Cuts out

slinky

:
Mazda, Protege, 1994
Okay, I have two type R subs (peak 1G and like 4 or 500 RMS per sub) I have a 600 watt amp (kenwood) going to both subs, the system hits hard, but after a lil bit OR if i turn it up to loud, then the amp like cuts out and I can only hear the speakers (not connected to the amp) and not the subs, unless I turn the sub down then when I turn it up, i am able to hit sometimes jsut as hard and other times I cant turn it up as loud other wise it will cut, if i keep doing it (where I turn the system down and stuff) then it starts to become choppy, meaning the subs will hit for like a couple seconds then cut out for a couple seconds, then keep doing it, unless I turn the system ALL the way down and it seems like the amps isnt holding the power. Now I was wondering if i bought another amp OR if a bought a capacitor, would this help the problem?? because I know the amp is underpowering the subs. Also before when I had my truck (before I totaled it and got my mazda) I had the same problem BUT i had a 760 watt Sony going to it, and it did not seem to cut out as bad, although it still did cut, and its embarrassing when it cuts out, please help. If I just hook my 760 watt amp up with the 600 watt amp to both the subs, will this kill the problem?!?!?!?!

how do I cool it down? The amp does not have a fan, if I hook up my other amp, will they be cooler, and no longer become a problem???
also, thanx for telling me what the problem was

slinky said:
Okay, I have two type R subs (peak 1G and like 4 or 500 RMS per sub) I have a 600 watt amp (kenwood) going to both subs, the system hits hard, but after a lil bit OR if i turn it up to loud, then the amp like cuts out and I can only hear the speakers (not connected to the amp) and not the subs, unless I turn the sub down then when I turn it up, i am able to hit sometimes jsut as hard and other times I cant turn it up as loud other wise it will cut, if i keep doing it (where I turn the system down and stuff) then it starts to become choppy, meaning the subs will hit for like a couple seconds then cut out for a couple seconds, then keep doing it, unless I turn the system ALL the way down and it seems like the amps isnt holding the power. Now I was wondering if i bought another amp OR if a bought a capacitor, would this help the problem?? because I know the amp is underpowering the subs. Also before when I had my truck (before I totaled it and got my mazda) I had the same problem BUT i had a 760 watt Sony going to it, and it did not seem to cut out as bad, although it still did cut, and its embarrassing when it cuts out, please help. If I just hook my 760 watt amp up with the 600 watt amp to both the subs, will this kill the problem?!?!?!?!

Let's forget peak/maximum power and just use RMS power. What size are your Type-Rs and what is the model of your amp?

15" Type-Rs are 500W RMS, 12" are 300W RMS. Do you know whether your Type-Rs are 2ohm DVC or 4ohm DVC? (it helps if you know their exact model number)

Is your Kenwood amp 600W RMS or maximum? Is it a two-channel amp? If you tell us the model, we can help you diagnose what's not working right in your setup.

If it's a two channel amp, do you have each sub hooked up to an individual channel (sub 1 to channel 1, sub 2 to channel 2), or do you have the channels bridged (such that both sub 1 and 2 connect to the bridged 1&2 channels).

If the latter is the case, then it's quite possible that your amp is not 2-ohm stable when bridged. So, when you hook up two 4-ohm speakers in parallel to the amp bridged, you present a 2-ohm load. And when you start turning up the power, it dies.

But we can't know for sure until we know the "ohms" of your subs (exact models) and exact model of the amp.

A capacitor will not at all help your problem, don't waste your money.

If it cuts out right away (e.g. you blast it in the morning after the car's been running for 1 minute), it's likely an impedance problem and not an overheating problem. You may need a bigger amp (or a second amp).

slinky said:
BUT i had a 760 watt Sony going to it, and it did not seem to cut out as bad, although it still did cut, and its embarrassing when it cuts out, please help. If I just hook my 760 watt amp up with the 600 watt amp to both the subs, will this kill the problem?!?!?!?!

Be careful with "760 watt amp", because the 760 watts is a bulls*** rating (it's peak/maximum). You want the RMS rating. What's the model of the Sony amp?

If it's a "760 watt amp", it's more likely to be 380W RMS bridged. So assuming that "600 watt" is also the max power for your Kenwood amp, it also puts out 300W bridged.

Thus, if you hook up your Sony and Kenwood to each of the subs (each bridged), then you may have your problem solved.

Astral you are a god!!!!!
I just got done hooking up the other amp, and IT FINALLY WORKS WITH NOOOOO CUTTING OUT, I turned my system all loud and drove around, It feels so good now to be able to turn it up without the fear of it cutting off, specially 'round chics :)
(yippy) (yippy) (yippy) (yippy) (yippy) (nana) (nana) (nana) (nana) (nana) (nana) (nana) (nana) (nana) (nana)

THANKYOUU GREATLY FOR THE INFO MAN!!

so you are running 2 subs, each with a different amp going to them. Are they each in their own enclosure or are they in the same box? you'v egot one sub maybe getting 350W and the other getting maybe 300 or 600 depending on model numbers. Sounds like a ****** up install!...Sorry to be blunt.

You should have thought about impedance of the subs before getting them and installing them. Your original problem was probably that you were driving the amp too low on the impedance and it would shut down due to overheating.

****** up install??? Like i said, this problem was in my truck, I didnt do the install in the truck, and this problem happend, the problem happend in my new car and there was already a setup for it, and my brother got the install from car toys or what ever its called, so i know its not the install if it happend in both vehicles, for the amp, I was always changing the settings on the amp and it still cut, as well as on the deck, still same problem, the subs are having two different amps to them BUT I honestly cannot hear the difference on which is putting out the most power. they work fine now and do not cut out with two amps

Rider69 said:
so you are running 2 subs, each with a different amp going to them. Are they each in their own enclosure or are they in the same box? you'v egot one sub maybe getting 350W and the other getting maybe 300 or 600 depending on model numbers. Sounds like a ****** up install!...Sorry to be blunt.

I checked out Kenwood's site and it is very likely that it's 300W instead of 600 (they appear to use max ratings for their model numbers or ads).

Hey slinky, glad to hear it all worked! The different power is going to show its effect when you drive one of the amps to the max. E.g. your Kenwood will be putting out 300W (its RMS rating) and you keep turning up, then your Sony will start putting out more, but your Kenwood will start clipping. However, I suspect that the subs will get pretty loud before that starts happening.

If you don't drive the lower-powered amp to the limit, then as long as the gains are matched, it'll sound just fine.

Slinky, to be sure, match the gains on both amps. Shut off one amp (so that only one sub is playing), and play some bass tone. Leave the headunit volume at some constant setting, like 50%. Remember how loud that one sub got (it would help if you had an SPL meter to calibrate). Then turn on the other amp and shut off the one you just had on. Play the exact same sound, at exact headunit volume, and adjust the amp's gain to be as loud as you heard it before. As long as, given equal head unit volume, both amps play the same bass at the same volume (their gains may be different though), you'll have good sound. (Until you start maxing out one of the amps).

Back