Clutch interlock switch aggravation

RABID_MP5

:
2002 Protege5
I noticed my P5 will start even with the clutch pedal up. So I studied the interlock switch (on the clutch bracket - plunger comes out when you depress the pedal) Well the switch is supposed to close when you depress the pedal. I metered it, and it was intermittent, as if dirty etc. So I disassembled the switch and bent the metal shorting piece in there. Now the switch operates OK on my ohm meter. But if you think, this original problem should have caused the car to not start sometimes, even (and only if) the clutch is in. So then I found that the wires to the switch have been cut and fixed then taped by previous owner. So...I'm thinking there is a user-rigged short in the circuit, but where? (The cruise works OK, but I'm thinking it won't cut off if you press in the clutch) Anyone else have a problem with this? ALSO - What is the second switch on the clutch, almost at the firewall, it switches only when the clutch is fully engaged?

OK I found that the switch by the firewall IS jumpered, plus that switch is also intermittent (ie bad). So I think they just tried the outer switch first to no avail when it began to fail to crank. It makes sense too. The outer switch is for the cruise: It triggers with slight clutch actuation. The bottom switch is for the starter: It ensures that the pressure plate is retracted before you can crank.

As for remote starters, I've never felt the need. But I have two new uses (till I think of more). Hook it up to the starter only, NOT fuel & ignition. Then you can use it on a M/T car to climb up ramps for oil changes etc. Now that you've accepted this :eek: you can put her in reverse (ignition switch off) when parked blind between two vans, and then back it out standing outside, kinda like an R/C car. This must be so illegal you can't count the ways, I know....

But seriously, when you press "start" on a remote starter, does it crank just as long as you press the button, of is there like a pre-programmed interval, say 2 seconds, that it will crank before stopping and maybe trying again??? If it's the former, you could use it to bump on new belts at roadside (after pulling the engine fuse).

Back