Cold + Royal Purple= no noise...

Fluffy Bunny

:
03 Pro5
Went to Wally World a few weeks back to cash in a Christmas gift card on some stuff to change the oil in my 03.5. Have used Mobil 1 since @ 10k so that was what I was looking for.

Got to looking on the shelves and notice they were completely out of 5w-30. Had some 10w30 but winter in Eastern PA can get cold on some morning so was thinking about what to do.

Then noticed they had Royal Purple on the shelf and in the weight I was looking for. Next thing I noticed was that it was only $.20 more than a quart of M1.

So out with the M1 and in with the RP.

Did not think anything about any differences until the first morning it was about 10 degrees below freezing. Used to always get some valve train rattle when it was 25 or lower. Colder it was - longer it would last. Longest it would rattle was a little over 5 seconds or so. Now with the Royal Purple - cold engine starts are noiseless.

Thought the real test would be the end of last week when one morning it was supposed to be @0. It ended up being 2 outside Friday morning - heard nothing - no valve train rattle or anything.

Of course this now means that I am probably stuck with RP for all future oil changes - and at only 69K - it was probably have quite a few more...

I just did the rp to because the m1 was out. Motor does sound and feel better.

Thanks for the tip. I just changed from conventional to Mobil1 synthetic at 78k and noticed a huge difference in noise levels upon cold starts. However, from your report, I'll have to try RP next time.

Been usin M1 but fixin ta swap to RP & K&N oil filters for both car & truck. Not sure about the cold playin into it much in TX but it still has momentary noise on startup with M1 so RP next time..............

I switched from M1 5w-30 to Castrol Syntec 0w-30 (made in Germany). Immediately I noticed the engine ran smoother.

I used Total Oil (Elf oil) on the previous oil change and i must also admit to a HUGE decrease in engine noise

The motor likes synthetics

what exactly do these numbers mean? i know the 30w and 50w means how thick the oil is but what is the number in front of that?

The first number is the rated viscosity for cold conditions the second is the viscosity rate for hot oil. Example 5w-30
For more information about oil this article has some good information. It's a motorcycle article but it works the same for automobiles.
http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Oils1.html

Clifton

Back