Conspiracy Theory: Mazda using GT-R as benchmark for next RX car

Hey everyone.

This is my first post here and I wanted to start off with a story I think you all might be interested in.

Recently I was invited to Mazda USA R&D in Irvine, CA for a press event about their motorsports ladder. After the event all of us were taken down into the unofficial "Mazda Museum" in the building's parking garage. Down there were various historical Mazda race cars, one-off show cars, concepts, classic cars, etc.

There was also two cars that stood out: A Lotus Elise and a late model BMW 3 series sedan. I was told by a Mazda associate that they have those cars because Mazda likes to use competitor cars in a higher price class as benchmarks for their own cars. So, the Lotus was used as a bench mark for the Miata and the 3 series was a benchmark for the Mazda6 sedan. Interesting stuff really.

When the event was over I went out into the above ground parking lot and off to the side I saw a large car under a cover. Under closer inspection it was easy to see that the car under the cover was a Nissan GT-R.

Thinking back to what I was told earlier about the Lotus and the BMW, things started to click. Is the GT-R being used as a benchmark for the next Mazda sports car?

You can see the spyshots I took and the story here: http://www.motorworldhype.com/2012-...ssan-gt-r-at-their-rd-building-spyshots-andy/

What do you guys think? Is a GT-R killing rotary-powered monster in Mazda's future?

Interesting theory and thanks for sharing...I sure hope so...Mazda needs to set a new Performance / Bang for the Buck benchmark to be taken seriously by performance enthusiasts! The next Rotary-Powered Mazda can't just be a well balanced package, it has got to be ground-breaking and irresistible!

That sounds awesome! If Mazda could come up with a bargain, sub 4-second 0-60 car and offer it with a manual, I'd be pumped!

Back