Corksport cat-back installed and operating

elfhearse

:
11 MX5 SE Dolphin Grey
Received my catback today..survived the UPS trip to the East coast with only a few holes in the box.

Easy install (except for the small issue with the midpipe flange to header hardware)
Corksport's instructions are exceptional for an aftermarket vendor.

Initial Overall Impressions: beefy stainless steel construction....approx. same weight as OEM (?)
Nice deep mellow purr....no buzzing...and no annoying drone at Interstate speeds...deep ERRRRRR sound.
Definite improvement to acceleration above 3500K and easy scream up to 80+MPH. Slight power loss detected when pulling away from stop in 500 to 2000 RPM range...which is typical of a free(er) flowing exhaust.

When decelerating from high rpm, it does have a bit of a "boom" to it.

A few install shots:
OEM and Corksport
232323232%7Ffp733%3B8%3Enu%3D4789%3E872%3E253%3EWSNRCG%3D337%3B9%3B7%3A8%3A344nu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp7339%3B%3Enu%3D4789%3E872%3E253%3EWSNRCG%3D337%3B9%3B7%3A8%3B344nu0mrj

AND...a rather bland video of the exhaust at idle with a few wimpy revs from my wife who was not interested in assisting with the filming effort.

Last edited:
Is that a catalyst or a resonation chamber toward the front? Looks like a quality piece, but I haven't dissected the exhaust system yet to find out which parts are where in the exhaust stream.

Can't wait to start taking mine apart!

Is that a catalyst or a resonation chamber toward the front
The OEM midpipe has a resonator and UNmonitored catalyst, the Corksport has a resonator only (with option for high flow catalyst in the midpipe for ~$200ish)

Looks like a real quality piece. Sounds great too. I know you said the oopmh is missing at take off, but overall would you say the throttle response has improved?

throttle response has improved?
Definite throttle response improvement....SRI added some, exhaust, even more.
he he...thanks, e91 - 328iT 6spd M Sport package, couldn't pass up the Military Sales deal when I was in Iraq. Nice P5 too

No plans on a dyno run....I think Corksport has some numbers (at least they did for the SRI)

Last edited:
Sounds very tame, I think they did a good job with the audible tone. When you get it broke in, lets here some higher rev's and driving ;)

Now, did you start it without the exhaust hooked up at all, don't lie! We've all been there! lol. I just want to hear how one sounds completely unrestricted, that way we have a general idea of how it's going to sound with less restrictions.

how big was the box they sent it in.
It was approx. 60" long x 12" x 12"....I already put it in the recycling bin. The exhaust ships in two pieces. Muffler hanger brackets punched about 4 holes in the cardboard, but no dents.

ok...stuck my little camera on an old tripod and bungee'd it on my passenger seat to get this short in car "low" speed cruise complete with annoying background camera chatter. It now has about 400 miles on it and is starting to break-in....maybe another vid in a few weeks if I can get a humanoid to hold the camera next time.

It might be a few more minutes, youtube is really slow today with processing videos

I can't believe how good that sounds, my girlfriend thought I was listening to Subaru vids until she saw it was a video of your shop car with your ehaust. I think that may have sold her on it ;). BTW how does it sound on the highway at 75-80? These cars have kind of short gears so my girlfriend is a bit concerned about drone. She has a long highway commute so just want to make sure it doesn't get annoying.

Do you guys (Corksport) ever plan on offering any kind of a ecu flash to go along with the muffler and intake? I came from Subaru world and I know that just slapping parts on most modern cars doesn't really yield much until you flash the car for the mods.

Back