Cobb RSB rubbing

:
MSP & MS3
Ever since my Cobb RSB was installed, I've had rubbing noise. The shop that installed it reinstalled it, adjusted the settings, greased the hell out of the bushings, etc. Nothing ever changed. I had other shops look at it and they couldn't figure it out either.

FINALLY a shop was able to figure it out. Turns out the damn bar is rubbing against my frame. (nice design cobb!) So, while I'm glad I've finally figure out what the problem is, I'm now trying to figure out a solution. The shop that figured ou the problem came up with a few ideas... but suggested i contact Cobb first. They've been unresponsive at best. They keep saying their engineer is busy and that he'll call me back... but never does.

So... just curious if anyone else has experienced this before. There are no other relevant suspension mods on my car and it's never been in an accident. The front-side of the swaybar is rubbing against the frame pretty much in the middle.

RSB.bmp

I just installed my Progress RSB last night and I hear the same thing. When I installed it, I noticed it was going to rub a little. Sure enough it does. So, my only suggestion is this : buy some sticky foam strips ( like the kind for insulating windows). That's what I'm gonna do.. Other than that, I'm lost. Anybody else got some ideas???

Ever since my Cobb RSB was installed, I've had rubbing noise. The shop that installed it reinstalled it, adjusted the settings, greased the hell out of the bushings, etc. Nothing ever changed. I had other shops look at it and they couldn't figure it out either.

FINALLY a shop was able to figure it out. Turns out the damn bar is rubbing against my frame. (nice design cobb!) So, while I'm glad I've finally figure out what the problem is, I'm now trying to figure out a solution. The shop that figured ou the problem came up with a few ideas... but suggested i contact Cobb first. They've been unresponsive at best. They keep saying their engineer is busy and that he'll call me back... but never does.

So... just curious if anyone else has experienced this before. There are no other relevant suspension mods on my car and it's never been in an accident. The front-side of the swaybar is rubbing against the frame pretty much in the middle.

RSB.bmp
Hey, that look s like my RSB. lol

Never had this prob with either the Cobb or Hotchkis RSB. Did the shop load the rear suspension during the install?

I'm not sure what that even means. Guess it's something to ask them...

As for the foam strips... I feel like that type of solution won't really hold up. Just a matter of time before they come off. I'm actually leaning towards taking the bar off and filing the frame down a bit.

I'm not sure what that even means. Guess it's something to ask them...

As for the foam strips... I feel like that type of solution won't really hold up. Just a matter of time before they come off. I'm actually leaning towards taking the bar off and filing the frame down a bit.
I think he means, that weight of the suspension parts should on the RSB when setting it up. That is best way to see what the clearance is.

What I mean is did they jack up your car using a frame lift (leaves the wheels dangling, meaning no load on the suspension) or using a drive-on lift? The rear suspension must be loaded during the RSB install to ensure clearance after the install.

the shop that installed it didn't have a lift. I didn't watch them install it but I'm pretty sure they just used jacks or whatever. Unfortunately, the guy that installed it is gone and they appear to have lost interest in helping me fix this problem. Will suck to have to pay another shop to basically fix their mistake... but it'll be worth it if it works. Thanks for the tip!

its good to just use ramps. I installed my Hotchkis RSB with ramps the only issue I had was Hotchkis sent lube with small packet I had to run and get some more lube.

the shop that installed it didn't have a lift. I didn't watch them install it but I'm pretty sure they just used jacks or whatever. Unfortunately, the guy that installed it is gone and they appear to have lost interest in helping me fix this problem. Will suck to have to pay another shop to basically fix their mistake... but it'll be worth it if it works. Thanks for the tip!

A shop without a lift? Does he work on cars under the shade of a tree?

Without a lift, then he should've lifted the rear on ramps, not jack & stands. Therein lies your problem. I even believe it states in the instructions to load the rear. Great mechanic, this one.

BTW, this is a half-hour install and takes minimal tools. Do it yourself and know it's been done right.

my gf had issues with her cobb rsb and fsb it was hitting the frame... she just delt with it....now she has a 2010

Hotchkis made both their FSB and RSB and COBB's, as well. The FSB for both brands are notorious for clearance issues, loaded suspension or not.

yeah... the shop that did it is mainly a car audio shop. They installed a few other things for me (all of which didn't require a lift) and did a great job. I thought nothing of it having them install this as well. Never did I think this was the true cause... but I can definitely see now how it could have been. The guy that installed it no longer works there so there's no way of really knowing how he did it. Sounds like it just needs to be taken off (then put back on again while on a lift.) Can't wait to get rid of this awful sound. Makes the car sound like a beat-up old jalopy or something.

As far as doing these kinds of things myself goes... I gotta draw the line somewhere. I did my CAI, TMIC, turbo-pipe and unichip (haha) myself but anything that requires a damn lift... until I get that lift installed into my garage (damn that would be sweet) I gotta outsource that s***.

Anyway... thanks again for all your help. this board rules.

What I mean is did they jack up your car using a frame lift (leaves the wheels dangling, meaning no load on the suspension) or using a drive-on lift? The rear suspension must be loaded during the RSB install to ensure clearance after the install.
Forgive me. My bad.

... but anything that requires a damn lift... until I get that lift installed into my garage (damn that would be sweet) I gotta outsource that s***.

Rhino Ramps at your local VatoZone/Kragens/Pep Boys, etc. are $35. I've used the hell out of mine and they keep on truckin'.

All you have to do is loosen the bolts (you'll need a 14mm open ended wrench and a metric allen key - don't recall the size). Loosen the endlink bolts while the car is on ramps or on a flatbed lift and retighten. If you tighten everything down while the suspension is unloaded, you're going to have contact with the control arms.

thanks guys. turns out there was a little play in the bar. the shop loosened the bolts... pulled it back as much as they could and then tightened it back up. so far so good.

Back