CitizenPro's Unichip Story

mx3ownzj00 said:
its the dump causing the fuel cut. now that the weather has cooled down, the MAF is easily maxed out at higher boost levels. the dump has caused spike issues ever since CitizenPro put it on his car and with the boost level the UC boost controller is set at, he gets a higher spike. .
so you think if i close mine ill quit hitting fuel cut so often? but i like the sound.........

James- If you're cutting due to a spike, then it could help. If you don't get a spike but are fuel cutting its probably just the weather + your boost level causing it. I've cutted at stock boost before though...

yep, CitizenPro rocks the stockness

mx3ownzj00 said:
its the dump causing the fuel cut. now that the weather has cooled down, the MAF is easily maxed out at higher boost levels. the dump has caused spike issues ever since CitizenPro put it on his car and with the boost level the UC boost controller is set at, he gets a higher spike. not having the UC get rid of the fuel cut is double edged; it keeps a safegaurd in place, but doesn't let you have any fun in the cold. :(

its not that the Unichip can't keep up, its the stock computer still having fuel cut control.

So the UC doesn't get rid of fuel cut??? Wow... umm... yeah... you guys are really sacrificing a lot of money for plug and play (and emissions to some extent). 1) No control over your maps 2) still have fuel cut 3) spikey boost control.

It's great if you guys are happy... but why not spend less money and get an MPI? Or spend a couple hundred more and have a standalone Microtech? I realize for a lot of people the plug and play is a BIG deal, but other than that I'm asking...

Hopefully it runs well though overall... all i care about overall is that the cars run well and people have fun... So if he is getting that then great! I just had NO idea that the unichip couldn't kill fuel cut.

how much are mpi's running for? i dont know if i can allow citizenpro to have the engine management if i dont.........

mpi's are $685 so 7 hundred something for the unichip doesn't seem too bad, especially since it comes with the boost controller ( i know that alot of off ppl have had reliability issues w/ the mbc, but some have been ok) also factor in that the unichip is supposed to be pretty easy to install...

P.S.: turf, if i didn't live in nj, i'd be all over the microtech!!

I'm currently looking at purchasing the Unichip. I'm particularlly interested because of the relative 'ease of use' and significant testing. But it is looking like the unichip is not engineered that well for the MSP. I just want some more power without f*^kng up my car. Why is this so difficult. Is it the nature of the growing aftermarket market, is it our cars fault, or is it the suppliers specific to this car?

Tito1 said:
I'm currently looking at purchasing the Unichip. I'm particularlly interested because of the relative 'ease of use' and significant testing. But it is looking like the unichip is not engineered that well for the MSP. I just want some more power without f*^kng up my car. Why is this so difficult. Is it the nature of the growing aftermarket market, is it our cars fault, or is it the suppliers specific to this car?

because aftermarket suppliers generally aren't very good... It only took me a little while to get the Microtech to work flawlessly and it had been tried before and no one got it to work properly... turned out they just didn't understand the car or electronics properly... and that's the case with a LOT of places and systems. Some are better than others though.

A microtech takes about 3 hours to install and requires basic wiring skills (cut and strip wires, do a tiny bit of soldering of one wire to another wire... the end).

You NEED to have a wideband so you can do your tuning... but any time you tune a vehicle yourself, you should have a wideband...

Full instructions with wire colors, ECU pins and the like are included and I'm easy to get a hold of for questions... full standalone for $990...

goku4658 said:
mpi's are $685 so 7 hundred something for the unichip doesn't seem too bad, especially since it comes with the boost controller ( i know that alot of off ppl have had reliability issues w/ the mbc, but some have been ok) also factor in that the unichip is supposed to be pretty easy to install...

P.S.: turf, if i didn't live in nj, i'd be all over the microtech!!

I thought most unichips were sold for about 800...

The thing I don't like is that every time you change your mods or improve the car you are still stuck with whatever raw maps are in there... not very accurate!!

true true, but i live pretty close to a tuner and after that i'll be pretty much done w/ new mods so that leaves only 1 retune for me.

edit: but i totally understand what you're saying about the shortcomings of the unichip

Last edited:
yea, if I wanted to deal with tuning myself, I wouldn't have bought a unichip. but I don't have the time to invest in that right now so the unichip was the best option. its a good unit that allows people who don't want to deal with a custom tune and don't want to buy the $300+ worth of electronics a safe, power-making tune.

You can get the MPI for $585 shipped and get the the two extra injector setup with custom rail for your type of pipes be it; plastic, steel or aluminum for $285 shipped (extra injectors not needed, but makes life alot easier)

Of course this all depends on how much your willing to buy at one time or how nice and respectful you are to Nick at Modern Performance

or you can get the Microtech from TurfBurn...

and let's not forget the J&S Ultra Safeguard Knock Defender for really badass timing management. (can be purchased through TurfBurn as well)

in th end as long as your happy with your setup that is what counts...

mx3ownzj00 said:
yea, if I wanted to deal with tuning myself, I wouldn't have bought a unichip. but I don't have the time to invest in that right now so the unichip was the best option. its a good unit that allows people who don't want to deal with a custom tune and don't want to buy the $300+ worth of electronics a safe, power-making tune.

Yep... exactly. If you don't want to do tuning yourself, or have a custom shop tune done, then the Unichip is a very good unit for what it is intended to be. It's when I see it on a full built motor with a custom turbo capable of over 300 horse that I kind of wonder what is up... and there are some that fit that bill...

TurfBurn said:
BTW... that speeding ticket REALLLY sucks.
yeah i told you to buy a radar detector chuck! I prolly would have let you borrow mine for the trip. i haven't been speeding in a while so i dont always use it anymore.

apocman said:
You can get the MPI for $585 shipped and get the the two extra injector setup with custom rail for your type of pipes be it; plastic, steel or aluminum for $285 shipped (extra injectors not needed, but makes life alot easier)

seriously? thats ****** sweet!

if i think a afc is fun, microtech must be badass. If I had a built motor I think it would be worth it for sure.

I think those that want the 'set it and forget it' nature of the unichip. For me, I want my car to be just as reliable as stock, with a bit more power. No headaches is the point...whether UC gets you there remains to be seen.

Back