Compressor Mod interest...???

sen2two

I came up with a way to modify the stock, aftermarket, or pretty much any compressor housing out there. Im seeing if anyone is intersted in having this done. If so, I would like to start a list of who's interested. I would need at least 10 people for this to be worth it. Right now the pricing should be around $130-$150, that's including the return shipping.

(I still need to sign up to be a vendor, will do ASAP)

What i do is take the stock (or aftermarket) compressor housing on pretty much any size/type of turbo and increase its air flow capabilities. I do this by adding as much taper as possible to increase the velocity action of the housing. Not only does the taper greatly increase the turbos capabilities, but the inlet itself is opened up for a larger intake area. I smooth all edges to let air flow as smooth as possible. The entrance edges are also narrowed as much as possible without hindering there strength. This give the air flowing through your intake less turbulance when entering the turbo. The inlet is also polished to a smooth finish to finish off this nice upgrade. and it looks cool!!!

Talk is cheap....

Holsett HX40 before (with anti surge housing)

HX40stock.jpg

HX40stockb.jpg

and after:

HX40KTECb.jpg

HX40KTEC.jpg

GT28 before (from fatti03MSP)

GT28stockb.jpg

GT28stock.jpg

and after:

KTECmodifiedGT28b.jpg

KTECmodifiedGT28.jpg

Last edited:
Turbo should be going back on my car in about 2 weeks. Ill let you guys know how much better it spools up.

Taken sorta a lot of material from the id of the walls. Looks to thin on the outside ID. Be scared someone put down monkey strength and crack it or deform it. lol

you say that tapering the inlet will increase the flow, but by how much? how much will the cfms increase by doing this. now i'm not dogging your work by any means, because it is very nice work, but i would really like to know how beneficial it would be to do this kind of "port" work to a turbo?

No i do not have flow numbers. But its similar to putting on an intake, porting a TB/intake manifold, ect... How much it help's, Im not sure. But i've done it enough to know that it does make a difference. Much more then porting a TB and manifold.

Flow testing these is almost impossible. I use general knowledge i have gained over the years working with MANY turbo cars to get every little bit out of stock and aftermarket parts...

I honstley do not see a gain on this size of turbo. Maybe from polishing the inlet but thats about it. Just not enough material there to open it much. Also hopefully when you chuck on paid ones i hope your putting something on those chuck jaws to keep it from digging into the housing.

Last edited:
like it was mentioned its just like porting out an the intake mani. When a PnP intake mani goes up for sale do you see ppl posting up cfm numbers..... no. Its just simple knowledge that you know that opening up a hole, adding some taper to increase velocity and polishing the sides to have the air move as smoothly as possible will increase performance.

Not everything comes with numbers, also dont be afraid of something new too.

A new idea comes up on the forum and all you guys do is bash.... no wonder y we never see anything new for the MSP.

i wasn't bashing the man, i was just wondering if doing this kind of port work actually added some power. i know that porting the outlet and what not will increase the air flow. i just didnt know if porting and tapering the inlet would do the same thing.

This mod will increase turbo performance. Hands down a good mod for any turbo. Like I said earlier all I need now is a turbo... Mad props, I can tell it is quality work.

its kind of a tough call as to how much it would help... im sure it would definitely decrease spool-up time since theres less "backward" resistance as the air is drawn in, but in terms of providing higher HP overall, i kind of doubt it. the velocity and turbulence properties of the airstream going into a turbo wont matter as soon as it gets compressed and the air temp raised by like 200 degrees and blasted into the TB.

doing a PNP on an intake mani or TB or head matters on a N/A car since the material roughness is providing that "backward" resistance to vacuum, and it matters on a turbo car since its providing "forward" resistance to the forced/compressed flow. but to me, this is like putting a CAI on a turbo car, it improves the condition before the turbo, but as soon as it goes through the compressor wheel, it barely matters.

so yes, performance gain because of decreased spool-up time, but that cover 90% of it.

to me decreased spool up is a big gain in my book. Its not all about HP numbers. If my turbo will be fully spooled up 500-1000rpms earlier then that is just as good as a 10-15hp gain.

a 200whp FSDE could beat a 220whp honda simply because its power threw the whole powerband is greater. A honda doesnt really makes its HP till the very end of the rpm range. so ya it makes more hp but its only for a lil bit.

^ to go with what your saying. Professional cars do not tune for peak power. They tune for an average HP throughout the powerband. Peak HP is nothing but a number to post on the internet.

I once ported a TB. The actual HP gain was minimal, maybe 7-8whp. But the car made 100whp more 1000rpm earlier. If that's not a gain i don't know what is...

Back