choosing the trim: is it worth the $$$?

pulpo

:
mazda5
We are getting our blue Mazda5, but I cannot notice enough of a difference in the trims to justify the costs. I do not really need leather or moonroof. Please tell me what am I not understanding?:confused:

Howdy, I assume you are looking at a 2008 Mazda5 Touring vs Grand Touring. If you go on Mazda's website, you can compare the difference. To me, the price difference between Touring and Grand Touring is a bargain for what you get. The major selling points are bluetooth, leather, and HID self leveling headlights. There is also heated front seats and anti-theft alarm. Here is a link to Mazda's comparison chart:

Mazda5 comparison chart

We are getting our blue Mazda5, but I cannot notice enough of a difference in the trims to justify the costs. I do not really need leather or moonroof. Please tell me what am I not understanding?:confused:

There’s really no difference in the mechanicals other than transmission type availability across the trim levels. With the Mazda5, the different trim levels really boils down to how many ‘goodies’ you want. Not sure what you don’t understand… to get more you have to pay more?

You seem like a no-frills sort of person because you don’t care about leather or a moonroof, so probably just get the Sport and save some cash… it’ll drive the same as the Touring and GT.

thanks

I have poured thru those websites and do not need the heated seats (we're in Texas), the bluetooth - but maybe the alarm. So I might just do that after market style. I might not be the bells and whistle-type...(screwy) I just want that car! I think it was in my dreasm the other night.

oh, for real!? I would have guessed the other way round. BUT - leather is sticky when it's hot and humid as it ALWAYS is in Houston...

All Tourings have moonroof (scratch)...

Sport with Popular Package: no moonroof, no leather but side sills, rear spoiler (and OEM fogs if pre-ordered)....and it comes in blue :D

And I just bought 3M upholstery "dirt" protector for the seats. 7 bucks on Walmart...

if you don't need leather and moonroof. ONLY choice will be base Sport model
i added popoular equipment package which added side sill extension and rear spoiler for better looks..(also PEP comes with 6 cd changer).

I wanted the pop eq package but was told not available with the manual so I figured I could add the sill extensions after the fact...guess what?
they cost $900 ea side and are unpainted! I had checked before the sale and was told they would come painted and would cost about $ 300-400.
morale of story check yourself on availability of acc. yo want before sale or get it in the package at time of sale( 08 sport ) have fun with your new ride!

ok - here is a dumn question what do side sill extensions look like?

Here you go:

With:

P2253086.jpg

The spoiler is the thing above the taillights and rear window...it's a pretty mild spoiler, but looks decent. The side sill extension is the thing closest to the ground, between the two wheels.

Without:

My 5 is the "base" Sport without the side sills or spoiler. While they look nice, I neede the extra $$ for Snow tires on rims.

2179272321_c1d8756026_o.jpg

^^ It is a matter of taste I guess. Some owners here have said that the side sills and the spoiler kind of ruin the overall clean Mazda5 profile/line which kind of makes sense, but you know, different strokes for different folks...

^^ It is a matter of taste I guess. Some owners here have said that the side sills and the spoiler kind of ruin the overall clean Mazda5 profile/line which kind of makes sense, but you know, different strokes for different folks...

I like the sills, but not so much the spoiler. Honestly though, even in '07 when there were bigger differences, I still went with the base sport, as it was a lot for the $$.

CM5, you beat me to my own photo! Thankfully we're just about out of the snow and I can put the real wheels back on one of these days. The factory rims are probably more of a beautifier (over my winter steelies) than the appearance package though.

I like the sills, but not so much the spoiler. Honestly though, even in '07 when there were bigger differences, I still went with the base sport, as it was a lot for the $$.

Well, I'm kind of inclined to the side sills and the spoiler looks, but for my 08 I was already ready to buy the base Sport (yeah this spec s*&t about "Manual Tranny cannot have Pop Package for 08s"), yet I saw this one with the package at the dealer so went for it.

CM5, you beat me to my own photo!

:eek: Just recalled that the question was posted before somewhere. FWIW, I can tell you this one more time, that is the cleanest blue Mazda5 I've ever seen :D. I've been finding out that blue is a bad color to keep clean...

:eek: Just recalled that the question was posted before somewhere. FWIW, I can tell you this one more time, that is the cleanest blue Mazda5 I've ever seen :D. I've been finding out that blue is a bad color to keep clean...[/QUOTE]

truly?! oh well - if thats the color my man wants - then that's what he's getting and i like a happy man(cabpatch)

truly?! oh well - if thats the color my man wants - then that's what he's getting and i like a happy man(cabpatch)

Yeah, keep the man happy, that's what matters, ooga, ooga, LOL...

I'm amazed by what you get on the base Sport. Granted I haven't been in the car market in 9 years - but I do go to the NY Auto Show every year - and I'm surprised at how relatively little distinction there is in the Mazda5 model line. I would have thought that you'd have a lower base model and a higher top of the line. (And I'm assuming that most base cars today would come with floor mats, full carpeting, 6 speaker stereo w/CD, automatic transmission with manual shift ability and a tire pressure monitor - which is now required by federal law. These are all things that 10 years ago you paid extra for - but let's just keep them out of the picture. Where I am surprised, even by modern standards is the base Sport having 17" alloy wheels, body colored mirrors, automatic climate control, drivers seat w/height and lumbar adjustment, tilt/telescoping wheel, audio controls on the wheel, 2nd row seat storage & mini-table etc. These are all things that I would expect to be "withheld" on a base model - but they're not.

IMHO, Mazda really relies on the moonroof to carry you to the middle of the line (and I do know people who feel it's a must have) and the leather and Bluetooth, heated seats, fancy rear view mirror etc to pull you to the top of the line. Although those things are great - on my budget, I was absolutely thrilled to get all of what I think of as middle and upper line features on the base model.

I guess the most direct competitor in my mind - the Kia Rondo comes similarly equipped - if not slightly more so. (And there are plenty of less direct competitors in my mind - I know I was also considering a RAV 4 - but it was considerably more, as you had to buy upwards [requires 4x4 model vs cheaper 4x2] to get the third row seat option – which was a make or break feature for me.)

Last edited:
I'm old enough to remember option lists that were 9 pages long, and were available on any sub-model. I usually want a base vehicle with one option that requires going up a sub-model, along with 7 other things I DON'T want. Like, I just want a sunroof but don't want any of the other stuff that comes with that "package". Of course I ended up getting a used 5 so it didn't really matter anyway.

I know this has nothing to do with the 5, but spec out a Civic vs. a Corolla. Honda’s always had their DX, LX, EX lines and there are usually next to no options that you can add on to the trims. Go over to Toyota, and I don’t care if you buy their top trim, chances are you still have to add on options.

I like the thought of options in the sense of you can customize to exactly how you want it, but I more so appreciate the easier no nonsense approach by Honda (and similarly, Mazda).

cute pic daan ;)

Back