2013~2016 CX-5 200k km maintenance questions

riffraff

Contributor
:
2013 CX-5 GX MT
My 2013 6 MT 2.0L is nearing 200,000 km (125,000 miles). Is there any suggested maintenance / replacement for parts that have a shelf life?

Dealer has recommended fuel injector cleaning for $250😳
I’m a bit overdue for coolant replacement, but it’s on the list.
The valve cover gasket is sweating a tiny bit. I wonder if I should consider replacement of that and OCV in next year or so.
Brakes and plugs done at 130k so they’re good. It doesn’t use oil.
It will give me a funny little burp/funt on warm starts, but it is almost imperceptible and wouldn't be noticeable to anyone else so for now I just pay attention.

I guess I’m trying to see into the future and be proactive, though it has been completely reliable.

Thanks!

Last edited:
A bottle of this every 10k miles, will keep your injectors clean enough. Redline will tell you to run a little every tank. i don't.

I run 2 cans of this every 30k miles to clean my intake valves. The first time was at 60k and I got about 2 mpg better.
After a good cleaning, one can every 30k is probably good.

Because I tow, I change the trans and diff lubes every 30k miles. Probably not required, but I think that would be a good idea for you.

Check the manual, but you've hit on the big one, coolant change.

Upvote 0
I run 2 cans of this every 30k miles to clean my intake valves. The first time was at 60k and I got about 2 mpg better.

@ColtX-5 -- If I may ask, where do you find this STP Pro Series Intake Valve Cleaner product? Noplace near me seems to carry it (Napa, AutoZone, Advance Auto, O'Reilly), and Amazon doesn't have the stuff.

Upvote 0
A bottle of this every 10k miles, will keep your injectors clean enough. Redline will tell you to run a little every tank. i don't.

Because I tow, I change the trans and diff lubes every 30k miles. Probably not required, but I think that would be a good idea for you.

Check the manual, but you've hit on the big one, coolant change.
If it is direct injection, this method will have zero effect on cleaning valves since the fuel is being injected directly into the combustion chamber, completely bypassing the valves. Only thing you can do to clean valves is to media blast the carbon build up

Upvote 0
If it is direct injection, this method will have zero effect on cleaning valves since the fuel is being injected directly into the combustion chamber, completely bypassing the valves. Only thing you can do to clean valves is to media blast the carbon build up
Exactly.
This stuff only works if fuel is injected before the intake valves.
Any direct injection engine does not have fuel flowing past the intake valves.
You might try spraying some kind of a cleaner into the air intake while the engine is running. That way it gets sucked in past the valves. Worth a try.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

@ColtX-5's recommendation for the SI-1 cleaner is a replacement for the dealer-quoted $250 job. The STP Intake Valve Cleaner he linked is a chemical cleaner that does clean the valves, though not as well as walnut blasting the valves. Still, it's a non-invasive way to get a decent clean and regain some lost mileage, and much cheaper and easier than walnut-blasting.

Upvote 0
@ColtX-5's recommendation for the SI-1 cleaner is a replacement for the dealer-quoted $250 job. The STP Intake Valve Cleaner he linked is a chemical cleaner that does clean the valves, though not as well as walnut blasting the valves. Still, it's a non-invasive way to get a decent clean and regain some lost mileage, and much cheaper and easier than walnut-blasting.

Do you apply it through the fuel system or the air intake?

Upvote 0
Do you apply it through the fuel system or the air intake?

You add SI-1 cleaner to the fuel tank during a fill up. The chemical detergents in it can help to clean up your fuel injectors to make sure they don't get clogged up. It's a $10-20 bottle you can buy at Autozone or on Amazon. That's what the dealer is quoting the OP $250 for - it's highly unlikely that they'll do an actual fuel injector service which involves removing the fuel injectors from the vehicle.

The STP Intake Valve Cleaner can be applied through the intake or the throttle body. I'm not familiar with that particular cleaner, but they always include instructions, and you can usually find a DIY guide on YouTube.

Upvote 0
@ColtX-5 -- If I may ask, where do you find this STP Pro Series Intake Valve Cleaner product? Noplace near me seems to carry it (Napa, AutoZone, Advance Auto, O'Reilly), and Amazon doesn't have the stuff.

I could not find it this time, either and I used 2 cans of CRC intake and Turbo Cleaner.
It was at AutoZone and O'rielly's. It's less convenient because you have to weight the accelerator, or borrow a friend to keep the engine RPM up while you spray it. Pull the EGR tube out and spray into the hole. Probably works as well as the STP. The engine feels peppier after.

Upvote 0
Back