CX-5 Trim Selection Advice

:
Toyota Corolla
Hello, folks! First time posting. Been reading a lot on the forum this past couple weeks. Just like to get some thoughts on my up-coming CX-5 purchase. It is a vehicle I intend to keep for as long as possible.

I will be pulling the trigger on a CX-5 later this year (perhaps summer-ish time frame) because my 2002 Corolla is finally giving up on me... Coming from someone who has very little experience on those advanced computerized features/electronics, quite frankly, I am very overwhelmed (some may say paranoid)... Windshield display, lane keep assist, cross traffic alert, touch screen... etc and a whole lot more, apparently. It's a bit out of control in my opinion. Is it recommend going with the base trim, and just add a few desirable features? Or go all out with a higher trim level? How are the quality of those computerized features? Will those be headaches down the road in a few years?

I mostly just want the improved driving dynamics. Since the engine/transmission is exactly the same across all trims, I am considering the red Sport trim, and add only the 10 speaker system and fog light, no additional package. Will I be missing anything fundamental for not going with higher trims? Am I just being old and jaded about the modern features? I welcome advice from any angle. Thanks in advance for all the info, folks!

It really depends on how much youre willing to spend. If your budget is around $24K the Sport is good enough for most people. The only 2 things missing are Advanced Blind Spot Monitoring and Rear Cross Traffic Alert IMO but you may be able to get by them since you havent had these features before anyway. If you want a better audio system, the aftermarket upgrade now may be more difficult to do as CX-5 now has a separate tablet infotainment screen.

For $27K you can consider 2018 CX-5 Touring. But it now comes with 19 wheels which some people may not prefer and theyre more expensive to replace. Many people dislike leatherette seats in Touring, but 2018 Touring now comes with most i-ActivSense features standard but the give-away Preferred Equipment Package for 2017 CX-5 Touring now is a $1,200 option.

For about $30K you can consider a CX-5 GT which now comes with memory seat standard. You dont really need GT Premium Packagd unless you have too much money to spend.

The only problem for you is you have a bullet-proof 2002 Corolla now and you intend to keep the vehicle for as long as possible. Mazdas reliability is not like Toyota, especially nowadays all new vehicles are having too many high-tech features which are getting too complex. Any sensors or electronic modules failes it may cost an arm and a leg to replace if you dont have warranty.

Really it is personal choices. Once I got leather seats in a car i never looked back - so if no leather trim at an option level i jump up to the next level. But I also like auto wipers, auto headlights, etc. So for my 2017 it was GT with Premium package.

For the 2018 - it would be a harder choice, but likely i would still go Premium package on a GT.

2018 Sport with or without iActiv if you car about those safety features.
2018 / 17 base Touring - comes with some safety tech - not a lot.

If you are looking to spend less and dont need much features - a 17 base Touring can't be beat. I love that it is quiet and has RCTA / BSM.
17 Touring with PEP is superb as well.

If I was buying now, was on a budget - i would
1. 17 Touring with or without PEP
2. 18 Sport with i Activ if its cheaper than Touring with PEP

I value safety tech over bells and whistles.

Go with the Touring trim and you'll get everything you really need. Backup camera, blindspot monitoring and cross traffic alert.
It's the best bang for the buck.

I would pass on the Sport trim unless they've upgraded the engine from the 2.0 to the 2.5

I believe the Touring comes with fog lights. I got the 9 speaker Bose and moonroof package. That's all I need.

It really depends on how much you’re willing to spend. If your budget is around $24K the Sport is good enough for most people. The only 2 things missing are Advanced Blind Spot Monitoring and Rear Cross Traffic Alert IMO but you may be able to get by them since you haven’t had these features before anyway. If you want a better audio system, the aftermarket upgrade now may be more difficult to do as CX-5 now has a separate tablet infotainment screen.

For $27K you can consider 2018 CX-5 Touring. But it now comes with 19” wheels which some people may not prefer and they’re more expensive to replace. Many people dislike leatherette seats in Touring, but 2018 Touring now comes with most i-ActivSense features standard but the give-away Preferred Equipment Package for 2017 CX-5 Touring now is a $1,200 option.

For about $30K you can consider a CX-5 GT which now comes with memory seat standard. You don’t really need GT Premium Packagd unless you have too much money to spend.

The only problem for you is you have a bullet-proof 2002 Corolla now and you intend to keep the vehicle for as long as possible. Mazda’s reliability is not like Toyota, especially nowadays all new vehicles are having too many high-tech features which are getting too complex. Any sensors or electronic modules failes it may cost an arm and a leg to replace if you don’t have warranty.

I appreciate the breakdown, man!! Budget wise, a Touring is probably as much as I am willing to spend. But based on the info of the 17 model, looks like the Sport trim has more than enough for me. Not looking to buy a Star Destroyer XD And the 10-speaker-system I spoke of is the BOSE system that comes in higher trims. Actually, not quite sure if this is even a feature I can upgrade just by itself. Anyway, I will wait for the official build tool on the Mazda site. Thanks again!

