Comcast hi-speed internet is junk? Verizon DSL rocks?

blynzoo

Contributor
:
'02 Red P5...BUT AS OF 1/31/08 an '08 Silver SPEED3!!!
Hey all. I have heard some bad things about Comcast's cable internet offering. It's $57 for non-cable customers in DC, and I can get DSL for $30 on top of my phone line. Thing is, company will pay for whatever connection I choose to get. This makes me lean towards cable, because then I could drop my land line.

But if comcast is crap, Im not going. Verizon DSL I have heard nothing but good things about.

Any input you could share would be great, for the benefit of all those forum-ees on here who use or choose the services.
THanks!!!!!!(burn)(burn)

blynzoo said:
Hey all. I have heard some bad things about Comcast's cable internet offering. It's $57 for non-cable customers in DC, and I can get DSL for $30 on top of my phone line. Thing is, company will pay for whatever connection I choose to get. This makes me lean towards cable, because then I could drop my land line.

But if comcast is crap, Im not going. Verizon DSL I have heard nothing but good things about.

Any input you could share would be great, for the benefit of all those forum-ees on here who use or choose the services.
THanks!!!!!!(burn)(burn)
I have Comcast (in PA though), I like it. No problems so far. I didn't go Verizon b/c I have no land line...and DSL sucks

Got comcast as well and have never had any problems. Some people like DSL better because you don't share bandwidth with your neighbors, and speeds are just as fast.....but I've never had it, that's just what I've heard.

guess non of my neighbors have comcast. I do and never experience any problems. I would like to see their new service supposed to be 2x as fast as the normal service. I have the normal and it blazes through stuff just fine for me.

Verizon DSL is roughly 1.2 Mbps

Comcast starts at 1.5 Mbps. After having Comcast beyond the introductry period they will increase your bandwidth to 3.0 Mbps. (At least that's what they did for me).

I think they both have roughly the same upstream, which is s***. If you want to host files on your machine you're SOL. Downloading BitTorrents deteriorates my web browsing experience to dial-up daze because it hordes my upstream.

The issue for people in populated areas is that Comcast will share your link. However the link can go faster than 3.0Mbps so there has to be a large number of people downloading movies and mp3s at the same time for you to notice any lag.

right now im running about 3.2Mbps and its probably got a little traffic on it at 5 pm

cool...cool. Another website I look at for my job is all techies. Apparently there have been issues in the MD/DC/VA area with getting service to work correctly. Hearing the good testimonials of you guys really heartens me, though.

What are y'all getting for uploads, on average? I WOULD be hosting from time to time.

Unless i had an SDSL 1.5 line, i would not get DSL. Ive got comcast and its pretty damn fast....fast enough for me, even when rocking 3 torrents and web browsing at the same time. then again, i drive a mazdaspeed, so anything is fast to me.

comcast > DSL

i'm in baltimore and it's 3-4 Mbps in our area.

I have sbc (major bell company down here) dsl here at work and have verizon at my apt. I have never had an outage with verizon, but sbc...that is another story. My verizon was upped to 3 mbps in Jan and I have never looked back. price is not that bad, its 50 with line and dsl. I will say this though that sbc works pretty hard when copper goes down. We had a tornado here in dfw, and sbc had new copper ran in 3 hours. Comcast in dallas area use to tack you with a fee if you did not have cable tv? Dont know if that is still true or not.

Edit: my upspeeds are 384 kbps. I dont know what comcast gievs you.
Edit2: comcast has whored out its customers who are known to file share to riaa and mpaa :(

Last edited:
Moeed said:
Edit2: comcast has whored out its customers who are known to file share to riaa and mpaa :(

Yeah, thats the thing that has me (semi)concerned as of late...

They used to stand up to those goons, but I guess they greased the wheel with some big money or something. Figures... (bird)

I get 30KB a second upstream with Comcast. Its fine for hosting a few web pages but it is slow as s*** for uploading large files (mp3s and videos).

6 MB Line, at home, optical at the office. Comast does me quite well, VOIP is awesome as well. I pay 110 a month for digital cable, internet, and voip.

MikeBlueP5 said:
right now im running about 3.2Mbps and its probably got a little traffic on it at 5 pm
Just out of curiousity, is there a way on my computer to tell exactly how fast the internet is going?

I would get comcast, rather the DSL is ADSL or SDSL it doesn't have the bandwidth capabilities as cable does. Simply put, with cable you can be downloading a s*** load/uploading a s*** load and your connection doesn't slow. However with a DSL connection if you have say 3 files coming in, than add a 4th your download speeds will slow, cable it won't slow, the previous downloads will remain the same.

As far as the whole bulls*** of "Your not sharing with DSL" eeeeeeeeeeerrrrr! WAY ******* WRONG! Rather you share at the trunk in your neighbor hood or at the main switch(dsl) or at the head-end(cable) your going to ******* share your connection, plain and simple. There is no such thing as an unshared connection when you are subscribing to an ISP, that was just some bulls*** marketing sceam created by the telephone companies that kind of stuck. The only way your going to get an unshared connection is if you have your own backbone to the internet cloud. If you pay AT&T or another tel co to come out, drop a T1 into your house, and take you right to the internet cloud. I guess basically unless you pay LOTS of freaking money each month for a "backbone to the internet cloud" your sharing your connection with others.

Oh, and by the way, it takes a whole lot of people to take up the bandwidth on a leg of a cable plant(a neighborhood for reference) for you to notice a difference in speed. That is because of the bandwidth capabilities that coax has.

So again, get Comcast over DSL unless for some reason the Comcast in your area really sucks, and is an old plant that hasn't been properly upgraded with decent head-end equipment as well as line equipment. Which they won't tell you specifics like that, so just ask locals about the over all performance of your local company.

Last edited:
Back