CX-90 Premier Tow Package

I'm wondering if any of the new CX-90 owners have gotten the "Premier Tow" package that's shown on the Mazda Build & Price system. The description says:

"Premier Tow includes Trailer Hitch, Harness, Tow Ball Mount and Brake Controller. Our Brake Controller communicates with the brake system of your Mazda CX-90 to help instill confidence and stability when braking while towing. Estimated Availability: Coming Soon"

So, either this package isn't available yet, or they just haven't updated their website. It sounds like a nice package, especially since it includes the brake controller which I think you normally have to purchase separately aftermarket. I'm also wondering if the Mazda brake controller is a separately attached device or it's controlled with the main control screens.

Anyone have experience with this? Thanks.

I am interested in this question as well as I use a hitch rack for my bike.

I'm wondering if any of the new CX-90 owners have gotten the "Premier Tow" package that's shown on the Mazda Build & Price system. The description says:

"Premier Tow includes Trailer Hitch, Harness, Tow Ball Mount and Brake Controller. Our Brake Controller communicates with the brake system of your Mazda CX-90 to help instill confidence and stability when braking while towing. Estimated Availability: Coming Soon"

So, either this package isn't available yet, or they just haven't updated their website. It sounds like a nice package, especially since it includes the brake controller which I think you normally have to purchase separately aftermarket. I'm also wondering if the Mazda brake controller is a separately attached device or it's controlled with the main control screens.

Anyone have experience with this? Thanks.

I finally got my “Premier Tow Package” installed by the dealer yesterday. Bought my CX-90 at the end of April and made the deal with the dealer to have them include and install the “Premier Tow Package” even though it was not yet available for them to find in their parts system at that time. Their Parts guy had to call Mazda help desk a month later just to find out what is supposed to be in the “Premier Tow Package”, and we had to wait another 2 more months after that to get the brake controller to come in.

The parts list:

KMV6-V3-920 Trailer Hitch Kit

KMV6-V7-780 7-Way Trailer Hitch Harness Kit

C9N1-V7-782 Brake Controller With Harness (Curt Spectrum Brake Controller)

C9N1-V3-922 Hitch Ball Mount (It’s about a 4 inch drop/3 inch rise)

Premier Tow Package Parts List.jpg

Installed location of the brake controller

Brake Controller Location.jpg

FYI, the hitch height is about 14 5/8 inches (Distance from the ground to top I.D. of the receiver tube opening).

I finally got my “Premier Tow Package” installed by the dealer yesterday. Bought my CX-90 at the end of April and made the deal with the dealer to have them include and install the “Premier Tow Package” even though it was not yet available for them to find in their parts system at that time. Their Parts guy had to call Mazda help desk a month later just to find out what is supposed to be in the “Premier Tow Package”, and we had to wait another 2 more months after that to get the brake controller to come in.

The parts list:

View attachment 321649

View attachment 321650

FYI, the hitch height is about 14 5/8 inches (Distance from the ground to top I.D. of the receiver tube opening).

Thanks for the great information, this is exactly what I wanted to know!

The parts list:

View attachment 321649

View attachment 321650

After installing them, do you see "TOWING Mode" showing up in Mi-Drive?

My car doesn't have TOWING mode displayed now. Does it show up once towing equipment is installed to the car?
View attachment 321958
Towing mode only shows up if you have the KMV6-V7-780 7-Way Trailer Hitch Harness Kit installed.

Most people only need that and the KMV6-V3-920 Trailer Hitch Kit to be able to start towing.

The brake controller in the Premier Tow Package is not necessary, unless you plan to tow heavier trailers that have electric brakes on them.

Towing mode only shows up if you have the KMV6-V7-780 7-Way Trailer Hitch Harness Kit installed.

Most people only need that and the KMV6-V3-920 Trailer Hitch Kit to be able to start towing.

The brake controller in the Premier Tow Package is not necessary, unless you plan to tow heavier trailers that have electric brakes on them.
Thanks @MikeATL so much for clarification. I have no experience of towing and it is very helpful!

@MikeATL Thanks for the information! I stumbled across this thread trying to figure out what is needed to start towing. We bought our Premium PHEV at the beginning of the month and I plan on installing the wiring and hitch myself.

eTrailer.com has this hitch for the CX-90 that I'm thinking of installing, but getting the Mazda wiring harness.

I have a similar Curt hitch on my CX-9. It was what the dealer installed back then for that car. I don’t have any complaints with it.

I decided to just have the Mazda Tow Hitch Kit installed without the other pieces such as the controller/electric connector. I just use my tow hitch to haul an EV bike. I will never tow a trailer or anything like that so no need to spend the money. The dealer was great and installed just the tow side. I can always add the rest later so keep that in mind to cut costs.

The dealer installed just the tow hook. I did not want the whole package as I will never haul a trailer. I just need it for my bike rack. I have a very heavy electric bike so needed a heavy duty trailer hitch. Cheaper to go this route if needed.

Latest posts

Back