Cleaning CX-5 Engine Bay

zlocity

:
2015 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD
Has anyone cleaned the engine bay of their CX-5? I have not looked too much into it yet, just an idea.
People typically recommend to cover electrical components, I was wondering if anyone had a nice picture/chart that would outline the important parts to protect and avoid water on for the CX-5.

Thanks!

I haven't gone about detailing the engine bay yet, and I don't think anyone has a chart or diagram of what to cover vs what not to cover. I would say better be safe then sorry. I would NOT use a pressure washer in the engine bay what so ever. To much of a risk of getting water where it shouldn't be. Every time I've cleaned my engine bays I've used aluminum foil around anything that looks like it shouldn't be to wet. You have to remember that it's an engine in a car subject to rain and what not so it will get damp in there from time to time. Just cover all electrical connectors and anything that looks like it needs it. Spay it down with a good APC and then apply your dressing, I prefer 303 aerospace protectant. Good luck and post up some pics when your done.

Here's my P5 before and after engine bay cleaning and detailing

Before:

attachment.php

After:

attachment.php

Last edited:
If it isnt to dirty already spray the whole bay with tire cleaner. It will knock out the majority of all the dirt and grease. Then wipe it off. No need to spray water in the engine bay. Get some detailing brushes to brush all the sand and rocks away prior to spraying the tire cleaner on it.

I've been cleaning my engine bay for years, make sure you keep the car running when you do. first spray degreaser and let it sit for a couple minutes, then hose it off. then spray a leather conditioner or silicone based tire shine, close the hood and let it bake while you wash the rest of your car. next time you open your hood it will look like a car off the showroom floor

I haven't gone about detailing the engine bay yet, and I don't think anyone has a chart or diagram of what to cover vs what not to cover. I would say better be safe then sorry. I would NOT use a pressure washer in the engine bay what so ever. To much of a risk of getting water where it shouldn't be. Every time I've cleaned my engine bays I've used aluminum foil around anything that looks like it shouldn't be to wet. You have to remember that it's an engine in a car subject to rain and what not so it will get damp in there from time to time. Just cover all electrical connectors and anything that looks like it needs it. Spay it down with a good APC and then apply your dressing, I prefer 303 aerospace protectant. Good luck and post up some pics when your done.

Here's my P5 before and after engine bay cleaning and detailing

wut no turbo?

I used a similar method to Ridre92 to clean the CX-5 engine bay. First time ever cleaned in 3 years. I used a spray bottle filled with water and dawn soap, new soft bristle wheel brush, and Saran Wrap/ grocery bags.

First thing I did was identify all electrical components and Saran wrapping end connections. I took 2 grocery bags and wrapped the alternator (fyi, cool engine). I also used a bag to cover the battery. You can use tape to keep the bags in place. Next I removed leaves and debris from cowl area and edges of engine bay. I removed the plastic engine cover. Then I sprayed the whole engine bay with my dawn soap/water mix including underside of hood. Then I lightly rinsed everything with a hose just o loosen up the dirt. Sprayed soap again but also used wheel brush to agitate the dirt more. Then hosed off again. Next I took a leaf blower to dry everything up then carefully removed saran wraps and grocery bags using plastic gloves. Then I sprayed plastics and rubber parts with 303 Aerospace Protectant and applied with a microfiber towel. Carefully hand wiped the battery and alternator. I cleaned and reassembled the engine cover.

The amount of dirt removed left my garage floor dirty so I promptly hosed the dirt away before it could settle.

There's no one correct/strict method per se to do it but multiple ways of cleaning engine bays. As long as you take precautions in covering up sensitive components and areas, it should be fine.

One area not specifically mentioned in this thread that shouldn't be overlooked is the intake at the front of the vehicle just slightly off to the right. I usually place a thick microfiber, towel in there to prevent any liquid from getting in. If you have an exposed K&N-style air filter, that should be covered with something.

A several weeks ago I sprayed diluted OPC APC and used a few old/worn/stained microfiber towels for wiping clean, a flag-tipped brush (which I use for the fender wells) and a small detail brush for agitation. I also have a daytona-style wheel brush and even a mini version which would do also the job. I clean my brushes after every session that they're not an issue of cross contamination - especially for dirty areas like engine bays.

I also used a spray bottle filled with distilled water for rinsing before drying.

After cleaning, you can apply a dressing such as Aerospace protectant or Black on Black (aerosol) - depending on the surface. It's not necessary, but I sometimes apply a durable sealant on the painted surface of the engine cover such as CG's Jetseal or Wolfgang 3.0.

Note that during that time I did not use a garden hose or pressure washer. You can if you want, but it's not the only way to do it - especially if all that is needed is some light cleaning.

Edited to add:
For earlier CX-5 models, an aerosol-type trim dressing such as Meguiar's Ultimate Black, Meguiar's Trim Detailer or CG's Black on Black make it far easier to dress the honeycomb grille.

Last edited:
Back