to cover my own situation, which I consider to be even more important.

I'm not going to drive around trusting everyone else to have adequate insurance.

Last edited:
jtl are you sure that's Uninsured Motorist coverage or Medical PIP? some states require you to have a Medical PIP (like NJ does, even if you have medical insurance through your employer or whatever) maybe in FL it's only an option?

I thought that the uninsured motorist coverage was mandatory especially for financed vehicles. I may be wrong also as I don't know the rules and regulations outside NY,NJ, PA....

It is UI and it is not required, at least in FL. I have no clue what is required for financed vehicles. Medical PIP is required.

I agree with this. My point is that uninsured (and underinsured) coverage is not just medical coverage. I carry $500K on it because I don't want to be left with no means of income should an uninsured driver hit me. Or I get hit as a pedestrian or on my bicycle by a hit & run. I carry liability to insure damage and losses I might incur upon others. But I carry uninsured to cover my own situation, which I consider to be even more important.

I'm not going to drive around trusting everyone else to have adequate insurance.

Like I said you make your choice. I like to play the odds and in my situation the odds are I don't need it. I admit that saying it was only a medical insurance issue was not the case for some people and I didn't consider that, I just meant in my case that is all it was to me. Hell, I live 3 blocks from the Gulf in SW Florida and I don't carry hurricane or flood insurance, but that is another discussion.
John

thank you for this advice, jtl. I got a quote from Progressive that was significantly lower than what I am paying to Geico. I am going to see what Geico has to say first. THANKS.

Just got my insurance bill....2014 AWD CX5 GT/with tech going to cost me $649 per year. I bet they found out it was in SOUL RED and jacked it up....JK....I'm happy :)

There are other policies you can get that will give you coverage for lost wages. For example a disability policy will pay and the injury wouldnt need to be the result of an auto accident.

Back