Cosmo brake upgrade

DMRH

:
JC Cosmo + FE RX-8
G'day guys.

I have a single oppurtunity at a "sample" order from a manufacturer to get a Front brake kit custom made for the Cosmo. I get to make a single sample order of what ever monotary value before a minimum US$10,000 order.

In this sample order, I will get Brake kits to-order only as I dont want to be left with any floating around. My price is going to be US$900 per set (postage & taxes seperate*)

Details are.......

2-piece 330mm x 32mm slotted rotor x 2pcs.

Lightweight aluminum centre hat x 2pcs done in 5x114.3mm stud pattern with correct offset.

6-piston caliper (painted red) x 2pcs.

Caliper mounting bracket x 2pcs.

Stainless steel brake line x 2pcs.

High performance sport brake pads x 4 pcs/ 1set.

Tool kit x 1.

dmrh330a.jpg

Let me know your thoughts guys. I have 3x interested parties so far & want to place the order by NOV-09 for a JAN-10 delivery.

REgards

* means I am still unsure on the shipping costs to me in Sydney before adding shipping costs back out to various other cities, countries etc.

Ooooh...Very nice...You know what EC owners want! ;)

Got a few questions...

* Who is supplying the kit and where are the parts from (Oz, China)?

* Also...These should fit within my old school 18" RAYS correct?

I'm very interested but I've got other financial priorities at the moment...Not sure if I can get in on this GB at this time...We'll see...(bump) for those that can!

PLEASE NOTE: A first-time/one-time/non-vendor GB does not require AV or AMM status but you will need to obtain AV or AMM status if you wish to do future GBs on Mazda Forums...To apply, please proceed here:

VENDOR Application Forms

Thank you for your understanding and cooperation, Dave!

Definitely keep us updated on this GB...Whatever happened to the Down Pipe/Front Pipe one you mentioned a while ago..?

I just saw this... I'm in :) But let me know about the time as I was going to retro fit the RX8 rotor and FD caliper..

Question...

What type of pad would this take? Any cross reference to a readily available cars in USA?

Or If I needed pads later do I have to buy it through you?? How about rotors??

Where are they made....?

Like everything these days.... Made in China

Will they fit my wheels....?

These 330mm kits fit 17" wheels (apparently) so 18" should be easy.

What type of pads do they take.

Here is a list.........

Available Materials
AP ZC
Ferodo 3432F
Ferodo 4003F
Ferodo DS2500
Ferodo DS3000
Ferodo DS3000+03
Ferodo DS3000E
Pagid RS14B
Pagid RS42
Pagid RS421
Pagid RS44
Mintex F1R
Mintex F4R

I'll be doing the order in NOV-09 & there will be a "cover-my-bum" clause to sort the serious from the maybe's

REgards

REgards

I'm also assuming this will be only front kit?? Would you also address the issue of brake bias (maybe sell it also with a kit?).

I'm serious pending price shipped to USA.

G'day from DMRH

Time to place the order & "fear" has crept into this deal. Saving for a home-loan deposit for a new premises means I cant afford to get this wrong. Meaning if I get all these kits & a bolt hole is 10mm out of position etc or the calipers leak etc etc. All buyers will be on-my-back for a refund & I can't be sure the manufacturer will have the same "Good-will" I do.

What I am going to do is purchase a single set of brakes & suspension as the "sample" order & fit these to my personal Cosmo. I'll check the quality, fitment & performance myself.

This way, I'm taking the risk..............(thought)

If they appear satisfactory, then I'll do the order. I have enough interested parties (I hope) to ensure I get past the US$10,000 minimum order.

I'm placing the sample order now & will report on all progress.

REgards

Last edited:
G'day from DMRH

Time to place the order & "fear" has crept into this deal. Saving for a home-loan deposit for a new premises means I cant afford to get this wrong. Meaning if I get all these kits & a bolt hole is 10mm out of position etc or the calipers leak etc etc. All buyers will be on-my-back for a refund & I can't be sure the manufacturer will have the same "Good-will" I do.

