Creaking Noise? Body Flex/Rear Exterior Door Trim/Weatherstripping

Z31

2022 CX-9 GS-L
I've had an annoying creaking sound that happens at slow speed, turning over any kind bump/dip. Especially noticeable pulling into the driveway. I thought it was just a combination of body flex and headliner or interior trim, but I have pinned it down to the rear door trim pieces around the frame.

I can simulate the noise by pushing on the door from the outside. Wondering if anyone else has this issue and has come up with a solution? Perhaps some way to lubricate? If I go around the frame of the door and squeeze/massage around the other edge of the door, then I can get it to stop for a little while.

A link to the noise:

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/ottpqqZxFUc

Last edited:
We have a 2022 cx-9 signature with the same issue. I found that if I close the rear window and then bump the window down switch really quick, it lowers the window enough to take the pressure off the door frame. It stopped the creaking noise on ours. I wish they was a way to reset the window to not have so much up pressure when fully closed. My service manager had no fix. Hope this helps you.

We have a 2022 cx-9 signature with the same issue. I found that if I close the rear window and then bump the window down switch really quick, it lowers the window enough to take the pressure off the door frame. It stopped the creaking noise on ours. I wish they was a way to reset the window to not have so much up pressure when fully closed. My service manager had no fix. Hope this helps you.

Interesting! I still love the car in spite of the minor quirks, but they're definitely adding up.

If I massage the rubber around the top of the door on the inside (not the main, thick weather stripping), I can get it to stop for a few days.

Not having issues with mirror that I know of. What's going on with yours?
"Minor" issues :)

Left a bit disappointed with dealer visit, but probably good to have a baseline/notation of all issues even if they're not catastrophic.

1. Clunk from struts: they tightened up the cowl + strut mount bolts (I had already gone thru TSB, but they gave the some extra)

2. Front drivers seat base rocks slightly: No adjustment, they compared to another one on the lot and it was the same. Minor issue, but will monitor.

3. Driveline vibration under acceleration and lower acceleration, (feel it usually during 50-60% throttle and after 1-2 shift). Feel it in the floor. It feels like a CV joint or driveshaft. This is also minor and perhaps it's just how it is. Most people probably wouldn't notice. Will just monitor to see if gets worse.

4. Door trim creaks against the body, especially when body flexes. Not a big deal, but the sound of the noise seems so extreme for what is happening. Cheapens the feel of the car which otherwise feels quite substantial.

Minor nit-picky stuff! Just need to stay away from the dealership and all will be good.

I had that creak on the rear doors when new, I have a '21. It's definitely the weather stripping. As there are two strips of rubber - one on the door and another on the body, just apply some protectant on both (Armor All, 303, etc.) to make the rubber more supple.

That's what I did, never heard the creaks again.

I had that creak on the rear doors when new, I have a '21. It's definitely the weather stripping. As there are two strips of rubber - one on the door and another on the body, just apply some protectant on both (Armor All, 303, etc.) to make the rubber more supple.

That's what I did, never heard the creaks again.

Ahh, good idea! I applied silicone spray to inner rubber, but will give the outer seal a soak. It’s almost like it’s in between the layers of plastic that squeaks.

I've had an annoying creaking sound that happens at slow speed, turning over any kind bump/dip. Especially noticeable pulling into the driveway. I thought it was just a combination of body flex and headliner or interior trim, but I have pinned it down to the rear door trim pieces around the frame.

I can simulate the noise by pushing on the door from the outside. Wondering if anyone else has this issue and has come up with a solution? Perhaps some way to lubricate? If I go around the frame of the door and squeeze/massage around the other edge of the door, then I can get it to stop for a little while.

A link to the noise:

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/ottpqqZxFUc
Oh the surprises we find shortly after taking ownership. That’s annoying AF. Hope you get it resolved.

Latest posts

Back