CORKSPORT Short Ram Intake

kyydaws

:
2014 Mazda CX-5 AWD
My apologies if this has already been done and since I am a new member I'm not sure if i'm rehashing something from before....

I have a 2014 Mazda CX-5 and I was thinking of adding a short ram intake, like the one from corksport. Anyone have suggestions for this? Or does anyone know if this will void any warranty with Mazda, if installed prior to the warranties end date?

http://www.corksport.com/corksport-cx-5-skyactiv-power-series-short-ram-intake.html

Thanks!

In my opinion, if you get better flow at the intake, then you should do the same thing with the exhaust.

It will not void your warranty in general. However, it may void the warranty on a specific part that can be linked to damage caused from having a different intake. Like if debris damaged your maf. Highly unlikely but just an example. If you are looking to hear more of the motor, racing beat or cocksport exhaust will unmuffle more. It will add about 10 deg f of ambient temp on average until you are moving, I don't know if it gets really hot in your area, im sure it doesn't get texas hot; most likely nothing that will make a noticeable effect on your motor. It's more for aesthetics (motor sound/feel), technically you can get a little from it, basically you gain up at high rpm lose at low rpm. It's really negligible though to be honest, and you have the 2.5 which seems to be suing the same intake as the 2.0 (probably explains the 2.5 having a higher claimed power gain). As with any mod, have the correct expectations and you will be satisfied, I am with mine and so are many others (mazda 3 owners with SA that use it as well mainly).

Last edited:
It won't add any benefit. It will probably run better with the stock cold air intake since the engine tuning is optimized for it (not to mention the stock intake is located in an area of cold high pressure air when moving).

It won't add any benefit. It will probably run better with the stock cold air intake since the engine tuning is optimized for it (not to mention the stock intake is located in an area of cold high pressure air when moving).

I agree.

It will not void your warranty in general. However, it may void the warranty on a specific part that can be linked to damage caused from having a different intake. Like if debris damaged your maf. Highly unlikely but just an example. If you are looking to hear more of the motor, racing beat or cocksport exhaust will unmuffle more. It will add about 10 deg f of ambient temp on average until you are moving, I don't know if it gets really hot in your area, im sure it doesn't get texas hot; most likely nothing that will make a noticeable effect on your motor. It's more for aesthetics (motor sound/feel), technically you can get a little from it, basically you gain up at high rpm lose at low rpm. It's really negligible though to be honest, and you have the 2.5 which seems to be suing the same intake as the 2.0 (probably explains the 2.5 having a higher claimed power gain). As with any mod, have the correct expectations and you will be satisfied, I am with mine and so are many others (mazda 3 owners with SA that use it as well mainly).

Thanks! It would be more for sound and feel then anything as I do realize it gives little to no noticeable gain in power. Funny story but I have actually owned both the 2.0 and 2.5 (current) and the 2.5 has a fairly noticeable increase in power.

to clarify, I'm referring to the corksport SRI on the 2.5 engine when I mention the power gain vs the 2.0. Many at the mazda3 forum purchased the JBR Sri and liked it as well. Som of the users over there are making a big deal because the JBR intake has a better air splitter design (a useless air splitter). I removed the splitter from my intake because it is useless and poorly implemented. Just comes down to personal preference/price/and looks I guess.

I just got mine a few weeks ago, and the butt dyno feels good. You may not see noticeable peak gains but I do notice a bit of difference throughout the entire powerband, I need less throttle to get up to speed than I did before. Also it sounds awesome. Just saving for the exhaust now.

I just got mine a few weeks ago, and the butt dyno feels good. You may not see noticeable peak gains but I do notice a bit of difference throughout the entire powerband, I need less throttle to get up to speed than I did before. Also it sounds awesome. Just saving for the exhaust now.

Yeah, it's amazing how a louder intake noise or exhaust note will fool the driver into thinking they are going faster.

Aftermarket Intake/filter = No HP increase, slight tone difference.
Aftermarket Exhaust = No HP increase, noise maker.
Dyno those 2 and prove what most people know as fact.

Mazda Speed emblem = No HP increase, no noise and only $15. ��

Aftermarket Intake/filter = No HP increase, slight tone difference.
Aftermarket Exhaust = No HP increase, noise maker.
Dyno those 2 and prove what most people know as fact.

Mazda Speed emblem = No HP increase, no noise and only $15. ��
The fact is actually more that it varies by motor whether or not those types of mods will make an increase in power. It's not a blanket statement that covers every motor. On our motor, buyer experience and data has shown negligible gains (Personally anytime some says "butt dyno" I usually call it a negligible gain). "Noise" is certainly subjective. If I recalled correctly, and I may be wrong here, but internal combustion is a generally loud process. Manufacturers reduce this noise through piping, exhaust and intake design. Unless you added some means to amplify the sound above what the engine would make unmuffled, that statement is a bit off. I could see your argument if we were talking about an electric car with artificial engine noise, or noise resonating to make the car more audible to pedestrians.

The fact is actually more that it varies by motor whether or not those types of mods will make an increase in power. It's not a blanket statement that covers every motor. On our motor, buyer experience and data has shown negligible gains (Personally anytime some says "butt dyno" I usually call it a negligible gain). "Noise" is certainly subjective. If I recalled correctly, and I may be wrong here, but internal combustion is a generally loud process. Manufacturers reduce this noise through piping, exhaust and intake design. Unless you added some means to amplify the sound above what the engine would make unmuffled, that statement is a bit off. I could see your argument if we were talking about an electric car with artificial engine noise, or noise resonating to make the car more audible to pedestrians.

For a short time I had a 2012 RAM with Hemi, no exhaust or intake (except one, Vararam) would do anything performance-wise. Headers, throttle body, plus the previous yes. Then you are looking at big $.

Back