Clunking Clutch?

BoPro5

:
03.5 Protege5
Hey guys... got an '03 P5... mods include lowering springs, Tokico struts, and a heavy-duty clutch.

Heres the problem, from stop to start letting off the clutch i'll sometimes get a loud thumping similar to wheel hop but its before the wheels could even be spinning (or not enough RPM to spin the wheels). I can also get a loud squeak sometimes from the engine bay when feathering the clutch.

This is under daily driving conditions(no racing/launching) hot or cold and its about one in three times that one of these happens.

Please help....

Did you just finish replacing your clutch and flywheel (or resurface)? Or did this just start happening?

replaced it about a year ago. it did it some to begin with but i thought it went away or i learned the new clutch but now its rearing its ugly head again. I've tried different ways of clutching and the problem is still there.

possibly the clutch release bearing broke in the housing....is there any rattling? can you feel pulsations on the clutch pedal?

no none of that stuff going on. I just filled my passenger engine mount with Polyurethane. its reduced the clunking a lot. it did it probably twice last week as opposed to five times a day.

yeah id say just replace the mount then, best bet, but usually when your replacing one mount id say just replace them all cause if one is bad id say most of them are bad. Let me know how it goes!

i checked all my mounts. the rubber is in good condition. i wonder if i just got a crappy set of motor mounts. Just got the bottom of the batch of rubber or something. Thanks for the help. Im gonna try filling the trans mount and see if it makes more difference.

i checked all my mounts. the rubber is in good condition. i wonder if i just got a crappy set of motor mounts. Just got the bottom of the batch of rubber or something. Thanks for the help. Im gonna try filling the trans mount and see if it makes more difference.

yeah see how that goes, ive seen that happen before. Check for tears and stress marks too, the rubber can look fine but once you play with it a little you will be able to see the tears in the rubber.

If it's not the mounts, it may be your throw out bearing.

Yep thats what i said, deffinately make sure you got a quality one and installed it right cause that could cause it to break prematurely. As you said its when your letting off the clutch the noise is prominent, that is when the release bearing is most in play. is the noise also alble to be heard when the pedal is fully pressed to the floor? if so it is the release bearing, when you are in gear and off the clutch pedal the bearing is forced against the pressure plate so it should make no noise then even if it is bad. check it out and get back to us.

i'm gonna say you guys have the problem spot on. the way its acting could definitely be the TOB. I don't suppose i'm looking at a simple fix or even a driveway breakdown am I? What could happen if i let the problem worsen?

i'm gonna say you guys have the problem spot on. the way its acting could definitely be the TOB. I don't suppose i'm looking at a simple fix or even a driveway breakdown am I? What could happen if i let the problem worsen?

Where are you located? If you have a decent amount of car knowledge and tools you can do it yourself but its gonna take time and patience anywhere from 3 hrs - a day or so depending on how experienced you are. If you let it worsen you could possibly hurt or ruin your pressure plate, clutch, flywheel, or even driveshaft in the clutch bellhousing. i would suggest definitely fixing it asap. Ive done many clutches and ive done mine about 4 times now and ive got it down basically like the back of my hand. You can possibly find a thread showing you how to do it with pictures and instructions.

Last edited:
i'm in Sin City wanna swing by and help me pull my TOB???? jk

I'm pretty darn good with a wrench Ill see about a how to thread. Hmmm.... maybe ill throw on a lightweight flywheel while im in there!

i'm in Sin City wanna swing by and help me pull my TOB???? jk

I'm pretty darn good with a wrench Ill see about a how to thread. Hmmm.... maybe ill throw on a lightweight flywheel while im in there!

Lol i wish! Yeah a how to thread is best, and a lightweight flywheel is always good! Oh actually i have a service manual you can try that might help. PM me if you want it, gotta sleep now.

Back