CX-5 with 3 kids... Possible?

fredbuteau

:
Mazda3 Sport GS 2010, Black Mica, Corksport SRI
Hi guys,

For those who have kids, how would it fit, in the CX-5, with an infant car seat, a booster seat and no booster? (3 kids)

I'm asking the question because when I'll change my Mazda3, I want to keep the option of a vehicle that can accomodate 3 kids. I like the CX-9, but it is BIG and not very fuel friendly.. I only have 1 kid now, and the second not before spring 2014, so space is not an issue for now.. As I said, just want to keep the option.. So, as a DD, will the CX-5 do with 3 kids?

Thanks everyone!

Fred

Car seats don't usually leave much room for the person next to them...

There is lots of room back there, three people can fit, but a car seat may not help with that.

fredbuteau,

I hate to say this...but you will have your time again to have fun...so get a van. I still have a Honda Odyssey (1999) with over 225,000 mile on it and it still looks almost new. The benefits outweigh anything on the cx5 when it comes to hauling kids around and that stuff that come with kids (rolleyes). I was even able to flip the 3rd seat backwards to form a changing table. The reclining seats and the space will be less of a hassle down the road and on those long trips. Plus dragging kids and their friends around the girlscout and events. Like I said before...you will get another chance in life to zoom zoom again (smoke).

Or you could go the best-of-both-worlds approach and check out a Mazda5... the third row in back isn't very big, but it works great for small kids, and you still get a smaller vehicle, far better fuel economy than full on minivan, and the zoom-zoom factor! At least take one for a test drive.

Hi guys,

For those who have kids, how would it fit, in the CX-5, with an infant car seat, a booster seat and no booster? (3 kids)

I'm asking the question because when I'll change my Mazda3, I want to keep the option of a vehicle that can accomodate 3 kids. I like the CX-9, but it is BIG and not very fuel friendly.. I only have 1 kid now, and the second not before spring 2014, so space is not an issue for now.. As I said, just want to keep the option.. So, as a DD, will the CX-5 do with 3 kids?

Thanks everyone!

Fred

I would say no and do what I did.... I have a cx-9 (I call it a Dad's minivan) for my wife and 2 kids (5 and 6, you also have a 3rd row with is great) and the cx-5 is for me.

I have a 3 year old with a car seat, and when I go to get his cousins I have the car seat at one window the booster at the other window and the non booster cousin sits squashed in the middle. Well not squashed but in the middle none the less. It can be done with no problems.

it can be done, but I would not live with that setup on a daily basis!

I feel sorry to say this, but once you move to more than 2 kids, the mini van becomes the obvious and most practical choice! But I can understand people like me who doesn't want one. ;)

Mazda 5. That's my neighbors did after lusting after my CX-5 lol They have 4 kids.

One thought on this matter; I think when people talk about getting squashed, they're considering themselves size wise, not a child.

ZuluCX

"but once you move to more than 2 kids, the mini van becomes the obvious and most practical choice"

Thank you....I was thinking for a moment we had a bunch dealership/mazda employees here. If your going to have more than two children than a van is the way to go. Things I remember as a dad...

* Flip seat backwards to use as a changing table.
* Flip seat in the floor so they could lay back there and rest when they didn't feel good and we were away from home.
* The second row only had two captains chair which had the split in the middle so the kids couldn't bother each other....DAD...Renee is hitting me.
* Picking up each of their friends at school to take home while still having enough space for all their backpacks.
* Going to grandmas with the crib in back and all that baby stuff because I knew they didn't take there shoes off in the house.
* Just being able to recline the seats back on longer trips stopped the moaning of taking to long to get their.
* Bringing home furniture for the kids whether it was beds, dressers...etc

There is so much more a van can do compared to a car....like I said before....kids grow up and then you can go back to the zoom zoom as we did (cheers2)

Thanks for the responses! The thing is, although I don't dislike the minivan idea, it doesn't offer (except for the Sienna) AWD. As I'm in a wintery canadian province, that was a main criteria in my next vehicle...

