Cop Radars?!?!

TheMazdaTech

:
11 MazdaSpeed3
So what do you guys think about cop radars? Good, bad, useless? Is it even worth getting one? In my opinion yes and no yes itll save your ass sometimes but not because as soon as that radarguns on you your done :)

It helps in dense traffic. If your the only guy out there, your done for. I was a cop for eight years. Tons of precincts use Lidar (Laser Radar) and while moving use Radar. I got one and spent some good money on it as well. Just like I said before, only helps in dense traffic.

Is it true the officer has to be certified to use the laser radar and Doppler guns? And doesn't the gun have to be calibrated within a year of when they catch you with the ticket? These are urban myths I always wondered about

If you can see them, theyve already been looking at you

its like pregnancy and std prevention. If you dont want either, dont screw. If you dont want a ticket, dont speed

Is it true the officer has to be certified to use the laser radar and Doppler guns? And doesn't the gun have to be calibrated within a year of when they catch you with the ticket? These are urban myths I always wondered about

The officer does have to be certified. I know in the state of CA yes for sure. Every day as well the lidar/doppler guns are tested. They go through recerts as well I do know, how often is what I dont know. I can find out for you for sure if you really wanna know. Then you go into officer discretion...And thats a whole other story. An officer can pretty much pull you over if it looks like you are speeding or driving unsafe for the current conditions. Called Speeds greater than prudent. Now its hard for the officer to actually pin you with the fines. But a lot of people do pay it and dont fight those.

I figure it's better to have it than to not have it. They're not that expensive that you'd be wasting a ton of money. But if you're driving 100 mph, don't think your radar detector is going to be your ticket to freedom.

It's not a "cop radar." It doesn't detect LEOs in real time in your surroundings. It's a radar detector. It detects signal from speed radars (speed traps, warning signs that display your speed, etc.) and other equipment that emit similar signals.
I have a $160 Whistler detector that I bought on sale for $85. It saved my at least 4 or 5 times in the past year. Definitely worth the money. I might spurge for V1 but not very soon.

Back