2017~2024 CX-5 Fob cover?

:
Upstate NY
:
'23 CX5
Anyone know of a fob cover that is not bulky, yet will somehow protect the alarm button so it doesn't go off while moving around in one's pocket?

You’re right. It’s a big Fob made even bigger by putting any type of protective skin over it. However, such a skin has another benefit… as I discovered. My wife showed me her Fob for our 2023. The back was missing. As most women do, she keeps it in a purse. The only handling here key ring gets is for house keys. She checked all her purses and clothing pockets without success. As bad luck would have it, the emergency key inside the Fob was also missing. Had she had a skin over it, it wouldn’t have been lost.

I called the dealer and was quoted a price of $35 US for the metal key and $85 for just the cover. It seemed a bit steep for the part that doesn’t even have the Mazda logo on it. I found a replacement case on Amazon that had everything but the circuit board for $17.29. I got the new case, scavenged the back and took the key blank to a locksmith. He charged $11.00 for the cut of my supplied key.

Even when encased, the buttons can still be pressed by something else in your pocket. The fix…ditch the skinny jeans and wear loose pocketed pants🙂

You’re right. It’s a big Fob made even bigger by putting any type of protective skin over it. However, such a skin has another benefit… as I discovered. My wife showed me her Fob for our 2023. The back was missing. As most women do, she keeps it in a purse. The only handling here key ring gets is for house keys. She checked all her purses and clothing pockets without success. As bad luck would have it, the emergency key inside the Fob was also missing. Had she had a skin over it, it wouldn’t have been lost.

I called the dealer and was quoted a price of $35 US for the metal key and $85 for just the cover. It seemed a bit steep for the part that doesn’t even have the Mazda logo on it. I found a replacement case on Amazon that had everything but the circuit board for $17.29. I got the new case, scavenged the back and took the key blank to a locksmith. He charged $11.00 for the cut of my supplied key.

Even when encased, the buttons can still be pressed by something else in your pocket. The fix…ditch the skinny jeans and wear loose pocketed pants🙂
LOL, no I do not wear tight jeans; I do carry a key ring besides the fob. The button thing only happens when I bend over or maybe lift my leg up for something.

Back