CX Racing FMIC

Eyedea23

Hey guys, been awhile since I have posted on here... but I came across the new CX Racing FMIC for the MS6 yesterday and had some questions... Does anyone have this installed? If so how was the install? How does the boost last feel? How is the BOV that comes with kit? Also if possible case you post up the install instructions? I couldnt find it any where on their site, just wanna take a look at em before I make any final decisions if possible...

thx alot!

Eyedea23

I just got done with this install yesterday, but have not had a chance to test drive the car due to a mishap.

The install wasn't that bad, considering that there are NO INSTRUCTIONS!!!! First bad part of the review. Second, they don't let you know that you need to cut part of some plastic by the radiator support. This is not hard, as it is annoying and messy. Third, the 90 degree coupler that they give you to fit the driver's side pipe from the IC core to the pipe connecting the TB should really be a 70 degree coupler. It would make things so much easier. Fourth, the positioning of the BOV is okay, but could be better if it was even 1 inch farther away from the TB. With this being said, I am running it as a BPV since CXRacing did not include a block-off plate. Last, the plastic lip on our bumper that extends under the engine bay must be trimmed in order to accommodate the new core; either that, or take it off completely like I did.

Regardless, the kit looks like absolute sex, and hope to test her out today.

I just got done with this install yesterday, but have not had a chance to test drive the car due to a mishap.

The install wasn't that bad, considering that there are NO INSTRUCTIONS!!!! First bad part of the review. Second, they don't let you know that you need to cut part of some plastic by the radiator support. This is not hard, as it is annoying and messy. Third, the 90 degree coupler that they give you to fit the driver's side pipe from the IC core to the pipe connecting the TB should really be a 70 degree coupler. It would make things so much easier. Fourth, the positioning of the BOV is okay, but could be better if it was even 1 inch farther away from the TB. With this being said, I am running it as a BPV since CXRacing did not include a block-off plate. Last, the plastic lip on our bumper that extends under the engine bay must be trimmed in order to accommodate the new core; either that, or take it off completely like I did.

Regardless, the kit looks like absolute sex, and hope to test her out today.

please post some pics. i was also looking into this kit. there is another kit that looks almost like it from Altered Customs. With them, you can chose diffrent cores from 2.5" to 3.5" thick cores. the only thing that i don't like from the Altered Customs kit is that you can't use a CAI.

please post some pics. i was also looking into this kit. there is another kit that looks almost like it from Altered Customs. With them, you can chose diffrent cores from 2.5" to 3.5" thick cores. the only thing that i don't like from the Altered Customs kit is that you can't use a CAI.

U caught me at work and I can't access photobucket, so I will do that later. Don't go larger than 2.5" thick. You will have to cut the crash bar.

how does it sit or look behind the front bumper and mesh area?

It sits kind of low, but does not get blocked by the crash bar. I did, however, have to remove the plastic skirt under the bumper - momentarily. You actually have to trim that a bit so it doesn't hit the middle of the core. I ran out of time as this is my dd, and had to get it back on the road. If it wasn't for the removed plastic skirt, it would have a sleeper look to it. You can't notice it too much unless you get low enough to look directly at it.

U caught me at work and I can't access photobucket, so I will do that later. Don't go larger than 2.5" thick. You will have to cut the crash bar.

Wrong.

Thicknesses dont matter if you choose the correct height.

I went XXx8"x3.5" and i only had to notch the crash bar to get the intercooler to sit where i wanted it. It hangs under the lower lip of the bumper by about a quarter to half an inch, and is only tucked up about half an inch to an inch behind the crash bar. Once my car is paid off the crash bar is going, the intercooler end tank is getting modified so it can sit right up against the grille. I have the inlet and outlet on one side style core. Piping was a b**** but i kept the stock washer location so im happy.

If you were to go 6 inch tall there should be no cutting of the crash bar what so ever. But in reality the crash bar is in the way if you want maximum cooling flow (through the mesh grille) to a larger ic.

Examples:
Boostedspd6, iirc an 8 inch tall core.
100_0147-1.jpg

And i believe he said he left it about an inch from the bottom of the crash bar. no cutting or trimming.

My car.
8" tall core with inlet and outlet 1 side.
fjmf5w.jpg

Lemme know how it was to drive with it... I currently have the ETS tmic, but would rather get a front mount since our engine bay gets so heat soaked.. as well as change my Fujita CAI to the Cobb SF due to afr problems from the intake. So it is either the front mount kit and intake for christmas or possibly intake and Cobb AP for christmas.

You will notice a rich condition upon letting off the throttle with a fmic due to having to pressurize the pipes again. The car thinks that all the extra air going past the maf requires more fuel.
But the car fairly quickly corrects and all is well under normal cruising conditions.

With a fmic you will now notice some turbo lag as the compressor has to fill the extra piping.
Your car may run a bit hotter due to the fmic blocking direct airflow to the rad.

