Condensation on inside of the windshield?

doughboy52

Contributor
:
2013 CX-5 Touring FWD Sky Blue
Anyone else have any issues with condensation on the inside of the windshield? Or any idea what might cause it? It's not a regular problem - it's happened maybe 3 or 4 times since we bought our CX-5 in July - it just drives me nuts because it doesn't seem normal.

I know this will sound funny but are all the windows and doors closed properly? Sounds like you have a cabin leak OR more likely a rapid/significant temp difference inside and out.

Pretty sure everything was closed properly, and we haven't used the windows lately. When it happened last night, the car had been sitting in the sun all day without being driven and when we got in the car around 7 pm the temp had already gone down to 32 degrees after a high temp maybe near 50 (in Maryland). You may be on to something. I've just never had it happen on our other cars without a sunroof leak (and that's a whole different matter, because then the condensation isn't happening randomly but daily like I had happen on my Pontiac G6).

air recirculation ON or OFF? It should be like in this picture:

Sometimes (during rain), if I choose second option (closed air circulation) windows do get foggy/wet. So it should always be set to open air circulation (unless you have some crappy car in front of you :) )

Cheers,
Miki

You've been using A/C or one of the defrost settings (which runs the A/C without turning on the indicator light)? You will have condensation in the A/C which humidifies the whole car when stopped. I plan to "fix" mine so defrost does not force the A/C on, but first I need to figure out how...

If its warm on the outside and colder air with some humidity in it is on the inside than you'll get condensation on the inside. If its hot out and you first turn on the AC this can happen too until the AC dries out the air.

Yes, AC in various modes is very effective in clearing condensation inside.

Keep in mind that the condenser antifreeze switch will not engage the AC Compressor below about 35 degrees F. If it is cold outside you need to have cold air coming in and warming up so it will absorb moisture. Setting re-circulate on in the cold is not good to remove moisture as as it limits outside cold dry air. If it is hot out the AC Compressor will condense moisture and it will drain out the bottom of the car. In this case using re-circulate will keep the air that the AC has cooled and dehumidified in the car and is the best and fastest way to dry out and cool the car rather than bringing in hot moist air from outside.

Pretty sure everything was closed properly, and we haven't used the windows lately. When it happened last night, the car had been sitting in the sun all day without being driven and when we got in the car around 7 pm the temp had already gone down to 32 degrees after a high temp maybe near 50 (in Maryland). You may be on to something. I've just never had it happen on our other cars without a sunroof leak (and that's a whole different matter, because then the condensation isn't happening randomly but daily like I had happen on my Pontiac G6).

What you described are the perfect conditions for condensation. The CX-5 has really good seals and if it was sitting in the sun all day, it would have built up a good amount of heat inside. When the temps outside cooled to around 32 degrees F, the cold window surface went below the dewpoint for the warm air inside.

You'll notice the same thing on a glass of ice water (cold surface below dewpoint for room) or maybe on your home's window on a cold night (assuming your furnace hasn't dried out the air to lower the dewpoint to lower than the window surface temp.

Lots of good thoughts, guys. Thanks!

I can't remember if recirc was on or not. My wife may have driven it last, so I really can't remember. Makes sense, though, that if the seals are good on the car then the quick temp drop would cause the condensation, especially if it had been on recirc and set to the defroster. I'm comfortably reassured after seeing everyone's responses. Just wanted to throw it out there since it happened a few times but never happened once on my G6 or my wife's RSX.

If it's only happening once every couple of months then that's fine - I know them that it's just one of those ideal conditions type of things. Thanks again!

Back