Cx-9 Throttle Problems

it happened to me too...

at some mountains near here (Mexico) where we go from time to time cause its beautiful, same thing, very steep climbing, going slow, about 1 hour climbing. when going through a steep switchback at the middle of the climb, then the revs lock at 2000 and pressing or depressing the accelerator does nothing, I change the transmission to manual going up and down the shifts and nothing, then after like 10 seconds it goes back to normal again, I thoght it was about to stall. everybody inside asked me what happened and I told them something going wrong with the car, but since the car is 08 new (delivered 12 October 07) I kept going thinking it was best if it failed definitely so it could be fixed under warranty. but did't happened again.
So now I read this, I'll be scared to go again to climb some mountains cause I can have a big problem there.(nailbyt)
What should I do? sell? sue?
I let u know.
I'm just a new user of this forum, and also noted some other quality issues (design issues clearly) with this car that I'll be posting about, like the front wheel alignment problem, the hydraulic valve lifter noise on engine just at 4000 mil. of use, the loss of quick responsiveness of the transmission, and the very lame poor mileage that no sales person-magazine warns u about. it makes me wish a V8 badly.(sad1)
I'm alone here?

at some mountains near here (Mexico) where we go from time to time cause its beautiful, same thing, very steep climbing, going slow, about 1 hour climbing. when going through a steep switchback at the middle of the climb, then the revs lock at 2000 and pressing or depressing the accelerator does nothing, I change the transmission to manual going up and down the shifts and nothing, then after like 10 seconds it goes back to normal again, I thoght it was about to stall. everybody inside asked me what happened and I told them something going wrong with the car, but since the car is 08 new (delivered 12 October 07) I kept going thinking it was best if it failed definitely so it could be fixed under warranty. but did't happened again.
So now I read this, I'll be scared to go again to climb some mountains cause I can have a big problem there.(nailbyt)
What should I do? sell? sue?
I let u know.
I'm just a new user of this forum, and also noted some other quality issues (design issues clearly) with this car that I'll be posting about, like the front wheel alignment problem, the hydraulic valve lifter noise on engine just at 4000 mil. of use, the loss of quick responsiveness of the transmission, and the very lame poor mileage that no sales person-magazine warns u about. it makes me wish a V8 badly.(sad1)
I'm alone here?

:rolleyes:

the OP shouldnt freak out, just ask your dealer to a) change your transmision fluid; because if its overheating, the fluid is shot
b) install an aux ATF cooler to your vehicle for no charge.

That would solve your problems

Last edited:
I'd check the fluid for burning. Im not convinced your tranny overheated. I think the trans has a cut off point that locks you out BEFORE it overheats. I had this happen driving 80 into a VERY strong headwind, but no signs of actual overheating, and no other incidents. Like the auto braking when cornering too fast, I think the CX9 plays it safe.

This Will Be My Last Report On This Problem. The Cx-9 Has A Problem On Steeper Roads (these Are Paved Roads). The Throttle Shuts Down And There Is No Power. It Does Not Happen All The Time. I Am Told By The Transmission Man That Road In The Vehicles, Along With The Mazda Engineer And All Their Equipment, That The Transmission Senses It To Be Too Hot And That Is Why It Shuts Down. It Actually Does It At Slower Speeds (heats Up), Which Is The Opposite Of What I Would Think. It Does It In Regular Gear And Manual 2 And 3. It Takes A Few Minutes To Cool Down. So Be Careful If You Are Traveling On A Steep Grade.

Up Until Today, Mazda Has Provided Me With A Loaner Car And Kept The Cx-9. Today, They Informed Me That That Is Just The Way This Model Operates And It Is In All Their Cx-9's. I Was Also Told That It Is My Problem And They Have No Intentions Of Fixing It Or Giving Me My Money Back. I Was Told That It Is Just Too Bad.

Up Until Today I Trusted Mazda. For All You Mazda Apologists, This Problem Exist On All Cx-9's Both 2007 And 2008, No Ifs, Ands Or Buts. I Just Wanted An Awd Vehicle That Got Me To My Home, This Model Does Not Cut It. I Have Lived Here 20 Years, Driven The Cheapest Of Cheap 4 Cylinder Vehicles Up And Down The Mountain And Never Had A Problem.

You Will Be Reading More About This As I Will Be Doing Whatever It Takes To Go After Mazda, Making This Problem Public, Tv, Newspaper, Whatever It Takes, As I Am Very Disappointed, I Thought Mazda Was Reputable, Another Lesson In Life.

Good morning, I have a new CX-9 Less than two weeks old and it had throttle problems this weekend. First time running 75 MPH with cruise and it had to go up a little incline in the road and it shut down. I kicked it out of cruise and headed for the side of the road and it came alive again. the rest of the way home 200 miles I had to give it just a little gas. Too much and it would shut down. Once it got down to 20 MPH on the interstate and I pulled over to a exit, got gas eat lunch and went again. Ok for a while but would not accelerate up the mountain toward Ashville. Engine was not hot and no lights came on. Taking car back to dealer this week. Anyone else with a new CX-9 with this problem?

I recently experienced a similar problem but have rightfully or wrongly attributed it to my traction control system. I and my dealer thinks it was caused by the computer sensing wheel spin, I was on a wash boarded gravel hill, and reducing power. My complaint was that the severe loss in power lasted for 15 or 20 seconds before full power was restored. This happened several times over a 15 minute climb up the hill.
As I understand it the TCS shuts down power whenever wheel spin is detected. My complaint is that the loss of power is not momentary like in other AWD or 4-wheel drive cars, but last for 15 to 20 seconds. It would be very dangerous in heavy traffic.