Last edited:
If you buy a 2018 I would go with the Grand Touring without the Premium Package, but if you like all the bells and whistles you have to decide what that is worth. I will never have a car without leather, and since it is our family car my wife wants all the safety equipment. For 2017 I just could not justify the $1600 extra for the Premium, when the only thing I really wanted was the memory seats and power passenger seat, now those are standard on the 2018 GT. But honestly it is up to you and what your budget will allow. I will never buy a base model of any vehicle.

I was coming from a 2003 Pontiac Vibe (sister car to the Toyota Matrix) and went with the 17 Touring with PeP. I'm not missing lane keep assist, adaptive cruise and Heads Up Display. I didn't want leather Or cloth so the 'leatherette' works for me. I really like keyless entry, push button start and auto headlights. The Bose system is 'OK' but mostly I enjoy having a sunroof for the first time. From the PeP I could have lived without rain sensing wipers, auto dimming rear view mirror, and you can get the Navi SD card off of Ebay for $80 if the dealer won't just throw it in as part of your deal.

Last edited:
I personally don't care much for leather, to be honest. If not necessary, I am also looking to opt out of a bunch of the fancy gimmicks, which is why I am looking at the Sport trim.

Go with the Touring trim and you'll get everything you really need. Backup camera, blindspot monitoring and cross traffic alert.
It's the best bang for the buck.

I would pass on the Sport trim unless they've upgraded the engine from the 2.0 to the 2.5

I believe the Touring comes with fog lights. I got the 9 speaker Bose and moonroof package. That's all I need.

Actually, I believe Mazda did upgrade all trims to the 2.5 with the 2018 models, which is why I am comfortable with the Sport trim. But then again, I could be wrong... I am waiting for official updates on the Mazda site; spec sheet, available upgrades and build tool. I'll know for sure by then.

Just a personal thought here but my thinking is that when the safety systems save your bacon the first time they just paid for themselves.

⋯ I believe the Touring comes with fog lights.
Mazda North American Operations took away fog lights on Touring since 2017 MY. You can add them from Mazda genuine accessory.

Really it is personal choices. Once I got leather seats in a car i never looked back - so if no leather trim at an option level i jump up to the next level. But I also like auto wipers, auto headlights, etc. So for my 2017 it was GT with Premium package.

For the 2018 - it would be a harder choice, but likely i would still go Premium package on a GT.

I agree about the leather seats. In fact, I prefer the cloth seats on the lowest, Sport US model over the fake suede of the middle, Touring model.

Just a personal thought here but my thinking is that when the safety systems save your bacon the first time they just paid for themselves.

I agree. Also, check with your insurance agent as to the cost of insuring the different trim levels (provide them VIN #s if possible). Sometimes safety features will pay for themselves in lower insurance costs over the life of ownership.

Hello, folks! First time posting. Been reading a lot on the forum this past couple weeks. Just like to get some thoughts on my up-coming CX-5 purchase. It is a vehicle I intend to keep for as long as possible.

I will be pulling the trigger on a CX-5 later this year (perhaps summer-ish time frame) because my 2002 Corolla is finally giving up on me... Coming from someone who has very little experience on those advanced computerized features/electronics, quite frankly, I am very overwhelmed (some may say paranoid)... Windshield display, lane keep assist, cross traffic alert, touch screen... etc and a whole lot more, apparently. It's a bit out of control in my opinion. Is it recommend going with the base trim, and just add a few desirable features? Or go all out with a higher trim level? How are the quality of those computerized features? Will those be headaches down the road in a few years?

I mostly just want the improved driving dynamics. Since the engine/transmission is exactly the same across all trims, I am considering the red Sport trim, and add only the 10 speaker system and fog light, no additional package. Will I be missing anything fundamental for not going with higher trims? Am I just being old and jaded about the modern features? I welcome advice from any angle. Thanks in advance for all the info, folks!

Sure, as yrwei puts it, it is down to cost, but if the cost isn't an issue, then there are other considerations.

So my angle is that I don't want a lot of distracting tech, or tech that would increase my cost of owning the vehicle. I like to drive, I don't want a car that makes me coffee, or that I watch TV on. I simply want to drive and enjoy driving.

As such, when I bought my CX-5, I got a base Touring trim with none of the packages added (I believe there were options for either a bose/moonroof or technology package at the time). Why? Well part of it was money, sure, but the other part was really that I didn't want the headache of added tech and problems that could arise. Hell, I only went Touring because it had the 2.5L engine (Sport had 2.0L at the time), and the only tech that I actually cared about which was the backup camera, blind spot monitoring, and better radio with pandora/usb/bluetooth which the Sport didn't have. Since the newer Sports have all that, I'd probably be content with a Sport these days!

Other thoughts: We had a horrible hailstorm back in May that absolutely destroyed cars and windshields that were in it. Luckily I was not in its path, but suppose I had been caught driving in it. Would I rather have a moonroof or regular roof above me? For my windshield would I rather have a cheaper to replace windshield, or more expensive windshields that work with the tech (rain sensing, etc.)? If my headlights go out would I rather buy a cheap bulb to replace, or a whole LED assembly which is not cheap? Do I want tech that constantly distracts me and beeps at me?

