Considering bying a used 2002-2003 Protege5

shadowncs

:
P5, 2002 full stock
Hi guys,
I am considering buying a Protege5. I love the car's specs and that it's a hatchback. It looks to me as a pretty decent car for both highway and city driving.
Now, I am turning to you for some guidance and advice:
- how reliable is the car overall?
- any common pains like blown headgasket and such?
- what to particularly check when inspecting the car?
- what would be a right price range for a 2002 Protege5 with let's say automatic transmission, 100.000km onboard and ABS (/anti-skid)?

I live in Toronto and this would be my first car in Canada, so I also wonder whether this car is cheap to insure.

Thanks in advance, looking forward to your answers!

for 2002 auto with that kms on that clock, around $7000-$8000 is the reasonable price for it in the canadian market.

Car is reliable...only bad things is the low beam light bulbs always burn out~!

<-- Bought an 03 P5 This summer

Hey

I picked up an black 03 P5 this summer that had some decent mods done to it Sound proofing, Pioneer deck, engine mount, custom tint, Momo short shifter, Hankook Ventus tires, sunroof with 115000k's on it for $9400 from a guy in Markham. It was an excellent deal and I'm really happy with the car.

Make sure you get the CAA inspection done though. It made for an excellent bargaining chip when you're discussing price.

For trouble spots I would look for rust on the back rear quarters, especially around the gas tank, make sure you look carefully at that.

You will not be disappointed with a P5

D3monix (drive)

I bought mine a year and a half ago payed $6995 got a 2 year warranty with it. It is an 03 and when i bought it there was 145,000km on it. The carfax report show no major work done to the car and the biggest job i had to do is replace a wheel bearing. There is rust starting on the rear quaters and on the roof. Also due to stone chips on the hood it is starting to rust out too. My rear wiper motor is shot.

If you are looking for a fast car keep looking but i've owned a lot of cars over the years and my p5 has to be the most enjoyable car to drive.

Thanks a lot guys, you just confirmed this is quite a reliable car - I love it already :D

I don't want a fast car, I want a reliable family car & fun to drive -- which fits like a glove.

D3monix - how can I get a CAA inspection? Sorry I'm pretty noob with canadian garages

Now I'm really busy preparing for G2 road test, will hopefully tour the dealers in a week or two once I'm through.

I have an '02 myself.
Love it...sucks that it's an auto though (I do h/e have the sport shifter thingee). Its a "peppy" car and gets the big things where they need to go. Plenty of aftermarket support & parts are easy and cheap to find.
I have the turbo'd miata for "spirited" driving.

So today I did it! Got a 02 P5, 100k. Minuses are a small tear on driver's door panel (needs some glue lol), read panels repainted & some ex-rust evidence there. On the plus side, no rust elsewhere (checked under the car, in the engine bay, door panels, hatch), clean non-smoking interior, decent not so rusty calipers and discs, accident free. Price $8500, all included.
That's it, I'll see how it goes, don't really have an opinion yet :)

Any pics of the car yet...and I must have been super lucky...I bought my 03 P5 with 42,000 miles in January with all new fluids/brakes/tires/extended warranty for only $8,300 from a dealer...

CONGRATS ON THE PURCHASE...

Any pics of the car yet...
Nope, didn't pick it up yet, but stay tuned. Just had my G2 road test today - passed!

and I must have been super lucky...I bought my 03 P5 with 42,000 miles in January with all new fluids/brakes/tires/extended warranty for only $8,300 from a dealer...
Not bad, not bad... I probably didn't know how to negociate that hard lol oh and also didn't wait too much, I bought it on the first day of shopping, I'm always in a hurry :)

CONGRATS ON THE PURCHASE...
Cheers, same to you!

I got a 2002 P5 about a year ago. I paid 9,995 for it with 74k on it and i havent had any major problems with it. Just worn disc brake pads and thats pretty much it. It runs amazingly in the snow [I live in utah] and ive never had any problems with sliding on ice or anything like that.
I do a lot of commuting and it's definitely done me well!

ok, I'm back with some pictures of the car - finally got around to taking a few shots, so here it goes
Untill now I'm happy with it, issues are
- passenger window button doesn't work
- a tear on driver's side arm rest
- air direction knob doesn't go to windshield position (bounces back to windshield & feet)
- exhaust sounds a little loud, like a humm on the highway - I have to look at the engine mounts and exhaust brackets, maybe something touches the body I don't know yet
- rear window wiper blade is 16'' and that's a bit too big and touches the spoiler, and when you think this was installed by the dealer lol
- front suspension squeaks when going over speed bumps at >10km/h
- dirty roof on the inside I think that's the hardest one to fix :(

That's it, on to the how-to section for me :) once again thanks everybody and your opinions are welcome!

Attachments

• IMG_1896_f.jpg
    IMG_1896_f.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_1897_f.jpg
    IMG_1897_f.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 142
Looks like a nice platform for you!
Window doesn't work?
-Check the connectors before you start pulling stuff apart.
WTF is the air direction knob? (i haven't been in my P5 for almost 2 years)
-are you talking about the defroster? Or...it could be the wire connector behind the knob is loose or getting caught...you may have to take the radio & a/c panel out to check that...there's a write-up on here.
Suspension
-Change it to Tein S-Tech springs.
Dirty roof? (headliner)
Soap + Water + Elbow grease = clean

BEST OF LUCK!!!

ok, I'm back with some pictures of the car - finally got around to taking a few shots, so here it goes
Untill now I'm happy with it, issues are
- passenger window button doesn't work
- a tear on driver's side arm rest
- air direction knob doesn't go to windshield position (bounces back to windshield & feet)
- exhaust sounds a little loud, like a humm on the highway - I have to look at the engine mounts and exhaust brackets, maybe something touches the body I don't know yet
- rear window wiper blade is 16'' and that's a bit too big and touches the spoiler, and when you think this was installed by the dealer lol
- front suspension squeaks when going over speed bumps at >10km/h
- dirty roof on the inside I think that's the hardest one to fix :(

That's it, on to the how-to section for me :) once again thanks everybody and your opinions are welcome!

If its just dirty it will vaccum off with little effort!(silly)

LOL...Dude I had to ad your list of How-To's...I actually saw some stuff that I NEED to do when i get back...lol!

For the climate knob check the drivers side up under around where the stereo is you'll see a cable that connects your controls to the actual "switch" the cable should be held in place by a clip. If the clip isn't there instead of the steel rod only moving through the sleeve the whole thing moves. I had the same thing happen only with the temp control and that's what the problem was. the clip was like $2 from mazda.

Back