After careful research for an AWD CX-9, I bought a new 2007 one week ago. I had immediate problems with the throttle shutting down, leaving NO POWER while driving up the road leading to my home. The climb is from 2,200 feet to 3,500 feet over a 1.5 mile uphill paved road, not overly steep. This happened several times and after taking the car to the service department here in Asheville it tested OK. The SERVICE MANAGER and the Mazda technician came out and drove the car up the mountain and experienced the same problem, throttle shutting down and no power. They brought a new 2008 CX-9 out and experienced the same exact problem.

I am told that the the transmission was filled to the proper level and with the proper fluid, so that is not the problem. I have gone up and down this mountain for 20 years in all kinds of vehicles, including 4 cylinder cars and have had no problems. The car is unsafe when the throttle shuts down going up a hill. Has anyone heard of this problem?

Good morning, I have a new CX-9 Less than two weeks old and it had throttle problems this weekend. First time running 75 MPH with cruise and it had to go up a little incline in the road and it shut down. I kicked it out of cruise and headed for the side of the road and it came alive again. the rest of the way home 200 miles I had to give it just a little gas. Too much and it would shut down. Once it got down to 20 MPH on the interstate and I pulled over to a exit, got gas eat lunch and went again. Ok for a while but would not accelerate up the mountain toward Ashville. Engine was not hot and no lights came on. Taking car back to dealer this week. Anyone else with a new CX-9 with this problem?

Both in Asheville, eh? Maybe Roger ended up buying the other CX9 on that dealer's lot that had the same problem, or bought the one Mazda bought back from steveadler. That would suck.

I guess I need to install a HD tranny cooler, though.

i have dealt with a few of these issues, mainly concerning the thermo valve on the transmission. It has to do with the rate of change in temperature it doesnt flow fast enough and the pcm and tcm see a rapid change in transmission temp and it shuts down any throttle control. I can find the TSB for anyone who may need it, not sure if there is one though, i do have the special thermo valve updated part number at work i will get it posted hopefully tomorrow or by the latest monday

i have dealt with a few of these issues, mainly concerning the thermo valve on the transmission. It has to do with the rate of change in temperature it doesnt flow fast enough and the pcm and tcm see a rapid change in transmission temp and it shuts down any throttle control. I can find the TSB for anyone who may need it, not sure if there is one though, i do have the special thermo valve updated part number at work i will get it posted hopefully tomorrow or by the latest monday

Anything on a TSB? If this is a problem I'd like to address it before I experience it.

i couldnt find a tsb on it but when i first diagnosed one i submitted a pqi to mazda (product quality information) to address the issue and they said to install the updated special thermo valve, just have your dealer call mazda techline and inquire about the special thermo valve issue and they should be able to send one to your dealer, its actually a ford edge part they special order in. I dont think parts counter can order this yet, only dealer assistance group for mazda or mazda techline can special order it at this time

I am surprised that there have not been more posts on this subject. The loss of power we have experienced could cause serious accidents. When I related my repeated loss of power climbing I had experienced one day climbing a long gravelled hill to my dealer, he found a tech bulletin that directed him to reprogram the controller. He said that the problem was linked to the traction control system. I have not been back on the hill to see if it worked. I have never experienced loss of power on long steep paved highways. The dealer did not mention anything about thermostat valves.
How do you contact Mazda quality information?

it should be listed in yor owners manual, you can contact the correct people to get your vehicle looked at or to resolve an issue. Otherwise, when a mazda technician repairs a vehicle he sumbits a pqi(product quality inquiry) to let mazda know what happened and what fixed it. Mazda is very serious about cusotmers and wants only the best, good mazda dealers always do this and take care of thier customers

throttle shutdown issue can be resolved

Hi all,

CX9 and CX7vehicle manufactured before MAY 1 2008 have these throttle problem this can be fixed, by the dealer..

please refer the attached PDF or JPG

Goodluck
Karthik

please chk the attached JPG

Attachments

• Throttle problem.jpg
    Throttle problem.jpg
    322.1 KB · Views: 793
After careful research for an AWD CX-9, I bought a new 2007 one week ago. I had immediate problems with the throttle shutting down, leaving NO POWER while driving up the road leading to my home. The climb is from 2,200 feet to 3,500 feet over a 1.5 mile uphill paved road, not overly steep. This happened several times and after taking the car to the service department here in Asheville it tested OK. The SERVICE MANAGER and the Mazda technician came out and drove the car up the mountain and experienced the same problem, throttle shutting down and no power. They brought a new 2008 CX-9 out and experienced the same exact problem.

I am told that the the transmission was filled to the proper level and with the proper fluid, so that is not the problem. I have gone up and down this mountain for 20 years in all kinds of vehicles, including 4 cylinder cars and have had no problems. The car is unsafe when the throttle shuts down going up a hill. Has anyone heard of this problem?

issue can be solved please chk the attached jpg

Attachments

• Throttle problem.jpg
    Throttle problem.jpg
    322.1 KB · Views: 351
  • calibration information.jpeg
    calibration information.jpeg
    55.4 KB · Views: 369
Thanks to kartikcx9 for the TSB.
I will make sure my dealer update my TCM at the next oil change.

The dealer won't require the 3rd page. I told them the TSB#, provided a copy of the first two pages attached here and no problems.

They did ask me to explain what happened before they would apply the firmware fix. So I told them that the engine quit while driving up Mt. Washington in nearby New Hampshire. I almost got killed when the engine shut down I told them. Firmware was gladly updated (so I was told when I picked it up).(spin)

Still waiting for parts for another TSB issued that shows symptoms of breaks squeaking badly when first taking the CX-9 out of the garage in the morning. This one happens for real.(protest)

Back