CX-90 PHEV Aftermarket audio upgrade question

I bought a CX-90 PHEV last Friday. Always wanted Premium Audio but budget limits me to the Preferred Trim because the Premium cost $4500 more without offering anything I like besides the upgraded audio. Does anyone know what I can do to upgrade the 8-speaker low end audio system of the Preferred trim. I don't think I need more speakers from 8 to 12 like in the Premium and Premium Plus. Just want to replace them with better and compatible components that won't have any side effect.

I doubt you can replace/improve a system so integrated. Cars these days make it hard to use 3rd party system like the past as the infotainment systems are much tighter integrated with other car features. It's a way for car manufacturers to lock you in.

I doubt you can replace/improve a system so integrated. Cars these days make it hard to use 3rd party system like the past as the infotainment systems are much tighter integrated with other car features. It's a way for car manufacturers to lock you in.
When I removed the spare tire which I thought that's where the stock passive subwoofer is, there is none. I assume there is a cheap passive subwoofer among the 8-speakers of Preferred trim somewhere in the car. I don’t think the Bose Premium audio comes with an active subwoofer (that has a separate powered amp) but I can be very wrong. I aim to replace the stock subwoofer with a better one of the same size that can be put in the same place, coupled with a simple sub crossover.

Attachments

• IMG_1454.jpeg
    IMG_1454.jpeg
    216.5 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_1453.jpeg
    IMG_1453.jpeg
    155.5 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_1452.jpeg
    IMG_1452.jpeg
    143.7 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_1451.jpeg
    IMG_1451.jpeg
    233.2 KB · Views: 28
I have the top of the line CX-90 PHEV with the subwoofer in the spare tire rim. It's crazy heavy. I bet if you contacted the company Crutchfield, they might have a solution. The issue will be the wiring back to the OEM entertainment unit. Crutchfield would most likely know how to handle that. Good luck.

I have the top of the line CX-90 PHEV with the subwoofer in the spare tire rim. It's crazy heavy. I bet if you contacted the company Crutchfield, they might have a solution. The issue will be the wiring back to the OEM entertainment unit. Crutchfield would most likely know how to handle that. Good luck.
I have watched several youtube videos about installing an active subwoofer including one from Crutchfield. I'd prefer running the low level signal RCA cable from the stock radio/receiver instead of from the rear speakers in the doors to minimize connections. This model is pretty new so info is not yet available. I am not sure the stock radio/receiver has a RCA output though. I might choose to put the active subwoofer next to and not in the spare tire rim. There seems to be enough space around the spare tire to place it.

Yes you could get a device to take signals from the rear channels to power the sub. Be careful though so it’s not evident. While under warranty you need to be mindful Mazda can deny and electrical issue if they discover you altered the original system. Highly unlikely they would catch that but be careful taking door panels off to get to the speakers.

Quite curious about the description of this unit. Looks like a Pioneer unit but the sound is very timid. The Bass is virtually non-existent, hi and mid range is not clear even though I have set fading to the front. Not aiming to buy, just try to figure out how I can upgrade the non-Bose OEM audio system in my CX-90 PHEV Preferred trim in the easiest and least intruding way and with the expected outcome.

The Pioneer amp is made Thailand, the front speakers are made in Japan, and the rear speakers are made in Vietnam. And most confusing is they are name SUBWOOFER. There is nothing subwoofer about these speakers as I can see.

These speakers sure look cheap. No wonder the sound is poor.

MAZDA CX-90 AUDIO RADIO SOUND SYSTEM AMP AMPLIFIER MODULE OEM 2024 $599.99

MAZDA CX-90 FRONT RIGHT DOOR SUBWOOFER SUB WOOFER SPEAKER BASS BOX OEM 2024 $224.99

MAZDA CX-90 FRONT LEFT DOOR SUBWOOFER SUB WOOFER SPEAKER BASS BOX OEM 2024 $224.99

MAZDA CX-90 REAR LEFT DRIVER SIDE DOOR AUDIO SPEAKER OEM 2024 $59.99

Attachments

• CX-90-Non-Bose-Audio-Amp-Pic1.jpg
    CX-90-Non-Bose-Audio-Amp-Pic1.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 1
  • CX-90-Non-Bose-Audio-Amp-Pic2.jpg
    CX-90-Non-Bose-Audio-Amp-Pic2.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 1
  • CX-90-Non-Bose-Audio-Amp-Pic3.jpg
    CX-90-Non-Bose-Audio-Amp-Pic3.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 1
  • CX-90-Non-Bose-Front-Right-Speaker-Pic1.jpg