I wish Mazda made their high output diesel available here and put that in a lighter Skyactiv CX-9 with the 6AT...(shady)

ZuluCX

"but once you move to more than 2 kids, the mini van becomes the obvious and most practical choice"

Thank you....I was thinking for a moment we had a bunch dealership/mazda employees here. If your going to have more than two children than a van is the way to go. Things I remember as a dad...

* Flip seat backwards to use as a changing table.
* Flip seat in the floor so they could lay back there and rest when they didn't feel good and we were away from home.
* The second row only had two captains chair which had the split in the middle so the kids couldn't bother each other....DAD...Renee is hitting me.
* Picking up each of their friends at school to take home while still having enough space for all their backpacks.
* Going to grandmas with the crib in back and all that baby stuff because I knew they didn't take there shoes off in the house.
* Just being able to recline the seats back on longer trips stopped the moaning of taking to long to get their.
* Bringing home furniture for the kids whether it was beds, dressers...etc

There is so much more a van can do compared to a car....like I said before....kids grow up and then you can go back to the zoom zoom as we did (cheers2)

You sure have many points there... Damn you JohnJr!!! (NO offense intended here :) )

Fredbuteau,

The best think I did for the honda was to put on snow tires in the winter. Since the vehicle is heavy...you will not have any problems in the snow. It kills me to this day knowing that my father used to talk about snow tires and I didn't think about them until about 8 years after I got the odyssey. We live in a very hilly area and I have gotten stuck before but after I put on the snow tires....holy crap what a difference. I remember last years driving up the hill and seeing five cars stuck going up the hill. I slowly drove right around them and parked acrossed the highway and got out to help push each one of them up the hill which was only about a 100 yards but curvy and you had to go slow. I am even buying 17" rims for my cx-5 and getting another set of snow tires for my cx5...but we are having a storm right now and I drove this morning and with the 5" on the ground it handled it just as good as the snow tires. That is good since my snow tires I was able to stick my entire width of my finger in the tread where as the cx5 tires maybe 1/2 finger at most....but the awd makes up for it I guess.

Snow tires are mandatory here from dec. 15th to march 15th so we don't have a choice.. But as you said, since it's a heavy vehicle with good "seating" on the tires, I guess you get good traction even without AWD...

You know what the funniest thing is? I think my wife is even LESS interested to get a minivan... LOL :D

"You know what the funniest thing is? I think my wife is even LESS interested to get a minivan... LOL :D"

I agree...went from big engine impala back in the 80's to a chevy truck. Then purchased a new 1987 Mazda RX7 (which I still have and used it to get a 500 rebate but it has not been on the road for several years) to the Honda Odyssey and now the CX-5. It has been a wild ride....but I survived it and so will you (boom05)

I have 3 kids. 12-10-8, no more car seats, and the CX5 is manageable now. 4-5 years ago and the CX5 would have been just too small. The younger the kids the more supporting crap they need to bring along. One single stroller may fit, but the tandem double was long (the side by sides are wide, cant imagine them fitting in the back either).

When the Wife and I started wih the babies, we went to test drive mini vans, I could feel myself dying a little faster every moment I spent in it, and luckily, so did my Wife. She even said, after the test drive, "does my butt look bigger". She jokingly said, that Model we drove comes with an extra 20lbs, and a pair of sweats.

I'm not gonna say that over the years SUV's helped keep my Wife looking hot. Once again, luckily, we will never know how things may have turned out had we gone in a different direction. We have had a Mercury Mountaineer, a GMC Envoy XL and now the Expedition.

Minivans are a great solution, just not for me. Good luck.

Last edited:
She even said, after the test drive, "does my butt look bigger". She jokingly said, that Model we drove comes with an extra 20lbs, and a pair of sweats.

THAT, my friend, made my day :D Thanks for sharing the laughter!

Back