CX-5 Ride quality on 17” wheels vs 19”?

celfan

Hello. I’m currently ending my lease. I have a 21 model with 19 inch wheels. My car is basically in the middle between the 24 preferred and premium. I had a deal worked out for the preferred and they were going to put my Hakkapilita (sp) snow tires back on for the remaining two months of slick weather. That’s when I found out about the preferred having 17 wheels. So the two concerns are having to buy new snow tires for next year (I still have half life on the thousand dollar Haks), and the different ride on the 17s and 19s. Any thoughts? Thanks

Both sets of wheels are the same overall diameter, so the 17 inch wheels will have more sidewall to absorb bumps and road imperfections. This means more cushion and a more comfortable ride. The increased sidewall also results in more flex, so cornering and handling may feel less responsive and "mushy".

I did not notice much difference, but the stock tires probably aren't the best point of comparison. Be wary of anyone claiming huge differences due to size if they aren't comparing the same kind of tire.

17's have a smoother ride.
Both sets of wheels are the same overall diameter, so the 17 inch wheels will have more sidewall to absorb bumps and road imperfections. This means more cushion and a more comfortable ride. The increased sidewall also results in more flex, so cornering and handling may feel less responsive and "mushy".
Actually think the 17's corner better and feel more responsive.
More rubber on the tire.

I did not notice much difference, but the stock tires probably aren't the best point of comparison. Be wary of anyone claiming huge differences due to size if they aren't comparing the same kind of tire.
ditto not like 225/55-19 are super low profile tires.

ditto not like 225/55-19 are super low profile tires.
I don't think they are "super low profile". But my point is no one can compare the 17" to the 19" if they are comparing Yokohoma Geolandars to Toyo A36's. The comparison isn't with the same tires so the conclusions are invalid.

Yes. The 17 Yokohama ride much better in terms of comfort. Even different tire brand in the CX5 17 size.
Right. No comparison.

Hello. I’m currently ending my lease. I have a 21 model with 19 inch wheels. My car is basically in the middle between the 24 preferred and premium. I had a deal worked out for the preferred and they were going to put my Hakkapilita (sp) snow tires back on for the remaining two months of slick weather. That’s when I found out about the preferred having 17 wheels. So the two concerns are having to buy new snow tires for next year (I still have half life on the thousand dollar Haks), and the different ride on the 17s and 19s. Any thoughts? Thanks

The CX-5 rides and drives like it was designed for the 17" wheels. rough pavement and mismatches are muted and sometimes go unnoticed. Steering response is good and it feels steady and controlled. I switched to 19s because my previous CX-5 was a GT and I like the sharpened response from the shorter sidewall of the 19" tires and don't mind the increase in harshness over all bumps. Depending on the tire chosen, the difference may be small enough that some people wouldn't notice the change in ride. It might be likened to running the 17s at 52 psi rather than 38.

I run 19's in summer and 17's in winter and have for 7 years now.
The difference is barely noticeable.

Does anybody know if the oem 17 fit the Turbo model?
Turbo has bigger brakes in front.
I remember there was some discussion about people putting smaller winter wheels on and I thought that the 17s would be okay, but barely. Would have to do a search for those threads.

Back