Climate control question: feature or a bug?

:
2009 Mazda5 Sport (5 speed), 2014 Subaru Outback 2.5i (CVT)
Car in question: 2009 Sport, MT, automatic climate control. According to the owner manual, when AUTO mode is turned on, A/C is turned on and the air is automatically directed to the windshield and feet area. I played with this a bit and it seemed that it is possible to turn the A/C off and still have the climate control operate in the AUTO mode. On the other hand, switching the direction of air flow did not seem to be possible - the AUTO mode would turn off. At least, it seemed to work that way until today.

A few hours ago as I was driving home through a very humid and somewhat cool air mass that has descended on Boston, I noticed that my windows were fogging up and upon closer inspection realized that the climate control decided to direct the warm air to my face, not the windshield. I played some more and it looked like the air flow direction (in AUTO mode) depends on the temperature setting: below 67 degrees the air blows in the driver's face, at the higher settings - somewhere around 69 - it is directed towards the windshield. When temperature is set between 67 and 69 - the controller seems to flip a coin. On one hand, if temperature is set at 66 degrees, it probably is hot outside and it sort of makes sense to direct the cool air into the cabin (not onto the windshield). On the other hand, this is not the behavior mentioned in the owner manual. Is it a feature, or a bug? Should I enjoy it, or run to the dealer and complain?

The climate control has a mind of its own.. It behaves like a mechanic
giving you what you desire but acting on its own to 'protect' the system
making sure no part is stressed too much etc..

Thanks for bringing it up.. I got curious and I'm reading the technical guide trying
to learn how it works.. so far too complex for me to understand.

I sent you a pm of the Tech guide. have a good read.

Last edited:
Car in question: 2009 Sport, MT, automatic climate control. According to the owner manual, when AUTO mode is turned on, A/C is turned on and the air is automatically directed to the windshield and feet area. I played with this a bit and it seemed that it is possible to turn the A/C off and still have the climate control operate in the AUTO mode. On the other hand, switching the direction of air flow did not seem to be possible - the AUTO mode would turn off. At least, it seemed to work that way until today.

A few hours ago as I was driving home through a very humid and somewhat cool air mass that has descended on Boston, I noticed that my windows were fogging up and upon closer inspection realized that the climate control decided to direct the warm air to my face, not the windshield. I played some more and it looked like the air flow direction (in AUTO mode) depends on the temperature setting: below 67 degrees the air blows in the driver's face, at the higher settings - somewhere around 69 - it is directed towards the windshield. When temperature is set between 67 and 69 - the controller seems to flip a coin. On one hand, if temperature is set at 66 degrees, it probably is hot outside and it sort of makes sense to direct the cool air into the cabin (not onto the windshield). On the other hand, this is not the behavior mentioned in the owner manual. Is it a feature, or a bug? Should I enjoy it, or run to the dealer and complain?

On my climate control I noticed that where it decides to direct air is not dependant on a specific temperature but dependant on how close the vehicles inside temperature is to where you set it. I haven't touched my climate control in at least a couple of months. Set it to 72 degrees, turned the A/C off, and when I get in the car it starts with low fan speed, windshield and feet. Once the engine is up to operating temperature, it raises the fan speed and it always seems that once the vehicle apparently reaches the requested temperature, fan speed goes down and windshield changes to face. This certainly makes sense so I don't think it's a glitch with your system.

I haven't used to AUTO setting yet; I understand 'why' the A/C circulates the air, but I don't like the A/C compressor being on so much. in the winter, I set the temp manually to 69-74, windshield/feet, until it's warm then I switch to just feet. I HATE warm air blowing in my face!

In my 07, if you shut off the A/C it also shuts off auto mode. :( It's pretty annoying, it can get too dry in the cabin unless it's rainy/damp outside. Granted I noticed that the A/C compressor doesn't run all the time, my A/C belt needs to be changed soon but as a result I can hear whenever the A/C compressor starts up. I don't think it runs all the time just because the A/C light is on, it's runs whenever necessary.

I've also learned to set it manually to 21C-22C, feet/windshield at all times.

I haven't used to AUTO setting yet; I understand 'why' the A/C circulates the air, but I don't like the A/C compressor being on so much. in the winter, I set the temp manually to 69-74, windshield/feet, until it's warm then I switch to just feet. I HATE warm air blowing in my face!

Any time the system is set to windshield even combined with another direction such as windshield and floor, the AC compressor will be engaged. Whether in manual or auto mode. Newer vehicles incorporate this feature as an AC system dehumidifies the air as well as cools it. Sooo this helps to reduce fogging.

I got spoiled by having climate control in my CX7, I liked how it (mostly) removes the need to fiddle with HVAC controls while driving. Set the temp, then let the auto figure it out.

Haven't yet spent enough time with the 5 to know all its behaviors, but the CX7 did give me a few WTF moments as I became used to it.

It would let you click off the A/C compressor without knocking it out of auto, and I did that frequently in winter...I noticed already that my 2010 will allow that also. My only typical override on the CX7 occurred in mild temps, where inside /desired / outside were in the 60's; "it" figured there wasn't much work to do, where in that setting I'd still like a nice breeze, so I'd have to take over the fan control.

This feature was actually one that really triggered my renewed interest in this vehicle. Cross shopping Honda Fits, (I know it's not a straight match for size/capability/mileage, but it could hold our dog crate) I found they don't have climate control in USDM models, at any trim level. It amazes me that Mazda includes this feature in all their trims here, at this price point, and for me it's so nice to have.

Back