Cold weather

SpecM3

:
Mazda 3 GS Red Metallic
One of my wifes co-workers got his Mazda3 GT a couple of months ago and recently had problems (electrical) with his 3. The wipers started on their own, the horn went off and drove to the dealership like that. They checked every thing and as soon as he started the car at the dealer the wipers werent working, he could shift (semi-automatic transmission). They rechecked every thing and the car was ok by the end of the day. The dealer said that it was maybe because of extreme weather conditions in the area (for the last 3 weeks in Montreal -30 and more, + windshield factor)

Here's a link to an article talking about potential problems in cold weather. He took the 5 door Mazda3 to Whistler BC and had some electric problems.

http://www.auto123.com/en/info/news/roadtest,view,Mazda.spy?artid=20118&pg=4

I have to change my car Sept 2004 and I'm considering very seriously the Mazda 3 4 doors GT.

Has any one have the same problems at very cold conditions?

I picked up mine on November 22. I haven't had any problems that I would consider weather-related. I've been getting the same type of weather you have. I didn't get a block heater for my 3, and I don't need it really. I haven't had any problems starting it in the morning. The only problem I've had was the airbag light. That was fixed with a new crash sensor.

well the wipers have a sensor for rain detection and it makes the wipers turn on on their own so maybe theres something wrong with that sensor?

It's possible the sensor is ******. It could also be due to some crap on the windshield (over the sensor).

funny you should mention cold weather.

Today I felt my first sense of regret for picking the Mazda 3. I have to say I'm downright cranky at it.

In good weather (even "kinda cold") weather, I'm totally, completely happy with it.

Today there's been a lot of snow, and all week it has been brutally cold (today it warmed up, but not much). We already know the "all season" tires are quite inadequate for snow, so this isn't about that.

I start my car 10 minutes before leaving work, *after* brushing off as much snow as possible, including on the front windshield intake areas. I set the dial on "defrost" and leave it running.

On the drive home:

- got in the car - snow all over the dash. LOTS. Ok, fine. Paseo never did that. Brush it off, hope it doesnt mess up the dash/leather too much.
- rear passenger windows: totally fogged - can't see out them. Ok fine. No visibility back there apparently.
- my side windows 1/2 fogged, windshield still quite frosty. Keep having to lower them to see oncoming traffic at a turn.

I figure once I start driving it will take care of itself. After a half hour drive (mostly at 80km per hour), the back half of my side windows are still frosty (heat is cranked, fan is cranked, set to defrost, feet, didn't matter - windows stayed frosted). The rears passenger windows did not un-fog at ALL.

I keep coming back to this in my mind: the heater on my 1996 Paseo kicks the CRAP out of what Im getting from the Mazda 3 so far. I can leave the Paseo running 10 minutes and a few minutes into the drive my windows will be totally clear.

Argh. Not a happy camper in that regard.

Im sure I'll be loving the vehicle in spring and summer. But if I could return the vehicle today and try out some other vehicles, I hate to say it but I think I would. Edmonton has pretty harsh winters.

Jarrett

Well I didn't really have the problems you're having, but I can tell you for sure that the stock Goodyears that come with the 3 are absolutely horrible. When summer comes around I'm slapping some Michelin Pilots on there. Next winter I'm getting some Hakkapeliittas. This year's budget was a little tight.

The 3 does indeed take rather long time to warm up and defrost the windows.

ya go for the mich pilots...I put them on my 626 last year....brother works for mich...cheap.......and for the winter I but mich blizzaks on which have been great.......for the winter I am putting 15s on the M3.... smaller tires/wheels are better.....

Dre, Please let us know by the end of this rough winter your impressions on winter / cold conditions isssues on the car. Tires, Heating, defrosting etc,....

I can tell you my impression of the tires (I have same car as Dre): they *blow donkeys* in snow :) Very hard to get started sometimes, even at a very slow pace.

My impression of the heater has improved. I was just cranky that day and it was a blizzard.

Thanks for your advise guys,

It looks that I'll have to wait until this summer to decide. If I see that more people are having winter/cold related problems I will have to consider a new player that is only going to be available in Canada, Subaru Impreza 2.5 TS Sedan.......

Back