CV joint going bad?

event

So I have a squeak/creak coming from the left front suspension (most noticeable when turning right). Thought it was rubbing at first, but there are no signs of rubbing on the tire or wheels, and there is plenty of clearance all around the wheel.

I got under the car today and rotated the wheel by hand. At a certain point, a slight squeak/creak is heard coming from the inner (I think) CV joint. Its really quiet when hand turning, but it's certainly there and at the same point in revolution. The rubber boot looks uniform all the way round. Is the CV going bad? Is it something dealer worthy? I still have bumper to bumper (37,000mi)...

I know I could just go to the dealer anyways, but I the service department is rarely available when I'm not at work.

Are you noticing any other abnormal noises? The front CV axles are pretty good, and if it was going bad your hear more of a popping clunking noise. Something I'd do is jack it back up, and do a shake wobble test. Grab the wheel, and try to shake it from side to side, and up and down. I'd would guess at more a wheel bearing going out. the symptoms of that is bump steer, not tracking straight, squeaks/ growling, and vibration. It can also sound like you're constantly going over a rumble strip.

Back