My answer to most of those questions was the go the simple route. My base 2014 Touring is probably equivalent to the Sport trim on 2017+ MY. I've never once wished I had more tech in it, mostly because I never wanted the tech and still don't, I hate leather seats (my Touring has cloth), and I simply enjoy driving, as you put it, the driving dynamics.

So if you feel like I do, then I think you'll be perfectly fine with a Sport or Touring trim. On the other hand if you feel you will wish you had the tech down the road, then you are better off just springing for the GT.

Last edited:
Sure, as yrwei puts it, it is down to cost, but if the cost isn't an issue, then there are other considerations.

So my angle is that I don't want a lot of distracting tech, or tech that would increase my cost of owning the vehicle. I like to drive, I don't want a car that makes me coffee, or that I watch TV on. I simply want to drive and enjoy driving.

As such, when I bought my CX-5, I got a base Touring trim with none of the packages added (I believe there were options for either a bose/moonroof or technology package at the time). Why? Well part of it was money, sure, but the other part was really that I didn't want the headache of added tech and problems that could arise. Hell, I only went Touring because it had the 2.5L engine (Sport had 2.0L at the time), and the only tech that I actually cared about which was the backup camera, blind spot monitoring, and better radio with pandora/usb/bluetooth which the Sport didn't have. Since the newer Sports have all that, I'd probably be content with a Sport these days!

Other thoughts: We had a horrible hailstorm back in May that absolutely destroyed cars and windshields that were in it. Luckily I was not in its path, but suppose I had been caught driving in it. Would I rather have a moonroof or regular roof above me? For my windshield would I rather have a cheaper to replace windshield, or more expensive windshields that work with the tech (rain sensing, etc.)? If my headlights go out would I rather buy a cheap bulb to replace, or a whole LED assembly which is not cheap? Do I want tech that constantly distracts me and beeps at me?

My answer to most of those questions was the go the simple route. My base 2014 Touring is probably equivalent to the Sport trim on 2017+ MY. I've never once wished I had more tech in it, mostly because I never wanted the tech and still don't, I hate leather seats (my Touring has cloth), and I simply enjoy driving, as you put it, the driving dynamics.

So if you feel like I do, then I think you'll be perfectly fine with a Sport or Touring trim. On the other hand if you feel you will wish you had the tech down the road, then you are better off just springing for the GT.

To add a bit of a counterpoint, I typically agree about not wanting the driver nannies. My daily driver is a 2017 VW Golf GTI Sport with 6 speed manual with cloth seats and no supplemental driver assist packages. When we were shopping for the CX5, memory seats were mandatory since I am a foot taller than my wife, so we got all the bells and whistles on our 2017 CX5. Fast forward to this past weekend...we dropped my son back off to college after his Christmas break. On the way home, the traffic was bumper to bumper on the world famous 405 (big surprise). I fired up the radar cruise and basically drove 20 miles ranging from 0 to 35 MPH with me only providing steering input (and my right foot hovering over the brake pedal until I gained some trust!). I was so impressed with the smooth driving performance...it really was a very relaxing drive home. We also have a BMW i3 that the CX5 will eventually replace as my wife's daily driver when we turn it back into BMW in a few months. The i3 has a camera based adaptive cruise control that is very scary to use. It basically makes every adaptive slow down/stop in traffic like a panic stop. Very disconcerting to the point where I don't use it. It also shuts itself off (and the regen kicks in...) if the sun is not aligned perfectly in the sky.

Since the CX5 will be our long distance baseball tournament car (my younger son plays every weekend). the added tech is definitely going to make for a more relaxed driving experience. I honestly didn't think I would be as impressed as I was. I am very happy we ended up with some of the tech that I originally would have opted out of had I had a choice.

The new tech is a learning experience for many of us. I for one appreciate the technology but I won’t rely on it. I am still the Captain so to speak.

One example is the LDW. I didn’t like the audible warnings to that went away first thing. The other thing I did was turn off the LDW intervention. I don’t like the car fighting me back when I have to swerve around an object or transit thru construction zones. Now I have only a visual warning in the HUD. That’s perfect for me.

The rest of the tech is just fine. Good thing we have options.

The new tech is a learning experience for many of us. I for one appreciate the technology but I won’t rely on it. I am still the Captain so to speak.

One example is the LDW. I didn’t like the audible warnings to that went away first thing. The other thing I did was turn off the LDW intervention. I don’t like the car fighting me back when I have to swerve around an object or transit thru construction zones. Now I have only a visual warning in the HUD. That’s perfect for me.

The rest of the tech is just fine. Good thing we have options.

When you turn these off, they don't come back on when you restart the CX-5 (uhm)

I agree. Also, check with your insurance agent as to the cost of insuring the different trim levels (provide them VIN #s if possible). Sometimes safety features will pay for themselves in lower insurance costs over the life of ownership.

This is a great point I did not think of. Thank you for bringing it up!

When you turn these off, they don't come back on when you restart the CX-5 (uhm)

No they don’t. I went under settings for the LDW. The intervention is a check box. There is a option of off for audible warnings. These selections have stuck for me since I selected them.

Back