Custom Intake Cam

akhilleus

So, I have this stock intake cam sitting around. I have no use for it. So I thought maybe I could improve on it a little bit. Here is my idea.
I will send it out to crower, have it worked on a little bit, make it available to the NA protege community, if it works out, maybe i could convince Crower to sell it as a proprietary grind. Any interest? The prototype would be sold for a very reasonable price. If it was successful than we could go from there. Just a thought, I could offer some options for the NA protege cam market.

akhilleus said:
I could offer some options for the NA protege cam market.
We've all been down this road so many times...

If Crower will grind the cam so that we get max torque from about 3K+ through 5.5K, we'd be in business. I don't care if it lopes at idle, I want performance and don't care about smoothness at 750-1000 rpm. One assumes this goes with header/CB system of some performance quality, as well as usual bolt-ons and would be further improved with at least minor p'n'p, if not bigger valves and some more serious head work. Assume, A.K., you're talking NA here.

Very interested as I'm currently playing with Dyno 2K 'puter program and numerous cam settings.

Obviously, I'm up for it!

I would be looking for the max numbers afforded by a regrind. It would be different than the JDM cam since it would have slightly less duration @ .050" but more at .010" and a decent increase in lift. The lift increase should provide more power throughout the band, less at the highest rpm, but hopefully more breathable. However I will have to investigate this further, since no matter what the numbers it will always be limited by the exhaust side.

I may not even do it though....i may just sell the stock intake cam and advise the buyer on what potential specs to use. I will let u all know what i decide.

akhilleus said:
I will have to investigate this further, since no matter what the numbers it will always be limited by the exhaust side.
That's the key. The cats have to go or be replaced by extremely high efficiency models coupled with, at the least, a serious header/exhaust system. Head mods including bigger valves recommended to release max potential of the regrind. Add adjustable cam gears. Been there, done that.

Last edited:
I meant the exhaust cam. You can add extensive exhaust mods and w/o the cam modified they will never realize their potential. When I first eliminated the primary cat, and then added a header later, i was surpised by how little it really opened up. Oversize valves would be a nice addition as well, but if a proper exhaust cam is made, they shouldnt be necessary. Its kinda pathetic that there is basically no options for an aggressive exhaust cam, except a billet grind. Although a higher lift intake cam would be nice too. I wonder if anyone ever got a JDM intake cam and had that reground, that could see even better potential.

Thats a good deal! And he is including the shims as well. Only thing that sucks is the rough idle. However I wonder why they weren't patterned(ie different specs for exhaust can intake). Thos specs however are too high for a regrind.
The max specs for an intake regrind is 208@.050" and .354" lift, Thats similar to Wagners cam specs, if i can remember correctly.

i dont know what happened to him --- i tried to get more info -- but he seemed to disappear -- so thats the only info there is about those - :(

i would like to know if with something like an MPI for tuning if it would stop the CEL at idle --- then that would be cool :)

Back