Clutch

Mazda3ofKent

:
Mazda 3 5 door
I think my cluth is sliping I am 45K miles on my car, any sugestion on replacemnt clutches, or any other problem this might be, its way early for clutch to go out, even with hard driving

what is ur car doing? describe what happens i never had clutch slipping on me before i want to know what to expect

the egine is reving but the car is not moveing with the tach, would be a clutch slip. Odd thing is it is accelratateing just not not crisply, almost like the engen is boging down

Mspeed3 said:
is there a weird smell? 45k is a little early, have the dealer look at it

45K being early ??? if you drive it like a grandma 100% of the time ... hahaha

Anybody that drives aggressive once in a while should probably look at getting their clutch replaced between 30-40K miles ...

check out some performance clutches. If you have to replace it, why not upgrade it :)

Akaveli said:
check out some performance clutches. If you have to replace it, why not upgrade it :)
I realize the OP doesn't have a speed so this doesn't apply, but if you do have a speed, you would be wise to baby the clutch a bit. The MS3 has a dual-mass flywheel which cannot be resurfaced. If you fry the clutch, it is likely the flywheel will have to be replaced, adding about $1200 to the job. Also, you may find aftermarket clutches are scarce that will mate up with this flywheel.

" Anybody that drives aggressive once in a while should probably look at getting their clutch replaced between 30-40K miles ..." This is lame. What do you do ? Lots of burnouts everyday?

" Anybody that drives aggressive once in a while should probably look at getting their clutch replaced between 30-40K miles ..." This is lame. What do you do ? Lots of burnouts everyday or do you work for a stealership? haha

I've never burned out a clutch...

CaSHMeRe said:

Anybody that drives aggressive once in a while should probably look at getting their clutch replaced between 30-40K miles ...

Sorry, that's ridiculous(boom08). Most modern clutches can withstand a lot of punishment. If you have to replace your clutch in 45,000 miles you don't know how to drive with a clutch. I've had 6 cars with manual and drove them all aggresively without ever bunring one out. I had a Mazda Protege ES with the original clutch after 160,000 miles.

Supposedly the Speed 3 clutch is designed to withstand 750 hp. Is this true?

Supposedly the Speed 3 clutch is designed to withstand 750 hp. Is this true?

Don't quote me, but that sounds VERY high. I'm sure the tranny is not going to take 750hp (What, maybe 400-500?), so what would be the point of using such an insane clutch?

I had a MX6 i drove for a 189K and did not need a cluth, I think i might have something to do with the 3rd gear going out about a year ago

CaSHMeRe said:

Absolutely not. Learn to drive your car, please! 80k miles on my stock clutch and it was MINT.. with track driving, and agressive driving too..

Reliability?

Mz3FRS said:
Don't quote me, but that sounds VERY high. I'm sure the tranny is not going to take 750hp (What, maybe 400-500?), so what would be the point of using such an insane clutch?

My understanding is that most makes design their tranny and clutches to withstand double the torque and HP of the stock power rating. Since the MS3 is designed with tweeks in mind I'm guessing 750hp wouldn't be far off. But maybe your right 4, 5 or even 600 hp for a stock rating of 263hp seems more realistic. One things for sure the MS3 clutch feels like it can take a beating compared to my MZ3. It just felt more substantial during my 3 separate test drives.

Antonio DiMarco said:
My understanding is that most makes design their tranny and clutches to withstand double the torque and HP of the stock power rating. Since the MS3 is designed with tweeks in mind I'm guessing 750hp wouldn't be far off. But maybe your right 4, 5 or even 600 hp for a stock rating of 263hp seems more realistic. One things for sure the MS3 clutch feels like it can take a beating compared to my MZ3. It just felt more substantial during my 3 separate test drives.

teehee.. not the Mazdaspeed Protege.. the tranny can barely handle more power than stock for long. The clutch can hold maybe 50-75hp more than stock :p

Very true of the MSP ... my clutch started slipping around 12-14 psi boost ... I gotta think I was somewhere around 225 whp or so (but never had it dynoed) and the clutch couldn't maintain clamp at that power. HOWEVER ... driving it hard and slipping from time to time, the clutch was still in great shape and barely and glazing on the flywheel @ 53k miles. Burnt out at 45k miles is ridiculous.

Back