2016~2023 CX-9 JB4 installation issues…

sm1ke

2018 Mazda CX-9 Signature
Contributor
:
Canada
View attachment 318688

:confused::confused:

On Tuesday, I finally got around to pulling off the bumper for the JB4 install and the horn install. Not nearly as productive as I had hoped, since the JB4 threw codes that wouldn't clear, and I couldn't figure out how to remove the OEM horns, lol. I took the day off on Wednesday so that I could remove the JB4 and run errands with the wife and kids, then in the afternoon I took the bumper off again and connected the JB4, making sure all connections were secure. Still throwing codes, so I disconnected the JB4 again before putting the bumper back on. It's snowing now, so I'll have to wait for better weather to try again, but I don't even know if there's a point. I don't know if there's anything else I can do.

fetch

fetch

fetch

fetch

@jcrout7992 said he never had any issues with his install, so I don't know why it isn't working for me. As far as I can tell, all the connections are secure and push in as far as they will allow. I've sent emails to Burger and posted to the JB4tech forums, but no help there yet.

EDIT: Oh and also, I had to remove the tow hook license plate mount to remove the front bumper, and one of the screws broke clean off, so now I can't even put the front plate back on lol.

If anyone can help me figure this out, it would be greatly appreciated. As of right now, I'm leaning towards getting a refund on the $35 for the app, and then putting this JB4 up for sale at a massive loss.. :confused:

Did you perform this step in the instructions?
1682013007166.png

I know with BMW/Mini products, if this step is missed, all sorts of error codes flash up. Seeing as how your codes are related to those sensors, seems like a logical place to start troubleshooting.

View attachment 318704

I know with BMW/Mini products, if this step is missed, all sorts of error codes flash up. Seeing as how your codes are related to those sensors, seems like a logical place to start troubleshooting.

13Qe.gif

You know, for being someone who writes training material, you'd think I would know to pay more attention to instructions.

Thanks for posting @njaremka, I will try again once the weather warms up early next week.

LOL, for your sake, I was hoping that's all it was, but I didn't want to assume (y)

Let us know how it works out.

Yikes! I had zero issues with it, other than it being a bit of a pain to install/remove. Keep me posted on whether or not that initial step helps. Otherwise, the only thing I can think of is pin locations. Are the pin locations for the sensors the same for CX-5 vs CX-9?

Yikes! I had zero issues with it, other than it being a bit of a pain to install/remove. Keep me posted on whether or not that initial step helps. Otherwise, the only thing I can think of is pin locations. Are the pin locations for the sensors the same for CX-5 vs CX-9?

I'll bet the initial step is the root of my problems lol. Pin locations should be right.. I think the actual locations might be slightly different, but I think they can only go into specific connectors. The only one that might be a bit confusing is the sensor that's at the front of the engine, but there's only one connector that has 4 wires coming off of it.

View attachment 318704

Yup, it was this step that I missed lol. JB4 is now installed, no codes, CELs or errors. (y)

Yup, it was this step that I missed lol. JB4 is now installed, no codes, CELs or errors. (y)

Honestly the most ridiculous step that I couldn't have even dreamt up, but glad that was all! Out of curiosity though, I wonder if those codes would have eventually cleared after a few cycles?

Honestly the most ridiculous step that I couldn't have even dreamt up, but glad that was all! Out of curiosity though, I wonder if those codes would have eventually cleared after a few cycles?

I'm not sure, but I can tell you that it wasn't fun to drive the car with all those errors. If I only had to drive on residential roads, it would have been manageable, assuming that it would have eventually sorted itself out. But my work commute has me going 80-90 km/hr on some stretches, and it wouldn't have been fun to be limiting myself to 60 km/hr on those stretches.

For future reference, on the 2016+ CX-9, the connectors are on the MAF sensor (on the intake), the TMAP sensor (on the side of the intercooler), and the MAP sensor (front of the engine, dead center). Pic below is the MAP sensor connection. I could not find a picture of this connection in my quick searches on the internet.

MAPconnector.jpg

For connector removal, I would suggest using a pair of pliers in one hand to pinch the tab to release the clip, then using your other hand to work the connector loose. You also want to make sure the connectors are fully seated. You should be able to hear them clip in, but you can also take pics of each connector before you start so that you know how they should look when connected properly.

For those of you with the JB4 installed and running, is there a specific process for data logging? I found a 4 or 5 year old video explaining how to data log with the JB4, but it was on a BMW. Is the process in the video (start log at 3rd gear, around 2500 RPM, then go WOT into 4th, let the car slow down, then end logging) the same for the Mazdas?

If you don’t mind me asking @sm1ke, what is a JB4? Also, what are the benefits on installing this onto your CX-9?

- Shawnee

More power.

Race Chip is another option with easier connections.

Woot! Glad you got it running without codes. How's the engine feel now?

It's perfectly fine when it's on Map0 (JB4 disabled). But as soon as I set it to Map1, something feels very wrong. I've been trying to work through this with their support over the last couple of days.

Here is an (unlisted) video of what happened when I tried to film a 0-100 km/hr run. I cut it off at 80 and went right back to Map0 after this.

Still, no codes when I did that run, but there's no way that it's working as designed. My only guess is that maybe the car hasn't adapted back to 91 yet? I gave the car a full tank of 91 on Tuesday after having only fueled with 87 for over a year, so maybe it hasn't had enough drive cycles to realize its back on 91. I honestly have no idea if that's even a possibility, but so far my experience with the JB4 has been pretty bad.

I should note that the Sprint Booster I have installed was also disabled for the filmed run.

It's perfectly fine when it's on Map0 (JB4 disabled). But as soon as I set it to Map1, something feels very wrong. I've been trying to work through this with their support over the last couple of days.

Here is an (unlisted) video of what happened when I tried to film a 0-100 km/hr run. I cut it off at 80 and went right back to Map0 after this.

Still, no codes when I did that run, but there's no way that it's working as designed. My only guess is that maybe the car hasn't adapted back to 91 yet? I gave the car a full tank of 91 on Tuesday after having only fueled with 87 for over a year, so maybe it hasn't had enough drive cycles to realize its back on 91. I honestly have no idea if that's even a possibility, but so far my experience with the JB4 has been pretty bad.

I should note that the Sprint Booster I have installed was also disabled for the filmed run.
i've noticed these cut off like issues also with burger piggy backs on my last 3 and x5. sometime resetting the ecu to let it adapt works. also trying a higher stage like stage 2 may help if available. the fuel trims have to readapt and it takes some time of driving like 100 miles or so

i've done both piggys and full tune, full tunes have never had these kinda issues. the piggys are fooling the maps which the car has to get used to

i've noticed these cut off like issues also with burger piggy backs on my last 3 and x5. sometime resetting the ecu to let it adapt works. also trying a higher stage like stage 2 may help if available. the fuel trims have to readapt and it takes some time of driving like 100 miles or so

i've done both piggys and full tune, full tunes have never had these kinda issues. the piggys are fooling the maps which the car has to get used to

Yeah I figured something like that may have been at play. Good news is that Terry took over for this issue and had me flash to Beta firmware, then do a 40-80 km/hr log and send it in. I just flashed the firmware and when I did the log, the car ran much, much smoother!

We'll see if Terry has any more suggestions to optimize, but for now it seems that the issue was just that the firmware needed to be flashed. Though I have put on about 50 kms since the initial log I did. Maybe it was a combination of letting it adapt and updating the firmware that resolved the issue 🤷‍♂️

Alright, Terry said the log looks good, and that I could try Map2 and see what happens. I'll give it a shot and post any updates in my build thread.

Back