Corksport exhaust too loud....

I have a Corksport exhaust on my 05 MZ3 Sport and find it way too loud for everyday use. It really drones at highway speeds and I am tired of sounding like a ricer in city traffic. I have even lined the trunk with dynamat to try and cut down the drone, but it helped only slightly. Has anybody else felt the same way and found a solution? I am thinking of getting a 6" round muffler from Thermal R&D (the company that actually builds the exhausts for CS) and having it welded in right behind the flange to the manifold.

Anybody? Or am I the only adult that owns one of these things and stupidly modifies it? (thumb)

haha this is why i haven't purchased an exhaust for my car. i was into volkswagen for years. and after having a side exit on a vr6 i don't really feel with like putting up with the noise on a daily basis

I wish Tanabe made an exhaust for our cars. I used to have one on one of my old Integras and it sounded incredible, and at steady cruise of 120-130 it was as quiet as stock, and only hard acceleration was it louder than stock.

I am thinking of maybe picking up a 5Zigen exhaust instead of modifying the Corksport. The 5Zigen has a 93 dB rating (JASMA certified street legal in Japan) so should not be much louder than stock. It is pricey though.

When it comes to exhaust, you have three choices; affordable, quiet or good performance, pick two.

Last edited:
what size is the tip? there are some supposedly decent pieces that are spring loaded and mate up to your exhaust tip, makes it queit under normal driving but at higher exhaust velocities (more throttle) its supposed to open up completely. i believe apexi makes one and the info on it said it actually improved power the test car. i keep meaning to look into it more as my thunder header and draxas exhuast (i do have 1 high flow cat) drones pretty bad at anything over 65. but sounds so nice down and low...

http://www.apexi-usa.com/product_exhaust.asp

they offer 2 designs both are for 90 or 115mm tips... not sure on what the corksport is or if it will fit the cs design but another companies might?

Last edited:
Unfortunately, it is way too big for the CS exhaust. The CS also has a baffled tip so the exhaust would end up just going around the silencer.

do'h.... maybe something like that made by another manufacturer? or as you said maybe a new cat back all together.

Well, I have decided to finally get off my ass and do something about this.

I decided to order a catalytic converter to replace the removed cat. This should have three benefits, first, make the exhaust street legal again, reduce the amount of noise, and make the exhaust cleaner. (I am also a closet enviromentalist)

I did a lot of searching and it looks like Magnaflow makes some really good cats, and I ordered one of their 46 series cats which is actually California OBDII compliant, and have a 5 year warranty on both the body and the performance of the unit. Appear to be one of the best I could find. Kinda pricey at $250 US from Summit Racing, but quality costs.

It is 2.5" inlet/outlet.

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=MPE-46006&N=700+115&autoview=sku

The funny part is that the car will probably be cleaner with this new cat that it was with the OEM cat.

Will see how it goes after I get it installed. I may even get dyno plots before/after to see if it has any effect on performance. I have a feeling it will make very little difference other than to my sanity.

I may also do before and after emission tests to see what kind of difference adding this second cat makes to the environment.

Last edited:
Back