Competition from the Dodge Journey

It is an SUV (to me, let me clarify before we get into another classification dilemma ;), that is a no-no, but not bad stuff.

Maybe more of a Rondo competitor? The only good thing is: If Rondo comes with the SX and this one with the R/T chances of a MazdaSPEED5 are more likely (like 2.13428%). Downside, I have no money for a MazdaSPEED5, and wife will laugh if I wanna trade :D

I think it's more of a Rondo/Toyota Venza competitor, but the 5 is lumped right in there. The thing with Dodge is that they will have 4cyl versions that are extremely cheap and cheap sells to those who don't do a lot of research.

On a side note, coolmazda5, do you really need ANOTHER 5? I mean sure a MZ5speed would be fast, but you already have 2! It's too bad that the 2.5 V6 from the old Millenia went away. I would think a small displacement V6, esp a narrow angle like VW would work well in the 5. But then again, I also know you are like me and probably wouldn't pay the premium for a 5speed or V6. Let's face it, the basic 5 is quite well equipped for around $18,000.

On a side note, coolmazda5, do you really need ANOTHER 5? I mean sure a MZ5speed would be fast, but you already have 2! It's too bad that the 2.5 V6 from the old Millenia went away. I would think a small displacement V6, esp a narrow angle like VW would work well in the 5. But then again, I also know you are like me and probably wouldn't pay the premium for a 5speed or V6. Let's face it, the basic 5 is quite well equipped for around $18,000.

Yes, I like the MZ5 so much that I will buy a 3rd one for when my little troublemaker can drive (lol2).

LOL, no, I thought of trading my 06 in, but I think wife will nicely say R U friggin' kidding me?? even if its a MazdaSpeed one (and I think she would not care less on what trim is it).

But that is true, I have 2 Sports and for what I paid I'm quite satisfied with the price-equipment balance. For the other cars I like my wallet would only allow me to buy one, not 2 :D

It actually kind of reminds me of a mini-Pacifica.

DG009_025JN__mid.jpg

pacifica07.jpg

The Journey is bigger & heavier, as it's the replacement for the short wheelbase Caravan. It's 192" long x 72.2" wide x 66" tall, vs Mz5's 181.5" x 69.1" x 64"). The base SE's 175hp has to pull 3800lbs and fuel economy suffers as a result: EPA 19/25 (Mz5 5AT 3475lbs, EPA 21/27)

The base SE doesn't include cruise control, aluminum wheels, cabin air filter, floor mats, and adding those two option packages w/roof rack and cargo cover push the price up to $21,875.

I've test driven the Journey. It's not really a competitor for the Mazda5 for anyone who cares about handling. It feels quite a bit larger and heavier, without offering more interior space. Steering is totally numb.

The Kia is a closer competitor, but also doesn't handle as well. I'd like to have the Kia's seating and driving position (and maybe its V6) in the Mazda.

I saw one of these in the car park a couple days ago and I must admit that it is a good looking vehicle.
Based on exterior appearance alone it would be a hit with those folks not wanting the full-sized Caravan.
On paper it also seems like decent value for money.
I'm sure it will be a hot seller and will only heighten public awareness to this class of vehicle.

Anthony

I saw one of these in the car park a couple days ago and I must admit that it is a good looking vehicle.
Based on exterior appearance alone it would be a hit with those folks not wanting the full-sized Caravan.
On paper it also seems like decent value for money.
I'm sure it will be a hot seller and will only heighten public awareness to this class of vehicle.

Anthony

Cool, so it is around now. Do you recall what trim was it? That is one of the things I see compared to the Mazda5: how different they look depending of the trim (note, these are US numbers, apologies I don't have the Canadian specs, numbers). I'm assuming the SE will not look very nice with small-er wheels or low trim features

* Dodge Journey SE — $19,985
* Dodge Journey SXT — $22,985
* Dodge Journey SXT AWD — $25,530 (includes 19-inch aluminum wheels and tires, fog lamps, performance suspension)
* Dodge Journey R/T — $26,545
* Dodge Journey R/T AWD — $28,295

Thread revival here, but I just rented a Dodge Avenger the other day. Decent engine power and features but handling and finish are horrible (and please note that I own Plasticky Mazda5 Sports). If the Journey shares the same platform as the Avenger, then it is a no-go for me...

Thread revival here, but I just rented a Dodge Avenger the other day. Decent engine power and features but handling and finish are horrible (and please note that I own Plasticky Mazda5 Sports). If the Journey shares the same platform as the Avenger, then it is a no-go for me...

It is on the same platform and built in the same factory. We looked at one at the Detroit Auto Show and walked away thinking "This is the best that Chrysler can come up with? They are in BIG trouble!!"

I rented an Avenger too, and was thoroughly unimpressed also. It was the source of comic relief for my wife and I, as we kept on running into mishaps that we blamed on some not-quite-ready-for-market aspect of the Avenger. Arrgh! :)

We looked at SXT AWD as a possible replacement for our 2000 CRV. I was not impressed by it.

The dash looked like crap...almost like the design shop realized at the last minute that they forgot to put gauges on it and just drop a gauge cluster on top of the dash. I wasn't impressed by the quality of the materials or some the parts used. The rear door latch mechanism looked like cheap parts from China...

I think we're gonna end up with another CR-V or a 09 Forester XT (if I can talk the wife into it)

I've driven one and its garbage...and...technically speaking, its competitors are more like Buick Enclave, CX-9, Arcadia, Outlook, maybe the new Ford Flex. This Dodge is much bigger than the 5 or Rondo. For Dodge to pick these as competitors is like a big kid picking on a kid half his size.

The best comparator would be the Taurus X - which is perhaps half a class larger (D rather than C/D) but gets 18/24 mpg (FWD) and is definitely better in fit and finish. The Taurus -X is our second car and sits 6 or 7 depending on which second row seat you get.

The powertrain on the T-X is fantastic - Duratec 35 with 6 speed tranny. 263 HP, /249 ft-lb@ 4500 rpm

Back