Cobb AP for smoking turbo

SomnoSpeed3

:
2007 Mazdaspeed3 G/T
So Mazda is getting ready to screw me on replacing my chimney of a turbo. I have read a couple times of people setting the idle higher with their Cobb AP and it works to stop the smoke. My question is, does this work 100% of the time? Or has anyone tried the AP at higher idle and it DID NOT work?

Do I need Access Tuner Race to change the idle??

Like a dummy I sold my Cobb AP because I was a afraid the ots tune would blow my engine. I don't have ANY pro tuner near me.

Well the easiest way to test that now is to let it idle until it smokes, then give it a little more gas to raise the rpms slightly to see where the smoke disappears.

It will usually work but might not be practical to some as some have had to raise it to about 1500 to get it to stop smoking.

Thanks for the help. I'll give the 900 rpm test a shot.

Well, you know what question is coming next... How do I change the rpm on the AP? I take it I need to use Access Tuner Race? Is that still available for free??
I have never used ATR so I don't have a clue how to change rpm.

yeah you need ATR. Once you have it, theres idle tables where you manually put in the rpm value. I actually put mine to 1000, 900 cured the smoking, but at 1000 the buzzes and vibes from my motor mount aren't so bad now, almost can't even notice it at all.

You'd think Mazda would be falling all over themselves to fix the smoking issues. What do people think when they see shiny sporty late-model Mazdas smoking like a 1989 Chrysler Minivan?

They think that they want to punch me in the face for polluting their AC with my oil stink.

Mazda hasn't cared so far, I doubt that wl change.

Back