Cobb Axes There FMIC... So sad

i'm not running meth...and i mentioned meth because it lowers temperatures silly.
i would also advise RE-THINKING purcahsing an fmic if you want power from it. cause i don't think you'll notice much of a power increase. it makes the turbo spool slower and you could even drop a psi or two. the biggest benefit i found to running an fmic is better temps.

yeah, this is a really good point. some piping kits would be great! and you go and buy your own core.

well, if the piping is at proper spec its shouldnt spool that much slower.

and i know why you mentioned it but i dont know what you brought it up when you arent close to fully bolted. theres no need for Meth with your mods so its a moot point

and its about better and more efficient cooling with little to no heat soak than adding alot power. especially on the tiny K04

do you know me?
do you know my mods?
do you want me to tell you?
i have an intake, an inlet, front mount, downpipe, standback, new valve, and i have a manifold coming. kindly take your foot from your mouth and place it somewhere else

I think most of the cores perform on an equal level, some just not as good as others. In this case which intercooler core is better, CP-e or cobb or GodSpeed or TurboXS? (Don't base your opinion on how widely known the brand is, or how many of your friends have one.) If one really is better then the other, then why, what makes it better other then the name?

do you know me?
do you know my mods?
do you want me to tell you?
i have an intake, an inlet, front mount, downpipe, standback, new valve, and i have a manifold coming. kindly take your foot from your mouth and place it somewhere else

well lets see, you stated this in your post

i have mscai and cpe fmic and my bat's are about 15 above ambient at wot, and about 20-30 degrees above ambient cruising/idling

so maybe you should go more into detail when stating your mods. now take your foot out of yours

If that sentence isn't self-contradictory, I don't know what is... (dunno)

wouldnt that statement be contradictory if he said

"I think most of the cores perform on an equal level, MOST just not as good as others..."?

he said
I think most of the cores perform on an equal level, some just not as good as others...

so im not getting how he contradicted himself(uhm)

Last edited:
well lets see, you stated this in your post

so maybe you should go more into detail when stating your mods. now take your foot out of yours

no, you just assumed that's all i had. that's the only s*** i mentioned cause the only s*** that really has to do with temperature. my downpipe doesn't get me any cooler temps, nor does my valve.
whatever though, you win

wouldnt that statement be contradictory if he said

"I think most of the cores perform on an equal level, MOST just not as good as others..."?

he said

so im not getting how he contradicted himself(uhm)

His sentence structure implies that "some" in the second half of the sentence is referring to members of the "most" group that is referred to in the beginning of the sentence.

Poor sentence structure, I guess. (dunno)

I get what he's saying now. ;)

FMIC's are not rocket science.

Just as with intakes, the simplicity of an intercooler, or merely "piping" design, is a common misconception. There is a lot of engineering involved with creating just the right balance in cooling, flow, and fitment for a particular platform, and a particular power goal.

It IS extremely easy to grab a core, some couplers, some cheap piping, and throw it all together. ANYONE can do that...and many have, with some success (in the speed6 and speed3 community).

Of course if you don't do any research, or planning, you can end up with a thrown together kit, that actually does more harm to the car, then good.

I highly recommend the following books if you're interested in turbo design/engineering, or creating your own FMIC.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

You'll learn how piping size, core size, endtank design, core type, and bov placement are all critical in a properly functioning setup.

Of the kit's on the speed market, the biggest problems tend to stem up with the oversized cores which increase lag, and cause coolant temps to spike well in the timing retard stages.

It is "technically" possible, to put together an FMIC kit, that causes power LOSS over the stock TMIC.

I think if anything, the amount of issues the aftermarket community has had with the speed platform should tell everyone just how much science and engineering is needed to do ANY modifications to a current generation platform.

im not. thats why im going to buy ED's piping kit and a proper sized CXRacing or Godspeed Core from ebay.

forum gossip of the day :). rumor is i hear the FMIC and DP will still be available...

Last edited:
Just as with intakes, the simplicity of an intercooler, or merely "piping" design, is a common misconception. There is a lot of engineering involved with creating just the right balance in cooling, flow, and fitment for a particular platform, and a particular power goal.

It IS extremely easy to grab a core, some couplers, some cheap piping, and throw it all together. ANYONE can do that...and many have, with some success (in the speed6 and speed3 community).

Of course if you don't do any research, or planning, you can end up with a thrown together kit, that actually does more harm to the car, then good.

I highly recommend the following books if you're interested in turbo design/engineering, or creating your own FMIC.

You'll learn how piping size, core size, endtank design, core type, and bov placement are all critical in a properly functioning setup.

Of the kit's on the speed market, the biggest problems tend to stem up with the oversized cores which increase lag, and cause coolant temps to spike well in the timing retard stages.

It is "technically" possible, to put together an FMIC kit, that causes power LOSS over the stock TMIC.

I think if anything, the amount of issues the aftermarket community has had with the speed platform should tell everyone just how much science and engineering is needed to do ANY modifications to a current generation platform.

Thanks for a thoughtful answer. You are correct it is not as simple as throwing things together because you can make them fit in there. :)

I have the Maximum Boost book by Corky Bell. Very enjoyable read. Though it is a bit dated I would suppose the lessons are valid.

I just talked to a guy here who used to do beta testing for cobb and he said that the company that makes cobbs products made a bunch of bad ones and cobb refused to pay for them, so the company won't make anymore parts so they are just focusing on the accessport for the time being.

I finally decided that next year i would buy the Cobb tuning tool Accessport. This is fn great. I recall when thet were still trying to break the codes and get a handle on the ecu. I read everything i could about the company. And CP-e. It took forever for release of the first edition. I assume, it was that the ecu was a b**** from Mazda engineers to fiddle with. well now that the protune is available i finally am ready. And now they are moving on. I surely will have to call them up about this. I remember them being friendly and helpful way back in 07. A shame i suppose. what do you mean by bad ones warped snail?

Back