What I am going to do is purchase a single set of brakes & suspension as the "sample" order & fit these to my personal Cosmo. I'll check the quality, fitment & performance myself.

This way, I'm taking the risk..............(thought)

If they appear satisfactory, then I'll do the order. I have enough interested parties (I hope) to ensure I get past the US$10,000 minimum order.

I'm placing the sample order now & will report on all progress.

REgards

I applaud your bravery. Let us know as soon as they are in and fitted. We still have the opportunity to retro-fit RX7 stoppers if this doesn't work out, but a custom setup is the way to go in my books.

Thanks again!

Ideally, If there is a bigger rotors for the back to balance the huge fronts would be perfect.. But I wouldn't mind getting this and get a another kit to adjust the bias..

Dave, Any plans for the rears?

Wow. US$280 to ship a suspension + brake kit to Sydney. Hope customs duty doesn't hurt too hard when that gets added on-to the total cost.

This mob don't do rear brake kits (l think) so at this stage it's fronts only. If there are any Fr/Rr bias issues then l will find & fit a Proportioning valve. A SYD guy had trouble with his 13B-REW version after an RX-7 front brake conversion but there may be a difference between the ABS & regular braking systems that seperate the 13B-REW & 20B-REW versions.

Something (in addition) to report on

REgards

hi Dave,

One thing that popped in my head is: I know some of the FD owners who go 6 piston calipers have to go larger brake mc b/c you are now moving more fluid through your calipers. They do this because the pedal now travels much farther. I haven't really looked at the Cosmo set up so I can't really comment (im in the middle of cleaning out my garage so I can't start a new project).

Either way, I can't wait to see it and thanks for doing this!

This also depends on the pistion size. Judging off the pic (if its the right one) they look to be 6 fairly small pistions. so the fluid flow wouldnt be as demanding as thought, in cantrast to std massive single piston, or the fd 4 medium sized pistons. But fliud top up as the pads decline would be more critical in the 6s as there is more piston surface area.

Dave have do u have any specs on the calipers?

if there are bias issues, then a simple bias valve should fis this and help with the pedal feel at the same time.
If pedal travel is still too great then maybe a master upgrade will also be required... never heard of this on a cosmo so no idea what might bolt up.

Can masters be modded or pedal travel adjusted?

You know, I never looked at my MC on the cosmo... I'm about to do an 929 MC swap on my FD. It suppose to make the pedal feel more firm and less travel. I'll have to check my Cosmo MC and see if it will work or not.

Rodneoo, didn't you have RZ FD calipers with RX8 rotors? How did that feel regarding pedal travel?

You know, I never looked at my MC on the cosmo... I'm about to do an 929 MC swap on my FD. It suppose to make the pedal feel more firm and less travel. I'll have to check my Cosmo MC and see if it will work or not.

Rodneoo, didn't you have RZ FD calipers with RX8 rotors? How did that feel regarding pedal travel?

Yep i had the normal s6 calipers with rx8 rotors.
Pedal feel wasnt too bad, slightly more travel and sponge. but i would of left it as is. i just didnt get around to fitting the bias valve.

Sample order expected to arrive after 01-DEC as posted by supplier.

Will post pics once they arrive plus pics of the install into the WAR-20B Cosmo.

REgards

DHL tracking details of sample order.................

Sunday, 06-Dec, 2009 Time
Location, Departed Facility in Sydney - Australia
07:39 Sydney - Australia

Piece 1:JD01204156046009 Piece 2:JD01204156046009

Processed at Sydney - Australia07:39 Sydney - Australia

Piece 1:JD01204156046009 Piece 2:JD01204156046009

Saturday, 05-Dec, 2009 Processed at Sydney - Australia
09:25 Sydney - Australia

Better tell the wife to expect a knock at the door on MON............(cool)

Back