Custom Cams!

:
2001 323 Astina SP20 (P5)
I dont know if many of you guys have seen the GB i've run for protege5 (et al) camshafts (see http://www.msprotege.com/vbb300/showthread.php?t=123643916 ), but the cam guy i've got seams quite keen on getting a GB happening for 3 2L and 2.3L owners (well 2L owners with the LF-VE engine...was that even sold in america? i have no idea) and 6 owners with the 2.3L.

what sort of interest would i get if i were to arrange a GB for cams?

i'd have no idea on specs, but my cam guy and i would have no trouble working out something that'll be a good NA as well as FI setup (with appropriate overlap adjustments)

if there were a set to fit my 2.0l i'd be down, but I'm pretty sure I don't have the LF-VE motor.

i dont think the lfve motor was sold here just the mzr...

would there have to be a different cam for the 2.0 guys without vvt and the guys with vvt??

i love the idea of a fi and a na grind cuase i know a lot of people that want one or the other...

how will the duration/lift and over lap be determined will it be all computer or will there be a couple test cars to try a couple of different variants on before a purchasable grind is avialable...

and if thats the case are there boosted mzr engines in oz that are available for this type of work?

price est seems reasonable especially since there are no other options out there for cams and our beloved mzr motor as the focus cams won't work well due to vvt...

Last edited:
cam specs will all be determined with many many many years of camshaft experience and computer programs

and yes, this is all just a what if thread...many things need to be worked out before anything is done, i'm just trying to find out of there is enough interest to warrant work for me and my cam guy

I would be so down, but the funds are gonna have to wait until after the holiday season, and I think that applies to just about everyone.

the LF-VE was available starting in 2006 models here in north america... it uses the same intake cam as the L3-VE... exhaust cams different... I'm talking about the STOCK cams

you do NOT want to install these yourself, special tools ARE required to remove the crank pulley and also to time the engine... unless there's a shop that specializes in duratec/MZR tuning, you'll be forced to have the dealer install them for you... these tools are NOT cheap!

TheMAN said:
the LF-VE was available starting in 2006 models here in north america... it uses the same intake cam as the L3-VE... exhaust cams different... I'm talking about the STOCK cams

you do NOT want to install these yourself, special tools ARE required to remove the crank pulley and also to time the engine... unless there's a shop that specializes in duratec/MZR tuning, you'll be forced to have the dealer install them for you... these tools are NOT cheap!

What dealer would install performance cams for you?

Back