Other then that i have no complaints about the fmic.

Wrong.

Thicknesses dont matter if you choose the correct height.

I went XXx8"x3.5" and i only had to notch the crash bar to get the intercooler to sit where i wanted it. It hangs under the lower lip of the bumper by about a quarter to half an inch, and is only tucked up about half an inch to an inch behind the crash bar. Once my car is paid off the crash bar is going, the intercooler end tank is getting modified so it can sit right up against the grille. I have the inlet and outlet on one side style core. Piping was a b**** but i kept the stock washer location so im happy.

If you were to go 6 inch tall there should be no cutting of the crash bar what so ever. But in reality the crash bar is in the way if you want maximum cooling flow (through the mesh grille) to a larger ic.

Examples:
Boostedspd6, iirc an 8 inch tall core.
100_0147-1.jpg

And i believe he said he left it about an inch from the bottom of the crash bar. no cutting or trimming.

My car.
8" tall core with inlet and outlet 1 side.
fjmf5w.jpg

Well I am telling you from my experience from trying to fit a 3 inch core that I was going to have to either cut the crash bar or notch it - which would have compromised the integrity of the crash bar; therefore negating the purpose of it. Either way, that is the great thing about the kit, you get to keep the crash bar. I just wish that the brackets were a bit shorter so as to make the core not stick out as much.

Well I am telling you from my experience from trying to fit a 3 inch core that I was going to have to either cut the crash bar or notch it - which would have compromised the integrity of the crash bar; therefore negating the purpose of it. Either way, that is the great thing about the kit, you get to keep the crash bar. I just wish that the brackets were a bit shorter so as to make the core not stick out as much.

Well considering that if you chose a 6 inch tall core, no matter the thickness, it would still fit. Im just stating from experience of fitting a 3.5 inch core.
Not arguing that your core needed crashbar cutting or not, just putting the fact out there that cutting the crash bar is not directly related to having anything thicker then a 3 inch core. Its related to height and where you goals for positioning are.

Yes a thinner core could be put behnd the crash bar kinda like what i did, but i only cut off 1 perhaps 2 bars from direct airflow by putting it behind. But why put something thats air to air cooled behind the path of direct airflow.

Last edited:
Well considering that if you chose a 6 inch tall core, no matter the thickness, it would still fit. Im just stating from experience of fitting a 3.5 inch core.
Not arguing that your core needed crashbar cutting or not, just putting the fact out there that cutting the crash bar is not directly related to having anything thicker then a 3 inch core. Its related to height and where you goals for positioning are.

Yes a thinner core could be put behnd the crash bar kinda like what i did, but i only cut off 1 perhaps 2 bars from direct airflow by putting it behind. But why put something thats air to air cooled behind the path of direct airflow.

Okay. Understood. I just wish that I had a way of raising the core a little bit. Probably 1/2" so I can drive comfortably. I might have to sell off my H&R springs and go with the RPM ones.

Go to a shop. Get the crash bar nothched then rewelded up so thats its boxed again, and if you worried about it get them to add more metal.

The crash bar alone is not strong enough to protect the rest of the car upon colission.

Go to a shop. Get the crash bar nothched then rewelded up so thats its boxed again, and if you worried about it get them to add more metal.

The crash bar alone is not strong enough to protect the rest of the car upon colission.

I was just thinking of adding washers to the bracket mounting points to raise it a bit. It might block a row or two from the Core, but I figure that it would be okay.

so im not mis understanding, a 6inch tall core will fit damn near perfect int he mesh grill. without the need for notching anything?

good cause im super fukkin picky on how imma want my FMIC to fit when i do get one lolz

Yeah, right now my MS6 is looking like an MS3 without the black skirt under the middle of the front bumper, but that will be fixxed by next PZ meet.

4302835370_7a1ff003be_b.jpg

This is a cx racing 6 inch tall core. Crashbar is notched and some holes in the upper area of the mesh were cut out.

Pretty sure he also said it sights right on top of the air diverter.

You will notice a rich condition upon letting off the throttle with a fmic due to having to pressurize the pipes again. The car thinks that all the extra air going past the maf requires more fuel.
But the car fairly quickly corrects and all is well under normal cruising conditions.

With a fmic you will now notice some turbo lag as the compressor has to fill the extra piping.
Your car may run a bit hotter due to the fmic blocking direct airflow to the rad.

Other then that i have no complaints about the fmic.

that right there makes it seem like its not worth it. the point of all this custom work is to increase performance. but hotter engine temps, additional turbo lag!? i dunno guys, i'd love to go fmic, but just cant seem to justify it. not trying to be jerk, just playing devils advocate.

also that air diverter under the rad is there to, well, divert air to the rad. taking that away and blocking the rad seems counter productive.

Back