Coolest Autocross Ever - Double Cross Challenge

BigB

:
2001 Mazda MP3 #60
The coolest AutoX ever = DOUBLE CROSS CHALLENGE!

Atlanta Region is hosting a 2 day event called the Double Cross Challenge. It is the coolest concept to be applied to autocross in decades. It combines all of the best elements of autocross, drag racing, mirrorkhana, and Pro Solo.

It is heads-up racing at the same time on the same track. What keeps it safe is that, while you are on the same track as your competitor, you enter the course 180* apart from them. Unlike Pro Solo, where identical courses are attempted but never really happen, Double Cross has both competitors fighting it out on the same course at the same time. Cars are started with a drag tree that can accomodate setbacks so that cars from different classes can go at it against each other. Like bracket racing, the first one to the finish line wins. Don't be too anxious on the tree though - a red light automatically gives the win to your opponent!

The event will include Saturday practice and qualifying, followed by a warm up and double elimination tournement on Sunday. We will have paid workers so you will not have to work during your off time, and don't make plans for Saturday night, as Atlanta Region will be hosting a party that will include all of the best grilled fixins and we're looking to spice it up with some live music as well!

You will be fighting it out for your part of a purse that includes thousands of dollars and prizes that range from safety equipment to tires. But even if you don't make it into the prize positions, you are guaranteed to leave the event knowing that you have seen the future of autocross.

Don't think about it too long though - registration is limited to 128 drivers in the open bracket, plus a ladies challenge and kids challenge that can accomodate 32 folks each.

For more info and to register, go to http://www.doublexchallenge.com/

challengefinal3.gif

that sounds like fun. Philly region has done that before, but without the Pro Solo-type drag start. rather than a set-back, PAX times determined each winner. double elimination...it was a blast.

Something like that I think. I remember HEyward Wagner saying how cool these are. But alas I am saving money to go to the Topeka Divisional :)

While it sounds like a lot of fun between the driving I just did for Peru, IN and Devens, MA I don't think I want to make another 10 hour drive for this right now. I have to save up my driving time for Topeka, KS for this fall and maybe the NEDIV event in later july.

with close to $3k in prize money and prizes it may well be worth your while to drive down...

khaosman said:
Damn that sounds cool. I want to see some pictures and videos of this!

If you go to the website there is a short flash animation to give you an idea of what it is like

Prizes have been posted:

AWARDS AND PRIZES
(Cash prize values reflect sold out event)

Subaru of Gwinnett Open Challenge Qualifying
Top Qualifier $200
2nd $175
3rd $150
4th $125
5th $100
6th-10th $75
11th-15th $50
16th-20th $25

Pittman Performance Ladies Challenge Qualifying
Top Qualifier- $150 Pittman Performance Voucher
2nd- $100 Pittman Performance Voucher
3rd- $50 Pittman Performance Voucher

Kumho Tires Open Challenge
Winner- $200 + Set of 4 Kumho Tires
2nd- $150 + Pair of Kumho Tires
3rd- $125 + Single Kumho Tire
4th- $100 + Single Kumho Tire
5th-8th $100
9th-16th $50

Pittman Performance Ladies Challenge
Top Prize- $150 Pittman Performance Voucher
2nd- $100 Pittman Performance Voucher
3rd- $50 Pittman Performance Voucher

Discovery Parts Junior Karts Challenge
Top Prize- $150 Discovery Parts Voucher
2nd- $75 Discovery Parts Voucher
3rd- $50 Discovery Parts Voucher

Evolution Hard-Luck Award (Drawing from drivers losing their first two races, excluding Jr. Karts)
- 2 Evolution Performance Driving Schools

Last year's Atlanta Region Mirrorkhana series was a blast.

This event is going to be 10 times better. If you're an SCCA member, I seriously recommend attending.

Congrats to Steve Rankins. Now I have to listen to him remind me that he won for the rest of the year.

xelderx said:
Congrats to Steve Rankins. Now I have to listen to him remind me that he won for the rest of the year.

I certainly hope you will be bringing the Protege to next years XX.

Some great pictures there, that seems like a really cool event. I'd love to go to one and compete, or at least see some videos.

Back