curious about repair prices

madsmartguy

:
2002 Mazda Protege 5
I was hoping some of you can tell me what typical repairs at a local mechanic should cost, and hopeful this could be a reference for people in the future.

Specifically I'm curious about:

spark plugs

belts

alternator

battery

brake pads

rotors

timing belt

anything really...I'll try to update this first post to make it nice and neat once I get a bunch of answers.

Thanks in advance.

Alternator is really annoying, I mean REALLY annoying, it requires patience and some dexterity to reach around....wouldn't say it's "easy" but I guess it depends on the experience you have.

Timing Belt is probably is the most difficult as I think you have to replace the water pump and gasket as well, I think you also need a new valve cover gasket, but that's just a guess.

Bottom line, even if you aren't a wrench head, most of the things you listed can be done at sufficient cost savings to you if you do them yourself. Also, with pads and rotors, you can ensure you get quality rotors and pads instead of whatever midas offers. My advice is to search around a little bit and read the shop manual and some how-tos...good luck!

Too easy to pay for:

spark plugs - gap to .44, don't overtighten
battery - disconnect terminals, remove, replace

All of these are very simple and have how-tos on the forum or can be found in the manual stickied a the top of the section:
belts
brake pads
rotors

I've never done either of these, and may pay for the timing belt if it's not ridiculous (just to avoid the hassle):
timing belt
alternator

Yeah, I agree with the posts above. Most of this takes about 1 hour of time, and not much money in parts cost. I'm going to attemp the timing belt when I get a long weekend off of work, or over the summer when the wife and kids are gone on vacation and the ankle biters are gone. The timing belt / water pump change would probably cost you a ton at a mechanic simply due to the time involved. The labor would be the bulk of the job cost.

Latest posts

Back